Singapore Expats

PEP processing time (personal employment pass)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Snowman1977

Re: PEP processing time (personal employment pass)

Post by Snowman1977 » Thu, 13 May 2021 3:31 am

richsing wrote:
Mon, 26 Apr 2021 2:07 pm
Pepapril wrote:
Mon, 19 Apr 2021 4:39 pm
Hi @abhicrm... Any update on your application? I applied last week. Would be keen to know from others how long it is taking now a days for approvals.
Based on my experience and others on here, it takes a minimum of 8 weeks and there is no point chasing it until then. During Covid disruption, this timeframe became extended as there were a surge of applications from people fearing retrenchment (based reading threads on here).

Believe things are back to normal, but expect 8 weeks min IF all your docs are in order and no adverse issues with your application.

Also consider why you would want a PEP. hey have limited benefits and a number of potential disadvantages. I have one approved but not issued yet (about to issue). Had to really think about the pros and cons of my own situation to make the right decision for me.
Hi,

Very interested to hear what you believe the cons of a PEP might be as I am considering applying for one? I hadn’t considered any cons and only thought the additional flexibility of employer would be beneficial.
Do you know if you have a PEP does this make you easier to employ as a foreigner than them having to apply for an EP? I had assumed yes but maybe incorrectly?

Thanks,
James.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 13 May 2021 6:29 am

Snowman1977 wrote:
Thu, 13 May 2021 3:31 am
Very interested to hear what you believe the cons of a PEP might be as I am considering applying for one? I hadn’t considered any cons and only thought the additional flexibility of employer would be beneficial.
The primary problem is that it can be issued only once. It is for a period of three years. During this time you must convert to an employment pass or PR or you're out of the country.

If you remain unemployed for more than 6 months, your pass will be cancelled.

You must earn a fixed salary of at least $144,000 per calendar year, regardless of the number of months you are in employment. Out of work for 6 months in 2021? Then you'll need to earn $24,000 per month for the 6 months that you are working, or your pass will be cancelled.

Like other employment passes, you cannot freelance on a PEP. Nor can you be the director of your own company.

The PEP is an odd bird. If you're coming in for a permanent, high paying job and you have a PEP, then your hiring company knows that they will be able to hire you without any employment pass hassle from the gahmen. Implicit in this is the understanding that at some point your company is going to get a regular EP for you, otherwise you are home bound.

The big danger of the PEP is the fixed salary requirements. It's pretty clear. You need to earn $144,000 per year, regardless of the number of months of employment. Fail to do this and it's time to "git along little dogie."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 May 2021 12:01 pm

MD, I see a hidden subterfuge by MOM in the ease that they have been giving out PEP since the start 2019. I might be wrong, but we all know how the locals feel about foreign highflyers from certain countries. This might be a calculated gamble on the government's part. If they convert enough highflyers from EP to PEP which has only a 3 year non-renewable shelf life, at the end of that, they have to apply for PR (easily rejected) or hopefully get an EP, also easily rejected (new application, not renewal). No explanations necessary. This only gives all those who are taking up the PEP an additional 12 month benefit over the EP in reality along with the rest of the cons you've already point out. Then they will all have to move on, leaving positions open for the locals who are doing all the bellyaching thus possibly securing more votes in the next GE. While probably not true, it would not surprise me as you and I both know, they have pulled some shady things over the years.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Snowman1977

Post by Snowman1977 » Thu, 13 May 2021 2:40 pm

Hi MD and SMS thanks both for your replies and that certainly gives some extra considerations that I had previously not thought of. In fact i had incorrectly assumed that the PEP could be renewed in a similar way to an EP and it is indeed strange that they dont allow that....

I guess my longer term plan was EP, PEP then PR but as the PEP cannot be renewed i put myself at risk if the PR is not approved.

While i have such a helpful group responding, although going of the thread topic, given the below details after how many years living in Singapore would you recommend applying for PR:

43 year old UK national married to Singaporean with degree
Salary above PEP requirement level
5 year old child with UK passport (does going to International School negatively impact PR application due to not integrating to SG life?)
In addition i previously lived in Singapore for 4 years (2011 to 2014)

I know there is no definite answer but be interested hear peoples views...

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 May 2021 8:17 pm

Snowman, thank you for the additional information. May make a big difference, but again, may not.

If you take up a PEP, you will almost have to apply for PR before the end of the 2nd year assuming a minimum of 12 months processing time (could be as long a 18 to 23 months). The other reason is at the end of your PEP you will have entered the twilight zone (age 45 & above) where it's iffy when trying to get PR at all. We seen it done, but it's getting rarer and rarer. I'm one of the rare ones who used family ties but I had to change professions in order to accomplish it as I worked offshore in the O & G business for the first 8 years here so actually lived here for 8 years on SVP, 3 years on an EP (I was 47 when I got my PR, but that was 26 years ago - times have changed considerably, including several GEs whereas the locals have been up in arms with regard to senior level positions as I'm sure your are aware of as I believe you were possibly here for the 2011 GE where the brown stuff really hit the fan the first time.

Another major stumbling block I see with regard to PR application success in the future is that those in your income ranges tend to follow the money and PR applications are often rejected for high level salary earners as they will generally be parachuted into different locations when necessary or perks of 30~50K are offered. Singapore sees these people as 'flight' risks so figure giving them PR is not in the country's best interest as the likelihood of flight is higher so we've seen a rather large number over the past couple of years of these types being rejected. In you case your saving grace is being married to a local so her roots are pretty strongly grounded (and probably why you are back, truth be known) - I've been married to a local for 38 years.

Above all take everything MD & I say as our personal opinions. They are grounded in lots of anecdotal evidence but still are educated opinions only. You have to follow your heart and use common sense. Good Luck.

NB: If you do apply for PR and the child in school is a male an being kept on an Student Visa without adding him to the PR application, have a read at this link (one of many I've posted over the years of the pitfalls of keeping children on foreign status when one parent is a SGC with the express intent of avoiding NS for the child. viewtopic.php?p=802773#p802773
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Unobtanium0111

Post by Unobtanium0111 » Sun, 30 May 2021 11:06 am

Found this thread very helpful!

I wanted to check if the PEP applications are still taking more than 8 weeks or has the situation improved in 2021. Applied for PEP and DP last week.

Also, if I call the MOM before the 8 week timeline, will MOM be inclined to expedite the application process. I am presently on an EP and want to resign from my present job to start with my new job for which I need the PEP. I meet all eligibility criteria.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 May 2021 12:00 pm

Wait till you have at least passed the 7 week mark if you feel you must agitate them.

Pepapril

Post by Pepapril » Mon, 31 May 2021 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,

Sharing my timelines.

Applied in the first week of April. Got approved today. Only one call to Mom was made somewhere in the 5th week but they just asked me to wait till 8th week.

Regards,

Rocketboy

Post by Rocketboy » Mon, 31 May 2021 6:14 pm

Hi Everyone, new on this forum, also want to share my timeline:

As of today it has been exactly 11 weeks and still pending.

I called MOM on May 21st asking to expedite, was given a case number and was told "call us back in 3 working days if no outcome", called again today, gave the case number and was told "your case number has a note that says - outcome by June 4th, you can call us on June 5th if still no outcome and we then can expedite second time"...

If I really have to wait to june 5th that would be 11 weeks waiting time :o
Last edited by Rocketboy on Sat, 05 Jun 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 May 2021 11:54 pm

It's hard to sympathise when others have been waiting 23 months for a PR application.

There is this thing going around called COVID-19 and has most offices half staffed or worse including government offices. There are no guidelines at the moment. It is what it is. You buys your ticket at the worst time in the government's history and you expect to be waited on like a queen. It is what it is. There are no protocols to be followed at the moment. The actual waiting time? How long is a piece of string?

Nycsing

Post by Nycsing » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 3:14 pm

Does anyone know if PEP application can be made in parallel with a DP application. I am on EP probably will be for another 2-4weeks. I am planning to apply for PEP today. Assuming it doesn’t come through before end of STVP period, can I apply for DP while PEP is pending?

simple_guy
Regular
Regular

Post by simple_guy » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 9:27 pm

Hi

Can anyone please tell me if one joins a new company on a contract and meet the PEP salary criteria; can h/she apply for PEP? If yes, how many days/month after joining the organization it's possible to apply for PEP?

Thanks

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Fri, 04 Jun 2021 12:00 am

simple_guy wrote:
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 9:27 pm
Hi

Can anyone please tell me if one joins a new company on a contract and meet the PEP salary criteria; can h/she apply for PEP? If yes, how many days/month after joining the organization it's possible to apply for PEP?

Thanks
Some clarity in the use of words is a good starting place. Unless you are a Singapore citizen or PR, you cannot join a company "on contract" because that implies that you are not an employee, and therefore, self employed, and only citizens and PR's can be self employed.

You need an EP to work in Singapore, as apparently you are a foreigner, since you are asking questions about a PEP.

There are two scenarios here:

Scenario 1 - You are living in Singapore - Assuming that you have joined a new company, that means that you have signed an "employment contract", you are an employee, not a contractor, and have been issued an EP that you and your new company applied for.

If this is you, then yes, you can apply for a PEP. "An Employment Pass holder earning a fixed monthly salary of at least $12,000" can apply for a PEP. But why would you do this? You already have the legal right to live and work in Singapore, and your EP can be renewed. Your PEP cannot. The only reason you might want a PEP is if you know that the company is going to release you and you want time to find a job. But, since you just joined, this seems unlikely.

Scenario 2 - You are not living in Singapore. This means that you can indeed be a foreign contractor to a Singapore company, and you would sign a contract. You work remotely, not in Singapore. You would be a contractor, not an employee.

If this is the case, then you can also apply for a PEP. "An overseas foreign professional and your last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $18,000." But, even if you succeed in getting a PEP, that doesn't mean that the company wants to bring you to Singapore. You need to make very sure that the company will hire you in Singapore. If they don't, your PEP is worthless for working for that company.

simple_guy
Regular
Regular

Post by simple_guy » Fri, 04 Jun 2021 12:03 pm

@Myasis Dragon.
Sorry for the ambiguity in the question and thanks for the detailed answer. My question was related to scenario 1 where employment contract may be just for 1 year and/or there is uncertainty in the job(never know if a project gets cancelled after 3 months whereas the employment contract was signed for 1 year). So just wanted to know the safe options in terms of PEP.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 04 Jun 2021 8:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 13 May 2021 12:01 pm
MD, I see a hidden subterfuge by MOM in the ease that they have been giving out PEP since the start 2019. I might be wrong, but we all know how the locals feel about foreign highflyers from certain countries. This might be a calculated gamble on the government's part. If they convert enough highflyers from EP to PEP which has only a 3 year non-renewable shelf life, at the end of that, they have to apply for PR (easily rejected) or hopefully get an EP, also easily rejected (new application, not renewal). No explanations necessary. This only gives all those who are taking up the PEP an additional 12 month benefit over the EP in reality along with the rest of the cons you've already point out. Then they will all have to move on, leaving positions open for the locals who are doing all the bellyaching thus possibly securing more votes in the next GE. While probably not true, it would not surprise me as you and I both know, they have pulled some shady things over the years.
They can just reject EP renewals. They have done a bit of that a couple of years ago. Not sure what's the current situation. They don't have to give out PEPs before they reject EPs so what's the difference?