Singapore Expats

Citizenship approved in principle, scheduled overseas training in one month

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
greymatters1

Citizenship approved in principle, scheduled overseas training in one month

Post by greymatters1 » Wed, 27 Jun 2018 9:36 am

Hi everyone,

I had applied for Singapore citizenship 1 year ago with my family. I just got my in principle approval letter yesterday.

However, I had gotten a MOH funded scholarship to undertake an overseas clinical fellowship in the UK for 1 year starting this August. I had applied for a visa for that (Tier 5 training visa) with my family and it just got approved too yesterday.

I wont have time to complete the citizenship formalities before I go to the UK. And even if I try to complete it before, I may have to start the entire sponsorship/VISA process to the UK again. I cant renounce my current citizenship any time during this one year, else my UK visa becomes invalid. So I cant come back in between and do too.

Anyone has been in a similar situation before? What are my options? Will ICA allow to postpone completion of formalities by 1 year?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Citizenship approved in principle, scheduled overseas training in one month

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 27 Jun 2018 3:11 pm

Hahahah - oh the plans of mice and men. You're double phucked as Singapore won't allow dual citizenship either. You really didn't think that one through Sahib.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

user999

Post by user999 » Thu, 20 Jun 2019 1:11 am

Hi greymatters, i am in the exact situation right now (am scheduled to be in japan for 6 months, starting really soon and unable to complete formalities in time) . Can you advise what happened in your case please, since i see that your post was last year. Any luck getting an extension of sorts so you can remain overseas first?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 20 Jun 2019 12:39 pm

user999 wrote:Hi greymatters, i am in the exact situation right now (am scheduled to be in japan for 6 months, starting really soon and unable to complete formalities in time) . Can you advise what happened in your case please, since i see that your post was last year. Any luck getting an extension of sorts so you can remain overseas first?
2 cases are never the same. Explain the situtation to ICA and they will be able to help you