Singapore Expats

PEP processing time (personal employment pass)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PEP processing time (personal employment pass)

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 13 Mar 2022 8:00 pm

floyd7861 wrote:
Sun, 13 Mar 2022 6:45 pm
That is a very interesting option - thank you keisuke. Can I rest on the IPA for a few months and then switch to the PEP only after I decide to leave my current job/take a break. I don't plan on changing at least for a few months (let's say early July or so).

Also, if I never even convert to PEP and stay with EP, would that be considered an abuse and will that mean I am not eligible for another PEP in the future?

Thanks everyone - this is a very helpful forum !
You can do that, but next time you apply for PR, etc - This record will be there and may show up that you were not strong with the decision that you made? Better not to take advantage of a lot of options and make things complex for you and also for those who apply in future.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Mar 2022 8:10 pm

Up until 2020 is was relatively hard to get PEP, regardless of your salary level. But when Covid hit, there were a combination of factors in play that may or may not have impacted the way that PEPs were granted. I have no confirmation of this other than 25 years of HR on the little Red Dot. From what we saw sitting here on this board is that every Tom, Lim & Prasad were applying for PEP when companies started shedding personnel and/or closing their doors. People were trying to buy time in the hopes that they could find another position as the positions were drying up much faster than any were being created. Add to that, the CECA and abuses by Indian Nationals who had been here long enough to make it into HR senior positions became common knowledge and the Indian diaspora started seeing the writing on the wall as more and more positions were being shed. The vast majority of applicants that we saw on this forum were from Indian Nationals, and this is still holding true two years down the road. Most were applying only to have a extended window to try to find another job as they were afraid of being stuck here without a job or having to return to their own country where Covid was having a field day.

From where I'm sitting I see it as a means for the Government to thin out the ranks here and reduce the ethnic imbalance in certain industries due to errant HR Managers. It's what I would have done, if faced with a resident population that is getting antsy and getting near to an GE. Find a way to thin the loading in the high-tech/financial industries, as the gov't, they had to been seen as doing something to overcome their own laxity. Give all these people to apply for PEP that can qualify for it. Those jobs will probably disappear and then when the PEP expires, there is nothing saying they have to approve an EP later. And they rarely, if every, give a reason. So the EP holder who stayed on EP may or may not make it through renewal (their guidelines are not a stringent as PEP), Those who opted for PEP, generally did it out of fear as this way they would have a 3 year visa or time to possibly find another position, or at least wouldn't have to walk into the lion's den of their own covid infected country. And when the PEP expires, they are under absolutely no requirements to give someone an EP if they gave it up previously. Add CECA and the general misunderstanding about it with the general resident public, it also gives a way to thin the herd out over a 3 year window.

If you get an IPA but don't use it, e.g., you remain on your EP and let the IPA expire then you will be able to apply for one later. But once the IPA is converted to the PEP. That's it, regardless of whether you give it up and return to an EP or not it can only be issued once.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

floyd7861

Post by floyd7861 » Mon, 14 Mar 2022 11:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 13 Mar 2022 8:10 pm
Up until 2020 is was relatively hard to get PEP, regardless of your salary level. But when Covid hit, there were a combination of factors in play that may or may not have impacted the way that PEPs were granted.
Thank you for the detailed note and reply. I will go ahead and convert my EP to PEP.

You make very valid points around the whole CECA, COVID and India populations applying for PEP (at least those who are eligible salary wise).

For myself, I just moved a couple of years from the US (American Citizen with a second EU passport) so might be in a different boat than many of the other PEP applicants.

I am not sure how long I want to stay in SG anyhow - so might as well enjoy the flexibility of a PEP - I did apply for a PR a couple of months ago since might as well since I am here and if I get it, might think of staying here longer term but if not, probably leave in a year or two or so.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:02 am

Before I get torched on a cross or pyre, please let me clarify something to our other readers.

For those who are new here, and might not know or understand me, I am an old, crusty, farmboy who has been around the block a few times and retired only a half a year before covid hit (mid 2019 at the age of 71.5 years). To save you all searching the archives which sadly many don't bother, I've been married to a local Indian lady for 38 years now. I have nothing bad to sad about that ethnic group of people and what I do say is easily verifiable. I have nothing but respect for the intelligence of a lot of Indian Expatriates. Just look at the US Fortune 500 and see how many of the top 100 US companies are headed by Indian CEO's. But there are a number of bad habits and I suppose all ethnic groups have them to a certain extent, but at least here in Singapore where ethnic demographics are artificially controlled by the government (social engineering anybody?) Abuses by some ethnic groups become showcased due to the relevant small total population and even smaller demographic percentage held by some. I am known for not blowing smoke on anything. I tend to say it the way I see in and try to put things in a context that is meant to not give latitude to different nuances. It's my directness and willingness to voice out the unpleasantness as well as accolades that's kept me here for the last 17 years and in Singapore 4 decades in June. So please, folks, don't shoot the messenger. I try to give the straight skinny without favour or prejudice. Peace. sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

floyd7861

Post by floyd7861 » Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:30 am

Not sure about others but sundaymorningstaple you had a very clear and concise and not the least discriminatory post. I am new to this forum and to SG generally but your take has been very valuable.

Keep doing the good work

zegnaangelo

Post by zegnaangelo » Wed, 13 Apr 2022 2:24 pm

Anyone has any experience applying for PEP from overseas?
Does applying from overseas make it harder/easier/same (provided the salary requirements are met)?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 13 Apr 2022 4:19 pm

zegnaangelo wrote:
Wed, 13 Apr 2022 2:24 pm
Anyone has any experience applying for PEP from overseas?
Does applying from overseas make it harder/easier/same (provided the salary requirements are met)?
Same.

pakchoy

Post by pakchoy » Mon, 27 Jun 2022 2:51 pm

Hi, I'm an existing EP holder, will be starting a new job (IPA is issued) in few months.

That new job will meet the criteria for minimum income for PEP, and I'm considering to apply.

Question is:
Can I immediately apply for PEP after my first drawn salary in the new company?

Thank you.

KevinBanes

Post by KevinBanes » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 12:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently looking into applying for a PEP. I'm now on an EP and understand that you can get a PEP if you earn at least SGD 12k a month.

I wondered whether it matters for getting your PEP application approved how much above the SGD 12k mark you actually earn? Will you have higher chances of it being approved when you earn SGD 20k than if you earn SGD 13k for example?

Or is it pretty binary: if you earn above SGD 12k it will in general be approved, no matter how much more than SGD 12k you earn?

Thanks a lot!

Kevin

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Jul 2022 2:58 pm

pakchoy wrote:
Mon, 27 Jun 2022 2:51 pm
Hi, I'm an existing EP holder, will be starting a new job (IPA is issued) in few months.

That new job will meet the criteria for minimum income for PEP, and I'm considering to apply.

Question is:
Can I immediately apply for PEP after my first drawn salary in the new company?

Thank you.
I believe you must submit 6 months pay vouchers to support your claim, so that might slow you down by about half a year.

KevinBanes

Post by KevinBanes » Tue, 02 Aug 2022 5:23 pm

KevinBanes wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 12:44 pm
Hi all,

I'm currently looking into applying for a PEP. I'm now on an EP and understand that you can get a PEP if you earn at least SGD 12k a month.

I wondered whether it matters for getting your PEP application approved how much above the SGD 12k mark you actually earn? Will you have higher chances of it being approved when you earn SGD 20k than if you earn SGD 13k for example?

Or is it pretty binary: if you earn above SGD 12k it will in general be approved, no matter how much more than SGD 12k you earn?

Thanks a lot!

Kevin
Does anyone happen to have experience relating to the above query?

Also, when you submit your application for a PEP while still having a valid EP, but the EP expires before the PEP is formally approved, will you then need still be considered an EP-holder for purposes of the PEP-application process (so that you only need to comply with the SGD 12,000 per month threshold)?

Or do they then consider you to be 'an overseas foreign professional' and your last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas should be at least SGD 18,000?

Thanks

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:50 pm

KevinBanes wrote:
Tue, 02 Aug 2022 5:23 pm
KevinBanes wrote:
Sat, 16 Jul 2022 12:44 pm
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!

Kevin
Does anyone happen to have experience relating to the above query?

Also, when you submit your application for a PEP while still having a valid EP, but the EP expires before the PEP is formally approved, will you then need still be considered an EP-holder for purposes of the PEP-application process (so that you only need to comply with the SGD 12,000 per month threshold)?

Or do they then consider you to be 'an overseas foreign professional' and your last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas should be at least SGD 18,000?

Thanks
As long as salary over 12k, the salary requirement is met. Nothing like 20k has more chance than 13k. Pep also considers many other factors. salary is just one of them..as long as you meet 12k it's ok.

Why don't you renew the ep till you get your pep approved. For them to consider you as an ep holder for a pep, you surely need an valid ep. If you are not on a valid ep, how will you prove to use the route of ep holder ? Don't try to make things complex.

KevinBanes

Post by KevinBanes » Wed, 03 Aug 2022 9:53 pm

Thanks!

I have an EP now, but it expires within 3 months and my employer will not extend it. So I might not get the PEP approval when my EP is still 'active'. Is this an issue?

Thanks

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 03 Aug 2022 11:38 pm

KevinBanes wrote:
Wed, 03 Aug 2022 9:53 pm
Thanks!

I have an EP now, but it expires within 3 months and my employer will not extend it. So I might not get the PEP approval when my EP is still 'active'. Is this an issue?

Thanks
If you dont have a valid EP when your PEP is still in progress it may become an issue. Why dont you proactively find another job in the next 3 months?

PEP processing time is approx 8 weeks in most cases, post which you can request them to expedite if needed.

whiterabbit86

Post by whiterabbit86 » Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:54 am

Applied on May 23rd and still waiting for my approval.

Called MOM but there's no option to speak to a real person.
Have used their feedback form without any success.

Well above the salary range specified. This process is getting a bit tricky now :/