Singapore Expats

Visiting Singapore

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
kuuumar

Visiting Singapore

Post by kuuumar » Thu, 14 Jun 2018 11:21 am

I am planning to visit Singapore shortly.I would like to have friends who can show me around,and I need accomodation for about 10 days.I will appreciate friends who will help me to find right place to stay.I will not be interested in expensive suits but will be glad to have a twin bed accommodation with a decent toilet.

OhWhutt

Re: Visiting Singapore

Post by OhWhutt » Thu, 14 Jun 2018 6:47 pm

kuuumar wrote:I am planning to visit Singapore shortly.I would like to have friends who can show me around,and I need accomodation for about 10 days.I will appreciate friends who will help me to find right place to stay.I will not be interested in expensive suits but will be glad to have a twin bed accommodation with a decent toilet.
Take a look at airbnb. Chances are peices are much more reasonable vs hotels.

Edit: apparently its illegal here so ney to airbnb
Last edited by OhWhutt on Thu, 14 Jun 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jun 2018 8:48 pm

OhWhutt wrote:
kuuumar wrote:I am planning to visit Singapore shortly.I would like to have friends who can show me around,and I need accomodation for about 10 days.I will appreciate friends who will help me to find right place to stay.I will not be interested in expensive suits but will be glad to have a twin bed accommodation with a decent toilet.
Take a look at airbnb. Chances are peices arw much more reasonable vs hotels.
You mean aside from being illegal in Singapore?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

OhWhutt

Post by OhWhutt » Thu, 14 Jun 2018 9:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
OhWhutt wrote:
My bad. Didn't realize. I retract my statement on what i said earlier.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 14 Jun 2018 10:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
OhWhutt wrote:
AirBnB is not illegal, per se... it's the renting of properties that are residential that are not allowed.

For example, I would agree with you when it comes to this listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5797755?location=Singapore

This is a condo in a residential unit, and there are many such listings. I would guess that the reason no one gets whacked is that there are lots of owners that are doing the same thing.

Then, there are AirBnB rentals that are definitely non-residential. This is where I am going to stay. The fellow is running a hotel business via AirBnB... no violations that I can see.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12703293

What is less clear is if an on premise owner elects to rent out a room. I haven't seen anything covering this situation, and it would be very difficult to police. After all, I've stayed at friends homes in the past.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5827713?location=Singapore

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Jun 2018 12:35 am

SE, I'm not sure on your interpretation on the place where you will be staying as the owner clearly states he's not running a hotel but sharing his home. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about? :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 15 Jun 2018 12:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:SE, I'm not sure on your interpretation on the place where you will be staying as the owner clearly states he's not running a hotel but sharing his home. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about? :???:
Interesting question. He's got a significant part of the shophouse dedicated to these types of rentals.

I'll let you know when we leave! :cool: