Singapore Expats

LOC- 2 job offer at the same time but one company has processed LOC

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nyg1911

LOC- 2 job offer at the same time but one company has processed LOC

Post by nyg1911 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018 1:58 pm

HI

Need urgent advice and help. I got a offer from a company to join on contract basis in a industry and role that is absolutely new to me. Given how infinitely difficult it is to get an interview (let alone a job) here, I accepted and my LOC was put in process. Meanwhile another company got back to me after 2 weeks with an offer- a permanent position, an industry and role that aligns with my 9 years of experience.
My LOC has been processed by the first company and am absolutely conflicted about what to do. If I say no to them, how easy or difficult and risky is it to cancel one LOC and immediately apply for another one? Are there any cases of LOC being rejected for this reason? Can anyone please share their personal experience and give some advice.

Thanks!

RDG

Re: LOC- 2 job offer at the same time but one company has processed LOC

Post by RDG » Thu, 21 Jun 2018 12:29 pm

Hello. Im wife is under LOC. There is no rejection for LOC, once applied, you just need to wait for the approval. If you feel that the 2nd offer is better, Once your LOC is approved, talked to the 1st company and tell them you found another one. They will cancel it, and the 2nd company will have no trouble getting the approval. Again, LOC is like an FYI to the government. You are not applying for them to approve, its more of a formality, so that they know you are employed and also for tax considerations. Hope this helps!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: LOC- 2 job offer at the same time but one company has processed LOC

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jun 2018 6:56 pm

No longer exactly true. Now, if you are a B.Sc for instance in say philosophy, the odds are nigh on impossible to get a relevant job, but if you are a trailing spouse, and you have those kind of qualifications, you will not get a LoC for a job as a 1,800/mo Admin assistant as you could do say 5 or 10 years ago. You will be deemed to be taking a locals job and it will be rejected. You need to have at lease 'some' qualifications or previous experience to be able to justify giving you a position you have no experience or academics in.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers