Singapore Expats

Ep offer to relocate

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
kijan.maharjan

Ep offer to relocate

Post by kijan.maharjan » Wed, 06 Jun 2018 8:58 am

Hi, I am from Nepal and currently living and working in australia having spouse visa, my wife is studying. I have like 9 years of experience now as a product designer. I am earning 6300 aud per month after tax. I iust got an offer from a singapore company to relocate there with the salary of 8k per month. Salary wise comparatively, its almost the same. I am paying my rent about $240 per week. $100 for transportation per week and $100 for food per week. So around 440 Aus per week. In terms of jobs, I think there are more opportunities in australia than in singapore. But i love to be in singapore than in australia. But i am bit confused at the moment.

Before that, i was in singapore and got ep offer with the basic salary of sgd 3500 and gross salary was sgd 5900. But my ep was rejected.

Now this company is saying that if i get higher salary for example 12k per month. MoM will reject me immediately due to my past record, Is that true? Should i ask for more salary or compensation? Please suggest. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iaannuk

Re: Ep offer to relocate

Post by iaannuk » Mon, 25 Jun 2018 7:17 pm

why was your EP reject previously please?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Jun 2018 9:52 pm

kijan.maharjan wrote:Hi, I am from Nepal and currently living and working in australia having spouse visa, my wife is studying. I have like 9 years of experience now as a product designer. I am earning 6300 aud per month after tax. I iust got an offer from a singapore company to relocate there with the salary of 8k per month. Salary wise comparatively, its almost the same. I am paying my rent about $240 per week. $100 for transportation per week and $100 for food per week. So around 440 Aus per week. In terms of jobs, I think there are more opportunities in australia than in singapore. But i love to be in singapore than in australia. But i am bit confused at the moment.

Before that, i was in singapore and got ep offer with the basic salary of sgd 3500 and gross salary was sgd 5900. But my ep was rejected.

Now this company is saying that if i get higher salary for example 12k per month. MoM will reject me immediately due to my past record, Is that true? Should i ask for more salary or compensation? Please suggest. Thank you.

It is not true that you will be automatically rejected. It is true that too many companies pretend that they are raising the salary when they are not. They will re-apply with a higher salary but you as an employee will have to give back the difference.

If the new, higher salary amount is larger you should apply. Bear in mind that if you're only talking a basic salary of SGD 4000, you'll probably get rejected again. With the experience you have, MoM will have expectations that you are worth $6000 or more.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 9:09 am

I would stay in Australia. Your cost of living there is much more manageable. For example how the heck are you going to afford to educate your kids here at $26,000 p.a.? There are absolutely no chances your kids can get into a local school unless you are a PR or SC now.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

kijan.maharjan

Post by kijan.maharjan » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 9:10 am

iaannuk wrote:why was your EP reject previously please?
I am exactly not sure about that. But my chrrent company said that i got rejected because the salary offered to me was less than the experience i have.

kijan.maharjan

Post by kijan.maharjan » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 9:16 am

PNGMK wrote:I would stay in Australia. Your cost of living there is much more manageable. For example how the heck are you going to afford to educate your kids here at $26,000 p.a.? There are absolutely no chances your kids can get into a local school unless you are a PR or SC now.
In terms of future children and accomodation. It Make sense. Thanks a bunch :) How difficult is to get sg pr? Are you pr or sc?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 10:38 am

For nepalese almost impossible.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

iaannuk

Post by iaannuk » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 3:38 pm

PNGMK wrote:For nepalese almost impossible.
Why? Does it make a difference if you are French for example?

kijan.maharjan

Post by kijan.maharjan » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 3:51 pm

How does that matter? What are the criterias?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 5:18 pm

iaannuk wrote:
Why? Does it make a difference if you are French for example?
If you are a French Ang Moh yes , you will be in the "others" pot :D

French African , probably an even smaller "others" pot.

French Chinese maybe origin Mauritius - probably have a better opportunity.

Can substitute any other country in for France.

It is what it is.
Last edited by Barnsley on Tue, 26 Jun 2018 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 5:19 pm

kijan.maharjan wrote:
How does that matter? What are the criterias?
Nobody knows what the intangibles are , thats the fun of it all :)

Many play guess the criteria and get very stressed out about it , wanting to see things that are not there.

Adds to the drama!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

yschong81

Post by yschong81 » Fri, 06 Jul 2018 11:30 am

PNGMK wrote:I would stay in Australia. Your cost of living there is much more manageable. For example how the heck are you going to afford to educate your kids here at $26,000 p.a.? There are absolutely no chances your kids can get into a local school unless you are a PR or SC now.
Just my 2 cents!

Breaking down his original post:
Spouse Visa, wife in UNi <-- i am assuming he does not have a AUS PR and they are on student visa

I am paying my rent about $240 per week <-- house in a western suburb (lower income demographics) i wouldn't live there.

$100 for transportation per week <-- sounds about right, 2 x monthly pass for zone 1 & 2 = $320/month.

$100 for food per week. <-- average, assuming no kids.

He is better off in SG. @ $6,300 aud /month (pre-tax income of approx $100k p.a.), life is OK in Melb but don't expect to buy a home in a nice suburb. AUS and SG are similar in "school zone". High ranking popular schools are within pricey suburbs. You need pre-tax income of at least $180k to be able to afford a home there. Loans are hard to come by now due to crack down in Interest only home loans, increased living expenses for debt service assessment and low LVR.

If you plan to have a kid with both parents working; child care is $130/day (cheapest) and the government subsidise up to $10,000 p.a.

Calculation: $130/day @ 48 weeks = $31,200 minus $10,000 subsidy = $21,200 p.a. out of pocket.

Again, just analysing the facts provided.
No comment/judgement passed.