Singapore Expats Forum

LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
VJK_SG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 12 Jun 2018

LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby VJK_SG » Tue, 12 Jun 2018 2:57 pm

Hello,

I am an Indian Citizen married to a Singapore PR girl who is currently holding a Dependent PR. I have brought her to INDIA after marriage and she is currently working here. Her Dependent PR is getting expired by October 2019 and we planning to re-apply for her PR. Before that i require few clarifications on the below questions .Could anyone please provide best answers.?

1)Whether LTVP/LTVP+ pass can be applied for me if she is a Dependent PR?
2)Whether she must have a job in Singapore currently for applying a LTVP/LTVP+ pass for me?
3)What will be processing time for LTVP/LTVP+ pass?
4)Whether is it possible to apply for LTVP/LTVP+ pass for me if she is not working from singapore?

Regards,
V

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35120
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jun 2018 9:03 pm

Once the two of you marry, she is no longer a dependant of the PR Sponsor (her parent(s)). She lost that the moment you two said I do. She cannot be married and be a dependent PR unless the PR sponsor is her husband. Therefore, the biggest problem is she now will have to qualify for PR in her own right for PR and not as a dependant based on a PR parent. So in the short term at least there isn't any way you will qualify for either the LTVP or LTVP+. She will, at the minimum, need a job (probably paying in the neighbourhood of $4.5~5K/mo in order to sponsor, but there is no guarantee that she can even qualify for PR in her own right. Methinks your plan to marry her to gain PR just backfired.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11060
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 Jun 2018 10:28 pm

In addition to what SMS said, you say:

I have brought her to INDIA after marriage and she is currently working here.


You mean she is now living and working in India? And you are also living and working in India?

Even if SMS is wrong and she doesn't automatically lose PR because of marriage to you, her PR is at risk because she is not living and working in Singapore. And, her chances of getting her PR on her own are reduced to zero because she is not living and working in Singapore... that is what PERMANENT RESIDENCE means.

So... if you are both living and working in India, why do you want PR at all?

PS: Although it's all water under the bridge, she should have remained in Singapore, applied for PR in her own right, continued to live and work in Singapore, then applied for marriage and LTVP for you. I judge you will have problems getting into Singapore.

bcheng74
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016

LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby bcheng74 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018 10:30 pm

Want more clarity about dependent PR.

Will kids automatically lose their PR status upon turning 21?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 3:18 am

bcheng74 wrote:Want more clarity about dependent PR.

Will kids automatically lose their PR status upon turning 21?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes. They need to apply in their own right.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35120
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 9:28 am

PNGMK wrote:
bcheng74 wrote:Want more clarity about dependent PR.

Will kids automatically lose their PR status upon turning 21?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes. They need to apply in their own right.


Mostly yes. A male child will lose his PR but may be allowed to take up citizenship as if he is still a male PR at 21 it will mean he did do his NS obligation. (Citizenship is not guaranteed by doing NS anymore - that was done away with over a decade ago). However he can, depending on his job, experience, education qualify for an EP and eventually PR in his own right on his own qualifications.

However, a female, once reaching the age of majority (21) she can still retain her PR 'as long as she lives at home with her sponsor parents and remains single'. As soon as she marries, she loses her sponsor and will also be subject to the same rules anybody else who want to obtain PR. Or marries an SC or PR, but will still have to mark time until she/they qualify.

bcheng74
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016

Re: LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby bcheng74 » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
bcheng74 wrote:Want more clarity about dependent PR.

Will kids automatically lose their PR status upon turning 21?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes. They need to apply in their own right.


Mostly yes. A male child will lose his PR but may be allowed to take up citizenship as if he is still a male PR at 21 it will mean he did do his NS obligation. (Citizenship is not guaranteed by doing NS anymore - that was done away with over a decade ago). However he can, depending on his job, experience, education qualify for an EP and eventually PR in his own right on his own qualifications.

However, a female, once reaching the age of majority (21) she can still retain her PR 'as long as she lives at home with her sponsor parents and remains single'. As soon as she marries, she loses her sponsor and will also be subject to the same rules anybody else who want to obtain PR. Or marries an SC or PR, but will still have to mark time until she/they qualify.


How would that “losing PR” be implemented? Is that through rejection of REP renewal?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 8:01 pm

Yes. REP is the tool except in extreme cases where the PM for example cancels a person's PR, (for criminal or union activity have been the cases I've heard of).
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

bcheng74
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016

Re: LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby bcheng74 » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 8:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
bcheng74 wrote:Want more clarity about dependent PR.

Will kids automatically lose their PR status upon turning 21?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes. They need to apply in their own right.


Mostly yes. A male child will lose his PR but may be allowed to take up citizenship as if he is still a male PR at 21 it will mean he did do his NS obligation. (Citizenship is not guaranteed by doing NS anymore - that was done away with over a decade ago). However he can, depending on his job, experience, education qualify for an EP and eventually PR in his own right on his own qualifications.

However, a female, once reaching the age of majority (21) she can still retain her PR 'as long as she lives at home with her sponsor parents and remains single'. As soon as she marries, she loses her sponsor and will also be subject to the same rules anybody else who want to obtain PR. Or marries an SC or PR, but will still have to mark time until she/they qualify.


So again, if REP is not renewed for dependent PR reaching 21 or upon marriage, the PR status will still remain as long as the dependent PR stays in Singapore. In that case, dependent PR can't be converted to EP or any other identity.

Many young PRs stay in SG for long time since childhood, get all their education locally and consider themselves "Singaporeans". Parents should plan well ahead of the arrangement of their status upon turning 21.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35120
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: LTVP or LTVP+ passes

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jun 2018 1:44 pm

^^^^^
And YEAH, you would be surprised at the numbers that are caught unawares every year. I really don't know how the government grants PR to some people as they seem soooo blur at times. Or they are from the subcontinent and think they can somehow pull the wool over the eyes of the government here. More and more of them are getting burned now as well. We've seen how their "immigration" into Singapore has been 'curtailed' drastically since 2011. The government is wise to their ways now. But not laying out a roadmap for your dependent children especially once they hit their early teens is just plain ignorant.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests