Singapore Expats

Tenancy Dispute (I'm the tenant) about the washing machine in the unit

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
abysswalker0914

Tenancy Dispute (I'm the tenant) about the washing machine in the unit

Post by abysswalker0914 » Thu, 28 Jun 2018 4:28 pm

Hi,

I am currently facing some issue on the new unit that I am going to move in on 1st of July. The owner and agent promised us that the unit is fully furnished with fridge and washing machine etc. However, after we signed the contract and paid the deposit. We found out there are several issue in the unit (Example: there are a lot of dirty stains here and there in the unit and we need to clean ourselves. The curtain is already spoilt since the pieces of cloths start to drop out here and there after washing. )

These small issue we can settle ourselves, but the problem is the washing machine. It seems like when the plate of the washing machine start spinning, a lot of brown color dirts start coming out of the plates. We meet up on 25th of Jun to discuss about this issue. I suggest that I pay the 50% rent first, then after she get the washing machine fixed, then I will pay the rest of the rental for the 1st month (I already paid the deposit btw). But she disagree and say I must do a full payment since she will be passing me all the keys on the spot also. In an act of good faith, I do a full payment to her, and the agent and the owner herself tell me to trust them to get the washing machine fixed.

However, what happened is, on the next day, she ask "her friend" to "service" the washing machine DIY. I noticed it based on the photo she sent me then I ask her for the receipt as proof to show that the washing machine is fixed properly but she indirectly say that she cannot do that since the "engineer" is her friend. She put one of my white cloths into the washing machine to wash and tell me that my cloth is clean as new. I cannot verify on the spot because I am working so I decide to go to check on the next day.

On 27th of Jun, I go back to the unit at night after work and check the washing machine. As I thought the brown dirt are still there. I checked my cloths that was hang just beside the washing machine and I can see that my cloths have the brown dirts sticked on it as well. ( I dunno how they claim that the shirt is clean) I was furious about it and call her and discuss this issue with her. She claims that the washing machine is just dirty and ask me to put my cloths inside and wash again till "The Dirts are all magically disappear"

I am going to moving in soon on 1st of July and I really fed up on what should I do. May I know is there anything I can do here besides of buy my own washing machine or ask the service man to fix the washing machine and I pay myself. Is there anything that I can do legally or file any complains etc?

Thanks a lot for the advise and help

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tenancy Dispute (I'm the tenant) about the washing machine in the unit

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 29 Jun 2018 3:18 pm

Just keep the pressure on.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

princessb

Post by princessb » Thu, 26 Jul 2018 5:36 pm

Owner should make sure all in order before tenants shift in.

girlinsg

Post by girlinsg » Fri, 03 Aug 2018 2:30 pm

Hi,

The same thing happened to me. We were reluctant to throw a perfectly good machine, even though the landlady was willing to replace it, and these were "flaky brown stuff" that could be brushed off easily with a few shakes once the clothing were dry. Not sure if this is the same thing for you?

It was due to the filters that were not cleaned properly by the last tenant. The buildup was disgusting, and the flakes looked really yucky too.

So we cleaned the filters, did many many rounds of tub cleans (both with bleach and without bleach). After about 4-5 days of tub cleaning (approx 3 times a day), the flakes lessened a lot. Soon enough they no longer appeared, unless we left the filters uncleaned for many washes again.

It is now a MUST to wash the filters after any laundry session. We have not seen the flakes again and it has been 4 years since.

Perhaps this might work for you? Especially if the machine is still in good condition?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 03 Aug 2018 4:35 pm

^ good point. Tubs do need regular cleaning cycles.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!