Singapore Expats

Africa & Middle East Job Travel

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
newaisa

Africa & Middle East Job Travel

Post by newaisa » Fri, 01 Jun 2018 3:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I got an opportunity for a job that requires me to travel to Africa and Middle east.
I know the question will be too general as the region consists of such huge region.
So far I only have exposure in Asia region. And my main concern is the security and personal safety going to these places.

Would you be able to advise which region/area among the countries that I should avoid? I'm someone who has 0 knowledge about the countries in Africa and middle east.

Thanks you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Africa & Middle East Job Travel

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 01 Jun 2018 4:10 pm

Getting visas (in Singapore) for many of these African countries is a giant PITA, in some cases the nearest embassy will be Cairo or Paris! A lot of these countries are also Francophone and don't speak English. In some cases (Algeria I seem to recall) the paperwork is just over the top and almost impossible to raise from outside. Domestic flights are a nuisance and often can only be organised while you're in country.

In Africa only country I would avoid is Nigeria (without solid security in place) and I have my doubts about Algeria and Angola. Once again if there is security provided by your employer or the people you visit it will be much better for you.

In the ME I would avoid absolutely avoid Yemen right now (civil war) and maybe parts of Iraq where ISIS where active. Libya is also a possible no go.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!