Singapore Expats

Maintaining PR Status while being posted overseas by company

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
qintian

Maintaining PR Status while being posted overseas by company

Post by qintian » Tue, 05 Jun 2018 3:32 pm

Dear forumers,

i am currently on 1 year SG PR-ship renewal due to last 2 years i have left Singapore to work at my
country..

The reason of re-newal is i was offered a job by 1 of the Singapore company, however, i was again posted to overseas by this company..

1) will this affect my chances to get my PR renew next year?
2) is there any "terms & condition" like minimum monthly salary or CPF contribution that i have to made each month to maintain my SG PR?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Maintaining PR Status while being posted overseas by company

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 05 Jun 2018 8:04 pm

If you're on an official secondment by a Singapore legal entity you may be ok. Otherwise you'll time out. Why do you need PR if you're overseas?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 Jun 2018 9:30 pm

qintian wrote:2) is there any "terms & condition" like minimum monthly salary or CPF contribution that i have to made each month to maintain my SG PR?
What PNGMK said is correct, and if you are being posted long term overseas, your country of tax residence is where you are living and working. So, you may personal income tax in your working country, and your company must follow all the rules for paying workers in that country.

Therefore, as PNGMK also asked, if you are working overseas long term, what do you need a PR for. Unless you can provide solid evidence that your overseas posting is temporary, with a definite end (even if it is of longer duration), I see problems in keeping PR if you aren't back working in Singapore.

qintian

Post by qintian » Wed, 06 Jun 2018 10:26 am

Dear both,

appreciate the reply, i am still looking to go back to singapore after my overseas assignment which will be around 2-3 years time. And in between this 2-3 years i will still come back to Singapore to settle company matters (claim, bills etc), which is around 1 time per month.

i am worried if after next year my PR-ship is burn, it might affect my chance of getting employed again in Singapore and affect my personal company director-ship in Singapore as well.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 06 Jun 2018 9:38 pm

qintian wrote:Dear both,

appreciate the reply, i am still looking to go back to singapore after my overseas assignment which will be around 2-3 years time. And in between this 2-3 years i will still come back to Singapore to settle company matters (claim, bills etc), which is around 1 time per month.

i am worried if after next year my PR-ship is burn, it might affect my chance of getting employed again in Singapore and affect my personal company director-ship in Singapore as well.
Once again. Jesus freak christ. What is the basis of your secondment? If it's official by a Singapore entity you do have a chance to fix this. If not then kiss your PR and it's benefits good bye.

qintian

Post by qintian » Wed, 06 Jun 2018 10:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Once again. Jesus freak christ. What is the basis of your secondment? If it's official by a Singapore entity you do have a chance to fix this. If not then kiss your PR and it's benefits good bye.

Yes, it's a local Singapore company that will pay my salary in SGD, including EPF and also Singapore tax contribution.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 Jun 2018 7:23 am

qintian wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Yes, it's a local Singapore company that will pay my salary in SGD, including EPF and also Singapore tax contribution.
Then have your HRM prepare a letter on company letterhead explaining that you are posted overseas on secondment and that your employer intends to return you to Singapore. I'm not sure now how you can add this to your REP renewal now it's done electronically but there must be a way.

qintian

Post by qintian » Thu, 07 Jun 2018 9:09 am

PNGMK wrote: Then have your HRM prepare a letter on company letterhead explaining that you are posted overseas on secondment and that your employer intends to return you to Singapore. I'm not sure now how you can add this to your REP renewal now it's done electronically but there must be a way.
Yes they have prepared the letter to me.. i get what you mean PNGMK.. really thanks for the reply... btw just in any case have you heard there will need minimum how much salary to have a higher chance to retain your PR status? or.. the more the merrier ? :shock: :shock:

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 Jun 2018 8:22 pm

qintian wrote:
PNGMK wrote: Then have your HRM prepare a letter on company letterhead explaining that you are posted overseas on secondment and that your employer intends to return you to Singapore. I'm not sure now how you can add this to your REP renewal now it's done electronically but there must be a way.
Yes they have prepared the letter to me.. i get what you mean PNGMK.. really thanks for the reply... btw just in any case have you heard there will need minimum how much salary to have a higher chance to retain your PR status? or.. the more the merrier ? :shock: :shock:
If your PR is PTS based I think salary factors in. It's the least of your issues.

babyballer

Post by babyballer » Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:41 pm

My friend has been able to maintain his PR while he is working full time in US by paying CPF every month and income tax every year. He has always been able to renew his PR without any issue. He setup a company that pays himself minimum EP salary or so. This is how you can game the system. Not advisable, but this is how you can do it.