Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
Lees18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 3:21 am

Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by Lees18 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:43 pm

Hi All!

My question is can you come into Singapore on a visitor pass and then be issued a EP/SP? Do you need to buy an out bound journey or is the one way ticket fine?

My friend is currently working with a company based in London, he's heading over to Singapore with his GF in July (yes a in a few weeks) because she's got a job that starts 2nd July, the guys company wants him to work for a few more months (3) but in there SG office to help with the local office. My friend had applied for the working holiday visa but got rejected as the 2,000 places had already been filled, they are now trying to find a solution to this before the end of the week, they don't want to get him an EP/SP because they don't want to sponsor him for only a few months. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Shirley

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8225
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:51 pm

He won't succeed in working here legally with out an EP or SP or WHP unless he works remotely.

He actually 'may' get away with going in every day on an SVP for 30 days and coming back a week later for another 30 days. There are a lot of risks.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lees18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 3:21 am

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by Lees18 » Thu, 21 Jun 2018 12:01 am

PNGMK wrote:He won't succeed in working here legally with out an EP or SP or WHP unless he works remotely.

He actually 'may' get away with going in every day on an SVP for 30 days and coming back a week later for another 30 days. There are a lot of risks.
Thanks for this and the quick response, I don't think my friend wants to take the risk and affect his chances with an EP later down the line, can you get an EP for a 3 month period? Would that be easier than getting a 2 year visa?

Thanks!!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11649
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 21 Jun 2018 2:05 am

Lees18 wrote:Hi All!

My question is can you come into Singapore on a visitor pass and then be issued a EP/SP? Do you need to buy an out bound journey or is the one way ticket fine?

My friend is currently working with a company based in London, he's heading over to Singapore with his GF in July (yes a in a few weeks) because she's got a job that starts 2nd July, the guys company wants him to work for a few more months (3) but in there SG office to help with the local office. My friend had applied for the working holiday visa but got rejected as the 2,000 places had already been filled, they are now trying to find a solution to this before the end of the week, they don't want to get him an EP/SP because they don't want to sponsor him for only a few months. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Shirley
Lots of people come to Singapore on a tourist visa and work. Most common are those that come in from other offices of an MNC and work from a few days to a couple of months. I can guarantee you that the boatloads of people flying between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore each day are not tourists coming down to see the Merlion. They are business people, coming and going to conduct business.

Nobody really cares about this. The assumption (mostly correct) is that the people coming in work in another office, pay their taxes in another country, and aren't affecting the job market one whit. These are all short term people and they fall under the 60 day limit for no Singapore income taxation.

Now... your friend is dropping in... he's from the UK, he'll probably get a 90 day visa, and he can probably work for up to 60 days in the Singapore office, so long as he's still got an official home office that is paying him. You could probably go beyond 60, if he has a 90 day tourist visa, and no one will be the wiser.

You can get a short term EP (in reality, just apply for EP, give it up when done), and I don't know why the company wouldn't want to sponsor. There are no costs involved for an EP, other than the time it takes to apply online. His pay arrangements don't need to change, and he can be legally in the country for the duration of the EP.

Left unsaid in your questions is what happens to girlfriend and friend after 90 days. He either needs to get his own EP or he gets to go back home. No LTVP's or dependent passes for boyfriends and girlfriends. No such thing as common law. So... what's supposed to happen when the job ends?

Lees18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 3:21 am

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by Lees18 » Thu, 21 Jun 2018 4:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Lees18 wrote:Hi All!

My question is can you come into Singapore on a visitor pass and then be issued a EP/SP? Do you need to buy an out bound journey or is the one way ticket fine?

My friend is currently working with a company based in London, he's heading over to Singapore with his GF in July (yes a in a few weeks) because she's got a job that starts 2nd July, the guys company wants him to work for a few more months (3) but in there SG office to help with the local office. My friend had applied for the working holiday visa but got rejected as the 2,000 places had already been filled, they are now trying to find a solution to this before the end of the week, they don't want to get him an EP/SP because they don't want to sponsor him for only a few months. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Shirley
Lots of people come to Singapore on a tourist visa and work. Most common are those that come in from other offices of an MNC and work from a few days to a couple of months. I can guarantee you that the boatloads of people flying between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore each day are not tourists coming down to see the Merlion. They are business people, coming and going to conduct business.

Nobody really cares about this. The assumption (mostly correct) is that the people coming in work in another office, pay their taxes in another country, and aren't affecting the job market one whit. These are all short term people and they fall under the 60 day limit for no Singapore income taxation.

Now... your friend is dropping in... he's from the UK, he'll probably get a 90 day visa, and he can probably work for up to 60 days in the Singapore office, so long as he's still got an official home office that is paying him. You could probably go beyond 60, if he has a 90 day tourist visa, and no one will be the wiser.

You can get a short term EP (in reality, just apply for EP, give it up when done), and I don't know why the company wouldn't want to sponsor. There are no costs involved for an EP, other than the time it takes to apply online. His pay arrangements don't need to change, and he can be legally in the country for the duration of the EP.

Left unsaid in your questions is what happens to girlfriend and friend after 90 days. He either needs to get his own EP or he gets to go back home. No LTVP's or dependent passes for boyfriends and girlfriends. No such thing as common law. So... what's supposed to happen when the job ends?
Thanks for the advice!!!! Really appreciate it!

I think he wants to look for something more permanent before the 3 months is up (being in SG makes interviewing easier), especially because he doesn't know if he'll be granted the 89 days as a tourist visa.

Because the company hasnt applied for the visa and it does take a fairly long time to get the visa I think conscious that they might not get the EP before the 30days is up (so wanted to know options for it).

