Singapore Expats

PEP processing time (personal employment pass)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
floyd7861

Re: PEP processing time (personal employment pass)

Post by floyd7861 » Fri, 04 Mar 2022 1:12 pm

Applied on Jan 3rd 2022, still waiting (9th week now). Called them yesterday and they said they will put in an escalation.

lurker345

Post by lurker345 » Wed, 09 Mar 2022 10:06 am

Applied on Jan 9th, still pending

lurker345

Post by lurker345 » Wed, 09 Mar 2022 10:48 am

any news @floyd7861 ?

floyd7861

Post by floyd7861 » Wed, 09 Mar 2022 5:10 pm

No news @lurker345 - this is the 10th week.

You?

lurker345

Post by lurker345 » Thu, 10 Mar 2022 9:28 am

I called and they put an escalation. will keep you posted

lurker345

Post by lurker345 » Thu, 10 Mar 2022 9:31 am

@floyd7861 have you tried calling again?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:31 am

You guys are starting to sound like broken records.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

floyd7861

Post by floyd7861 » Fri, 11 Mar 2022 6:15 pm

Received approval on March 10.

How is the 144K salary requirement fulfilled? Does it include any bonus or stock grants etc. or does it need to be base salary?

Also, does the 144K salary need to be made AFTER receiving PEP or in the calendar year regardless of when you get your PEP approval?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 11 Mar 2022 7:17 pm

floyd7861 wrote:
Fri, 11 Mar 2022 6:15 pm
Received approval on March 10.

How is the 144K salary requirement fulfilled? Does it include any bonus or stock grants etc. or does it need to be base salary?

Also, does the 144K salary need to be made AFTER receiving PEP or in the calendar year regardless of when you get your PEP approval?
1. Base Salary - Fixed Salary
2. Pro-rate 12K per month for the remaining of the calendar year when it was approved.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Mar 2022 7:32 pm

It means you base salary needs to be at least 12K/mo unless you already have your PEP and then find out you need a new job. For every month you remain unemployed on the issued PEP then the basic salary for the remainder of the year will have to be an additional 8.3333333% higher to compensate for the unemployed time on the PEP. If you have lost your 12K/mo salary for 6 months of the year, you need a new position in order to fulfill the required 144K/pa before the end of the year. And yes, it means base salary.

It means after, but you will already have fulfilled the before before getting your PEP as it's part and parcel to the qualification in order to apply for it.

Eligibility and requirements for Personalised Employment Pass
Eligible high-earning foreign professionals can apply for a Personalised Employment Pass. Pass holders have greater job flexibility than with other work passes. However, they need to meet certain requirements to hold the pass.

Who is eligible
You can apply for a Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) if you are:

An overseas foreign professional and your last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $18,000. Your last drawn salary should have been within 6 months before you apply.
An Employment Pass holder earning a fixed monthly salary of at least $12,000.

Who is not eligible
You are not eligible for the PEP if you are:

An Employment Pass holder under the sponsorship scheme.
A freelancer or foreigner who intends to work on a freelance-basis.
A sole proprietor, partner or where a director is also a shareholder in an ACRA-registered company.
A journalist, editor, sub-editor or producer.
Note: You are not allowed to start a business or conduct any form of entrepreneurial activity while on a PEP. If you intend to do so, you should apply for an EntrePass.

Requirements of the pass
To keep holding a PEP, you must:

Not be unemployed in Singapore for more than 6 months at any time. Otherwise, you will need to cancel the pass.
*Earn a fixed salary of at least $144,000 per calendar year, regardless of the number of months you are in employment.
Notify us of the following:
When you start or leave a job.
If you change your contact details, such as local contact person or address.
Your annual fixed salary. You need to declare your current year's salary to us by 31 January of the following year.
*For example you have had the PEP for a full year but you found yourself out of work for 4 months from 1 April till the end of of July of that year. for you to obtain the 144K/pa under the terms of the agreement you would have to earn 18K/mo for the other 8 months of the year or else lose your PEP.

If you get your PEP on the 1st of July then you must earn 72K before the end of the year. If you lose your job for 2 months Then you must earn at least 18K/mo to make up the required 72K for the 6 month of the PEP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

floyd7861

Post by floyd7861 » Sat, 12 Mar 2022 6:25 pm

Got it - so I got my PEP on March 10th so in effect my yearly salary as of Dec 31 2022 should be 12K * ~8.5 months = $102,000 SGD correct regardless of what I made from in Jan and Feb 2022.

Now if I am able to hit 102K in say August 31st (March to August salary totals to 102K), then Sept to Dec there is no requirement to earn anything correct?

Plus I can be without a job from September to Feb (6 months max unemployment) and as long as I can start earning from March 2023 to Dec 2023 a total of 144K, my PEP is still valid?

The reason I applied for PEP is more to be able to quit my job and take a break - but it's quite complicated to make it work looks like :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Mar 2022 9:39 pm

floyd7861 wrote:
Sat, 12 Mar 2022 6:25 pm
Got it - so I got my PEP on March 10th so in effect my yearly salary as of Dec 31 2022 should be 12K * ~8.5 months = $102,000 SGD correct regardless of what I made from in Jan and Feb 2022.

Now if I am able to hit 102K in say August 31st (March to August salary totals to 102K), then Sept to Dec there is no requirement to earn anything correct?

Plus I can be without a job from September to Feb (6 months max unemployment) and as long as I can start earning from March 2023 to Dec 2023 a total of 144K, my PEP is still valid?

The reason I applied for PEP is more to be able to quit my job and take a break - but it's quite complicated to make it work looks like :)
In theory you might be right, but do you want to gamble getting a one way ticket out of Singapore?
Your annual fixed salary. You need to declare your current year's salary to us by 31 January of the following year.

If you make the slightest misstep, you will be just another of the "Hated Countrymen"" who burn bridges for other by abusing what the government give in good faith. This is exactly why the PEP program was reduced from 5 years in it's inception to the current 3 years. The good part about this is that it's NOT renewable and there is always a good possibility that the government will use the expiration of the PEP to get rid of the abusers by not issuing an EP later nor approving PR applications to those who appear to have abused the program. To me it is a fitting conclusion.

floyd7861

Post by floyd7861 » Sun, 13 Mar 2022 3:38 pm

I don't understand - what is the abuse here? The whole point of applying for a PEP is to have additional flexibility. If taking breaks while ensuring you are matching the overall salary requirements is considered abuse then why do we need PEP in the first place?

Is it just got people who fear losing their job and not having enough time to find another and not have to go back to their country immediately?
Because if that is case then I might have wasted my money on this type of a pass.

I actually already applied for a PR in February of this year so definitely don't want to run afoul of any such abuse.

keisuke

Post by keisuke » Sun, 13 Mar 2022 3:58 pm

For @floyd7861's case. The IPA is valid for 6 months. How about resting on the IPA only for 5-6 months before issuing the pass? This way would allow @floyd7861 to legally stay in SG and put less pressure on the next job's salary.

I want to hear more opinions on this, especially from @sundaymorningstaple

floyd7861

Post by floyd7861 » Sun, 13 Mar 2022 6:45 pm

That is a very interesting option - thank you keisuke. Can I rest on the IPA for a few months and then switch to the PEP only after I decide to leave my current job/take a break. I don't plan on changing at least for a few months (let's say early July or so).

Also, if I never even convert to PEP and stay with EP, would that be considered an abuse and will that mean I am not eligible for another PEP in the future?

Thanks everyone - this is a very helpful forum !