Singapore Expats

Got an offer, EP approved but employment will not commence

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
panorama12

Got an offer, EP approved but employment will not commence

Post by panorama12 » Tue, 19 Jun 2018 6:19 pm

Hi All,

I am new in this forum.

I just want to ask if anyone has experienced the same as to what happened to me.

So basically, I applied to a company A, which has a client X.

I was interviewed and got an offer regarding the job. Signed the offer, Company A proceeds and processed my EP and got it approved. Now with my offer letter, commencement of job will be on June 18, 2018. but yesterday (June 18) when I went to company A, they said the position I was about to get was already filled up (some movements/internal hiring within client X). Now I am left hanging as my previous company before company A has canceled my Pass.

Please advise what to do. With this circumstances, what are the things I can do? should I look for a new job within 30 days?

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Got an offer, EP approved but employment will not commence

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:31 pm

You just learned the hard way about joining body shops. Now go find a job on your own where you know what is happening or get plan B greased up and ready to take off back to Manila.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

RDG

Post by RDG » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 4:34 pm

panorama12 wrote:Hi All,

I am new in this forum.

I just want to ask if anyone has experienced the same as to what happened to me.

So basically, I applied to a company A, which has a client X.

I was interviewed and got an offer regarding the job. Signed the offer, Company A proceeds and processed my EP and got it approved. Now with my offer letter, commencement of job will be on June 18, 2018. but yesterday (June 18) when I went to company A, they said the position I was about to get was already filled up (some movements/internal hiring within client X). Now I am left hanging as my previous company before company A has canceled my Pass.

Please advise what to do. With this circumstances, what are the things I can do? should I look for a new job within 30 days?

Thank you
That's crazy man. If they hired another candidate, atleast get a courtesy call from them before the commencement date. Maybe you can still salvage your resignation from the previous job, and save you all the trouble. But anyway, it is what it is. Chin up and look for another one. I can imagine you walking to that company, and they say you dont have a job there. Outrageous!

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 8:47 pm

Assuming there are no other issues between you, you should try to complain to MOM. It will be difficult to get any compensation or to even get your job back but if MOM receives many complaints of this kind regarding this company, the company's application for passes will be scrutinized or rejected in the future.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 9:02 pm

bro75 wrote:Assuming there are no other issues between you, you should try to complain to MOM. It will be difficult to get any compensation or to even get your job back but if MOM receives many complaints of this kind regarding this company, the company's application for passes will be scrutinized or rejected in the future.
bro75. I think MoM is quite happy to see these kinds of things. It already seems apparent that MoM doesn't want body shop firms in Singapore, at least not to the extent they were, and I think their only reaction will be, "Gee, that's too bad. Better get another job."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:53 pm

Meh. Not great loss. Adios amigo.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!