Singapore Expats

Question on REP renewal process

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
qhimiko

Question on REP renewal process

Post by qhimiko » Sun, 10 Jun 2018 10:11 pm

Hello,

I have a question regarding REP renewal process:

Let's say my current REP will be expired in 15 Aug 2018. I have applied REP renewal online while overseas and I just received news today that it is unfortunately rejected. Tomorrow (11 June 2018), am I able to enter Singapore using my current REP that still hasn't expired yet (Expiry Date: 15 Aug) while retaining my PR status? In other words, is my current REP still valid despite my renewal application being rejected? Or is the current REP automatically revoked following failure of getting it renewed?

Thank you in advance for all your inputs.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Question on REP renewal process

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 2:13 am

Your current REP will be valid through its expiry date.

qhimiko

Post by qhimiko » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 1:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Your current REP will be valid through its expiry date.
Thank you for your reply Strong Eagle.

Pardon me for asking, do you know this for certain? Maybe based on experience or some rule in ICA website that I overlooked? I just want to be sure that this is indeed the case. Sent an email to ICA but no reply so far.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 9:04 pm

qhimiko wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Your current REP will be valid through its expiry date.
Thank you for your reply Strong Eagle.

Pardon me for asking, do you know this for certain? Maybe based on experience or some rule in ICA website that I overlooked? I just want to be sure that this is indeed the case. Sent an email to ICA but no reply so far.
Of course, the ICA is going to be the final determinant, and, I have NEVER seen the ICA revoke a PR because a REP wasn't approved. Call them. Visit them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:06 pm

I once went 15 months without an REP without losing my PR. Of course I didn't leave Singapore during that period. Not even JB or Batam.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

qhimiko

Post by qhimiko » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:27 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Of course, the ICA is going to be the final determinant, and, I have NEVER seen the ICA revoke a PR because a REP wasn't approved. Call them. Visit them.
Thank you for replying.

I meant the original REP that is revoked, not the PR itself. My initial concern was because I am positioned overseas and my REP renewal is denied, it automatically invalidates the original REP hence I lose my PR as a result of being overseas without any valid REP.

I did managed to call them today actually (after a long wait) and they did confirmed your answer, approval/rejection of renewal process doesn't affect the expiry date of the original REP.

qhimiko

Post by qhimiko » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I once went 15 months without an REP without losing my PR. Of course I didn't leave Singapore during that period. Not even JB or Batam.
Thank you SMS for sharing this information. I did stumble into your older post mentioning this when I used the search function, but thanks for sharing it regardless.

gianfrance

Post by gianfrance » Fri, 27 Jul 2018 9:07 am

why did your REP renewal is not success?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 Jul 2018 9:43 am

gianfrance wrote:why did your REP renewal is not success?
Because he is living overseas and not in Singapore. PR means Permanent RESIDENT, and the gahmen rightly asks, "If you're not living in Singapore, why do you need PR?"

So, his choice is simple. He can come back to Singapore before his current REP expires and live here as long as he wants. He just can't leave Singapore. Then he might try for a REP again in the future.

Or, if he doesn't come back before his current REP expires he will lose his PR completely.

gianfrance

Post by gianfrance » Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:27 am

What happen is stay in Johor Bahru but working in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:43 am

Actually, I think there is a bit of leeway being given by ICA in this regard. I have a long time WP employee (Malaysian) who is married to a PR and they live in Johor but both are working here in Singapore. He applied for PR and was recently granted PR (7 July - very current). His new Blue NRIC has his Malaysian address on it. So, it looks like there is a bit of flexibility here now. Although I also fail to understand the difference then except for the fact that they are required to pay into CPF now but apparently only have to work here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:42 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: His new Blue NRIC has his Malaysian address on it.
No wonder folk get perplexed by how the system works at times!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Jul 2018 9:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, I think there is a bit of leeway being given by ICA in this regard. I have a long time WP employee (Malaysian) who is married to a PR and they live in Johor but both are working here in Singapore. He applied for PR and was recently granted PR (7 July - very current). His new Blue NRIC has his Malaysian address on it. So, it looks like there is a bit of flexibility here now. Although I also fail to understand the difference then except for the fact that they are required to pay into CPF now but apparently only have to work here.
This is also very strange from a residency and income tax perspective. If you have a Malaysian address, then one would think that you are a Malaysian resident for personal income tax purposes. Yet apparently, this is not the case, which suggests there must be some sort of agreement between Malaysia and Singapore for those who live n JB but work in Singapore.