Singapore Expats

Do you think I will be able to find a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Do you think I will be able to find a job?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Jun 2018 11:24 pm

Honestly, be prepared to be unemployed. Else stay in your home country. While a LoC (Letter of Consent) can be gotten, you will need to qualify for it and it can't look like you are taking a lowly administrative job that would be taking a job away from a local. It's not easy.

If, when you say partner, means you are not married, unless your country recognizes common law or de facto marriages, you can forget the LoC as you would have to be eligible for a Dependent's Pass and unless you can get a document from your government that says they recognize the common law marriage as a legal union in their eyes, you will not be allowed to get the DP or LoC.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 17 Jun 2018 1:50 am

I believe that recognized common law marriage only gets one an LTVP these days, not a DP, although there doesn't seem to be much difference between them any more.

RDG

Post by RDG » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 4:55 pm

Hdrthtsr1995 wrote:Hi,

Hope you can help.

My partner has secured a teaching job in Singapore and I am coming with him. I am getting confused with the visas and job hunt.

Do you think I will be able to find a job?

I have 5 years office experience and am currently working as a Recruitment Consultant. I've read that foreigners are finding it hard to secure jobs at the moment and am starting to panic slightly! I don't want to be unemployed and rely on my Partner!!

Any advice you can give will be great.
I say give it a shot. Before coming here, try to apply as many as you can, so you can secure an interview. The challenge is, you don't have a local number yet. It helps if you have friends / relatives whom you can use their contact details in your CV. Just remember, nothing is guaranteed. You need to get out of the boat and swim, you will never know until you've tried. Better be with your partner rather than a long distance relationship. All the best!

"I can accept failure. Everybody fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying. Fear is an illusion.” — Michael Jordan

BaptisteB

Post by BaptisteB » Sun, 24 Jun 2018 5:42 pm

Also, you can start now to find a Job..? On social professionals networks for example. Good Luck!