Just don't want to aggravate the MOM incase it affects future chances of a EP.

Thanks!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11649
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:30 pm

Lees18 wrote:Because the company hasnt applied for the visa and it does take a fairly long time to get the visa I think conscious that they might not get the EP before the 30days is up (so wanted to know options for it).
If you are coming from EU, UK, US, AU, etc, have good credentials, coming in to work for a recognized company that already has a solid track record with MoM, EP's get processed quickly... it used to be sometimes in 24 hours.

If you're coming from India, with credentials from a "never been heard of" uni that takes six weeks to respond to a document request, and you are going to work for a dodgy body shop that may or may not actually have a client into which you will be placed, then you can wait for months and months, my personal view being that MoM drops these applications in behind the water cooler in the hopes that you will just go away.

Although, as I mentioned, you can probably work under the scenario I provided above, it really is better to apply for the EP. It could be to his advantage... if he gets the EP, he already knows he at least meets certain criteria.

Lees18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 3:21 am

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by Lees18 » Fri, 22 Jun 2018 2:12 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Lees18 wrote:Because the company hasnt applied for the visa and it does take a fairly long time to get the visa I think conscious that they might not get the EP before the 30days is up (so wanted to know options for it).
If you are coming from EU, UK, US, AU, etc, have good credentials, coming in to work for a recognized company that already has a solid track record with MoM, EP's get processed quickly... it used to be sometimes in 24 hours.

If you're coming from India, with credentials from a "never been heard of" uni that takes six weeks to respond to a document request, and you are going to work for a dodgy body shop that may or may not actually have to client into which you be placed, then you can wait for months and months, my personal view being that MoM drops these applications in behind the water cooler in the hopes that you will just go away.

Although, as I mentioned, you can probably work under the scenario I provided above, it really is better to apply for the EP. It could be to his advantage... if he gets the EP, he already knows he at least meets certain criteria.
Update: the company is refusing to apply for an EP because they don't want to lose there quota for a 3 month job. They've asked him to re-apply for the working visitor pass (again mentioned that the 2,000 spaces is booked up). Looks like he'll try the above scenario! Thanks again for your help!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11649
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 22 Jun 2018 3:08 am

Lees18 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Lees18 wrote:Because the company hasnt applied for the visa and it does take a fairly long time to get the visa I think conscious that they might not get the EP before the 30days is up (so wanted to know options for it).
If you are coming from EU, UK, US, AU, etc, have good credentials, coming in to work for a recognized company that already has a solid track record with MoM, EP's get processed quickly... it used to be sometimes in 24 hours.

If you're coming from India, with credentials from a "never been heard of" uni that takes six weeks to respond to a document request, and you are going to work for a dodgy body shop that may or may not actually have to client into which you be placed, then you can wait for months and months, my personal view being that MoM drops these applications in behind the water cooler in the hopes that you will just go away.

Although, as I mentioned, you can probably work under the scenario I provided above, it really is better to apply for the EP. It could be to his advantage... if he gets the EP, he already knows he at least meets certain criteria.
Update: the company is refusing to apply for an EP because they don't want to lose there quota for a 3 month job. They've asked him to re-apply for the working visitor pass (again mentioned that the 2,000 spaces is booked up). Looks like he'll try the above scenario! Thanks again for your help!
There is no quota for an employment pass. If his credentials are insufficient, or the pay rate is insufficient and he can only qualify for an S-Pass, then that is a whole different ball game. There is a quota requirement for an S-Pass. There is a monthly charge levied for each S-Pass. And, S-Passes tend to be scrutinized to a greater degree.

You need to check the website URL below, and determine which pass you actually qualify for. If you do qualify for an EP, then your company is either misinformed or blowing smoke up your arse. If misinformed, you might explain to them how applying for an EP for you won't affect anything else... unless of course, they are already on MoM's radar for questionable employment practices.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38730
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Jun 2018 12:37 pm

Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Lees18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 3:21 am

Re: Short Term Work/Permits needed?

Post by Lees18 » Fri, 22 Jun 2018 7:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Lees18 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
If you are coming from EU, UK, US, AU, etc, have good credentials, coming in to work for a recognized company that already has a solid track record with MoM, EP's get processed quickly... it used to be sometimes in 24 hours.

If you're coming from India, with credentials from a "never been heard of" uni that takes six weeks to respond to a document request, and you are going to work for a dodgy body shop that may or may not actually have to client into which you be placed, then you can wait for months and months, my personal view being that MoM drops these applications in behind the water cooler in the hopes that you will just go away.

Although, as I mentioned, you can probably work under the scenario I provided above, it really is better to apply for the EP. It could be to his advantage... if he gets the EP, he already knows he at least meets certain criteria.
Update: the company is refusing to apply for an EP because they don't want to lose there quota for a 3 month job. They've asked him to re-apply for the working visitor pass (again mentioned that the 2,000 spaces is booked up). Looks like he'll try the above scenario! Thanks again for your help!
There is no quota for an employment pass. If his credentials are insufficient, or the pay rate is insufficient and he can only qualify for an S-Pass, then that is a whole different ball game. There is a quota requirement for an S-Pass. There is a monthly charge levied for each S-Pass. And, S-Passes tend to be scrutinized to a greater degree.

You need to check the website URL below, and determine which pass you actually qualify for. If you do qualify for an EP, then your company is either misinformed or blowing smoke up your arse. If misinformed, you might explain to them how applying for an EP for you won't affect anything else... unless of course, they are already on MoM's radar for questionable employment practices.
Thanks for this !! I think the company is blowing smoke up his ass but will let you know otherwise!

Thanks again!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests