Singapore Expats

How difficult is it to get an extension on PR/REP nowadays?

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
doitenah

How difficult is it to get an extension on PR/REP nowadays?

Post by doitenah » Sun, 10 Jun 2018 12:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how difficult it was to get an extension on my permanent residence, considering my circumstances. My Re-entry Permit (REP) will expire in Jan 12, 2019, and by that time, I will be 24 of age, no longer a student, and may yet to be employed. :???:

I've been in Singapore since 1997, gained my permanent residence along the way, and left the country in 2013 for College in the United States. I achieved my degree this May 2018, and was planning to work in the States until around December, and then head to Singapore, search for a job, and be back home with family and friends in January, 2019, before the end date of my REP. Would this be too risky? Would I have to go to Singapore a few months earlier to be employed for my REP to be renewed?

To my knowledge, the PR itself doesn't expire but the REP does, and if I am in the country at the time of my REP expiry, I will be safe to stay? I am not sure my knowledge is entirely correct. I also would love to know if having family in Singapore would factor into my REP extension. My parents are now Singaporean residents and my sister has been working in Singapore for around 3 years as a PR.

Any opinions/suggestions? Help would be much appreciated, Thanks!
Last edited by doitenah on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: How difficult is it to get an extension on PR/REP nowadays?

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 10 Jun 2018 9:34 pm

doitenah wrote:Hi everyone,

I was wondering how difficult it was to get an extension on my permanent residence, considering my circumstances. My Re-entry Permit (REP) will expire in Jan 12, 2019, and by that time, I will be 24 of age, no longer a student, and may yet to be employed. :???:

I've been in Singapore since 1997, gained my permanent residence along the way, and left the country in 2013 for College in the United States. I achieved my degree this May 2018, and was planning to work in the States until around December, and then head to Singapore, search for a job, and be back home with family and friends in January, 2019, before the end date of my REP.

Would this be too risky? Would I have to go to Singapore a few months earlier to be employed for my REP to be renewed? To my knowledge, the PR itself doesn't expire but the REP does, and if I am in the country at the time of my REP expiry, I will be safe to stay? I am not sure my knowledge is entirely correct. I also would love to know if having family in Singapore would factor into my REP extension. My parents are now Singaporean residents and my sister has been working in Singapore for around 3 years.

Any opinions/suggestions? Help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Correct - only the REP expires. You can stay inside Singapore as long as you need to find a job.

IMO you'll get an REP renewal but it may be a short one (1 year).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

doitenah

Post by doitenah » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 3:47 am

PNGMK wrote:
Correct - only the REP expires. You can stay inside Singapore as long as you need to find a job.

Thanks for the reply, that is a relief. I'm worried because the last time I applied for an REP was Jan, 2018 and it was only renewed by 1 year, despite me being a student studying abroad. Do you think there's a possibility that my REP may not be renewed?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:30 am

doitenah wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Thanks for the reply, that is a relief. I'm worried because the last time I applied for an REP was Jan, 2018 and it was only renewed by 1 year, despite me being a student studying abroad. Do you think there's a possibility that my REP may not be renewed?
Yes or maybe a shorter renewal (3 months).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!