Singapore Expats

China Hong Kong or Beijing

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BaptisteB

China Hong Kong or Beijing

Post by BaptisteB » Tue, 05 Jun 2018 8:46 pm

Is anybody knows well China?

I would like to travel in China during few months and maybe if it is possible to find a job there but I don't really know the differences between each region ?
thank you for your advices :)

peter.Co

Re: China Hong Kong or Beijing

Post by peter.Co » Thu, 07 Jun 2018 1:28 am

Hello !

Actually I live there for only 3 month but if I can help :) I live in Hong Kong a big city very interesting ! But what kind of atmosphere do you like ? I mean a city with many people ? quite calm ? with big nature ? with an interesting history ? What kind of job are you looking for ?

BaptisteB

Post by BaptisteB » Mon, 11 Jun 2018 2:10 pm

peter.Co wrote:Hello !

Actually I live there for only 3 month but if I can help :) I live in Hong Kong a big city very interesting ! But what kind of atmosphere do you like ? I mean a city with many people ? quite calm ? with big nature ? with an interesting history ? What kind of job are you looking for ?
Hi!!! :)
Niceeeeee. I would like to stay in the center of the city but if it is not far away from activities like walks around it is better (to "relax"). Do you know what is the best for accommodation (price) ? I would like to stay in China to find some suppliers for a new business. A new project.

peter.Co

Post by peter.Co » Tue, 12 Jun 2018 3:16 am

I am not here for a long time ago, but about the price in the center for an appartement it is really really expensive, I mean with one bedroom is roughly 2 500/3 500 dollars but it depending on your budget. What kind of activities would you like to do ? Oh great ! so you do business here ? If you need to know something else, ask me

BaptisteB

Post by BaptisteB » Thu, 14 Jun 2018 11:47 pm

peter.Co wrote:I am not here for a long time ago, but about the price in the center for an appartement it is really really expensive, I mean with one bedroom is roughly 2 500/3 500 dollars but it depending on your budget. What kind of activities would you like to do ? Oh great ! so you do business here ? If you need to know something else, ask me
Yes it is very expensive... I like walking, as I previously said. More over, I also like be in places where there is people like bars but not every weeks.. And you are staying for a long time? I don't want to be intrusive but what are you doing in China?

peter.Co

Post by peter.Co » Sat, 16 Jun 2018 11:09 am

it could be affordable to live in the area of Hong Kong but you'll have to take a train everyday for a long time so that's the negative point. Btw, The city is very eventful ! People love party and have fun :D so I think it is a good city for you ! As I said, I am here for 3 month but I don't know where I will go back home it's depending on my mission because I work for a French company settles here. And you, do you know how many times would you stay in China ? Have you already plan your relocation ?

BaptisteB

Post by BaptisteB » Tue, 19 Jun 2018 6:24 pm

peter.Co wrote:it could be affordable to live in the area of Hong Kong but you'll have to take a train everyday for a long time so that's the negative point. Btw, The city is very eventful ! People love party and have fun :D so I think it is a good city for you ! As I said, I am here for 3 month but I don't know where I will go back home it's depending on my mission because I work for a French company settles here. And you, do you know how many times would you stay in China ? Have you already plan your relocation ?
I see.. I will start in Hong kong and I will see then.. I am actually in Bangkok to meet a friend for holidays, I am coming back to Singapore soon and then I will buy my airline ticket to China. Very soon I think. If my project works, I will probably stay for a long time. The problem is that I have to send all my desks items and I don't really know how to do at that moment. I have a lot of important documents too. But I guess I will be fine! [-o<

peter.Co

Post by peter.Co » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 5:51 pm

BaptisteB wrote:
peter.Co wrote:it could be affordable to live in the area of Hong Kong but you'll have to take a train everyday for a long time so that's the negative point. Btw, The city is very eventful ! People love party and have fun :D so I think it is a good city for you ! As I said, I am here for 3 month but I don't know where I will go back home it's depending on my mission because I work for a French company settles here. And you, do you know how many times would you stay in China ? Have you already plan your relocation ?
I see.. I will start in Hong kong and I will see then.. I am actually in Bangkok to meet a friend for holidays, I am coming back to Singapore soon and then I will buy my airline ticket to China. Very soon I think. If my project works, I will probably stay for a long time. The problem is that I have to send all my desks items and I don't really know how to do at that moment. I have a lot of important documents too. But I guess I will be fine! [-o<
I was in the same situation 3 years ago when i left Australia for Shanghai. Shipping stuff to China sounds like very easy when you check on internet and finally i got SO MUCH PROBLEMS ! I ship it first with DHL which was SUPER EXPENSIVE! Something like 1500 USD if i remember well... The main point was that all my belongings got stuck in Chinese customs, the beginning of a long problem ! I had to find a company to clear my stuff at customs and then deliver to my new home. Contacted something like 5/6 shipping company to handle it. Guess what ? no one accepted my shipment because they don't handle personal effects....
After days and days of research I finally found a company! I don't know at all their rates about shipping but they clear my personal effects using (from what i understood) their personal import license which was mandatory (as i didn't have any work permit at the moment).
You can check their website directly here: <solicitation removed>
On that time i was in touch with someone calling "Jean", one of their sales. He helped me a lot and insure me that they could ship it for much cheaper than DHL. Indeed, i discover (after the shipment) that DHL was very specialized on small shipment like a luggage maximum. For all others shipments, you should contact what they call a "freight forwarder company".

Hope this will help you to not repeat my mistake [-X