Singapore Expats

Looking for Advice to Get Exempted From NS

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
NSAdvice

Looking for Advice to Get Exempted From NS

Post by NSAdvice » Mon, 28 May 2018 5:22 am

Hello, I would really appreciate it if anyone could provide me with a step-by-step process on how to get exempted from NS (if possible).

I am turning 15 years old within a month.
I was born in Singapore as a dual-citizen (Singapore and China). My Chinese passport expired when I was 6 and it was never renewed. My Singaporean passport was renewed when I was 5. My mom still holds Chinese Citizenship and my dad still holds Singaporean citizenship.
I moved to the United States with my family when I was 11.5 years old and I'm currently residing here as a PR. I have no family members living in Singapore currently.
I got an exit permit when I was 13 but I did it a few months late.
I used my Singapore passport for traveling to Singapore once, and to 2 other countries. I also used it to come to America.

My parents and I both think it is better for me to continue to pursue my education here in the States instead of going back for NS. If there is any way to get exempted from National Service, I would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me.

Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Looking for Advice to Get Exempted From NS

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 May 2018 8:27 am

1. You need to obtain another countries citizenship ASAP (USA). This is because you need to renounce Singapore citizenship (the only way out of NS) and to do so you need to be a citizen of another country. If you're a Chinese Citizen now that may be one way actually (you don't need a passport - just proof you are a Chinese citizen - such as a birth cert).
2. You need to then inform CMPB that you intend to migrate to another country and renounce citizenship once you turn 21. (If you can show you're Chinese then do so ASAP).

Unfortunately you (or your parents) should have started this as soon as you arrived in the the USA. You may be a bit late. However start now! Do not wait. You also need to stop using that Singapore PP ASAP. Using it means you are taking advantage of Singapore which implies you intend to repay that by serving NS.

It's a complicated process. A few links below may help.

https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/over ... nship.html

http://asingaporeanson.blogspot.sg/2015 ... t-you.html
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

NSAdvice

Post by NSAdvice » Mon, 28 May 2018 8:36 am

Well, the thing is I hold dual citizenship between China and Singapore but I want to live in the United States. Also, I can't get citizenship for the United States until I've lived here for 5 years. It feels a bit weird to prove citizenship for another country that I won't be living in, will it work? I also don't plan on going back to China.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 May 2018 9:00 am

Plan on going back and doing your NS or plan on NEVER EVER going back to Singapore, even for a VISIT!. As you are 15 and aside from one exit permit I have to assume you did not apply for another permit after two years. Therefore you are officially a deserter as you ARE a Singapore citizen that, I am assuming was born IN Singapore. Therefore you are obligated, dual citizenship or not, to do NS as one of your parents was/IN FACT, Still is, a Singapore Citizen, therefore it will be obvious to the government that you are only doing this as a means to escape your obligations to the country. As your father is still holding on to his SG citizenship, the excuse for deferment will not fly as it doesn't appear to be anything more then the normal NS dodger and if caught trying to visit Singapore in the future could find your butt in the slammer and rightly so.

If your father is a Singaporean, then return to Singapore and do your NS. Stay with some relatives for the duration and then get on with your life. Otherwise, you will always stand the chance of flying somewhere in the future and for one reason or another, you will be diverted to Changi and the jig will be up. As long as one parent retains their SG citizenship, you cannot legally avoid NS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 May 2018 9:03 am

True SMS, I had forgotten that the OP cannot avoid NS is his parents retain their SC.

NSAdvice

Post by NSAdvice » Mon, 28 May 2018 9:05 am

The thing is, I'm not doing this to get out of NS. I do not have plans on going back to Singapore, maybe for the occasional visit, or if my plane gets diverted as you said. I don't know what you mean by "another permit", I thought I only needed one? My dad will probably give up his Singaporean citizenship very soon as well. I'm just asking for any way to get on with my life without doing NS as I don't want it to interfere with my studies.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 May 2018 9:15 am

NSAdvice wrote:The thing is, I'm not doing this to get out of NS. I do not have plans on going back to Singapore, maybe for the occasional visit, or if my plane gets diverted as you said. I don't know what you mean by "another permit", I thought I only needed one? My dad will probably give up his Singaporean citizenship very soon as well. I'm just asking for any way to get on with my life without doing NS as I don't want it to interfere with my studies.
You and your parents have benefited and continue to benefit from having SC, while that is ongoing any attempt to renounce SC will fail and your NS obligation will remain. Children of emigrants can avoid NS but there is a strict procedure to follow and it needs to be done ASAP. Read up on the second link I posted.

You need a valid exit permit for Singapore at all times while out of Singapore once you are over 13. You can apply for one for 1 year and 364 days and renew it every time it expires.

It seems your parents are not interested in helping you solve this problem?

NSAdvice

Post by NSAdvice » Mon, 28 May 2018 9:23 am

My parents are quite supportive of me getting exempted from NS. My father was actually not born in Singapore, it's just that he acquire Singaporean citizenship. So in this case, should my dad renounce his citizenship ASAP? My exit permit has no expired yet actually. I got my permit a few months late, so it is still within that 2-year range. I'm sorry if I'm a bit slow, but what's the exact process I have to do now to give me a better chance at getting the exemption, or is it already impossible?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 May 2018 10:34 am

NSAdvice wrote:My parents are quite supportive of me getting exempted from NS. My father was actually not born in Singapore, it's just that he acquire Singaporean citizenship. So in this case, should my dad renounce his citizenship ASAP? My exit permit has no expired yet actually. I got my permit a few months late, so it is still within that 2-year range. I'm sorry if I'm a bit slow, but what's the exact process I have to do now to give me a better chance at getting the exemption, or is it already impossible?
Your family need to cut all ties with Singapore ASAP and you need to inform CMPB immediately of your intention to renounce SC. See the second link I posted above.

In summary:

If your son is below 13 years old, then you need not do anything until he reaches 13 years of age.
1. Upon reaching 13 years old, you are to write to CMPB at this email address "[email protected]" to indicate request to defer your son's NS responsibilities. Basically to inform them that you have migrated and wish to remain in USA, and also your son's intention to renounce the SG citizenship at 21 years old.
So, they will assess on a case by case basis, and if your son is successful, he will be granted a defer for his NS from 13 until 21. CMPB will send you a deferment package with forms to fill and submit.
But if your son is not successful, then you will have to apply Exit Permit at the different stages i.e. 13-18 years old, and then at 18 years old ask to defer until 21 years old.

At 21 you need to follow the procedure to renounce SC.
Last edited by PNGMK on Mon, 28 May 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSAdvice

Post by NSAdvice » Mon, 28 May 2018 10:35 am

Do I have a good chance?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 May 2018 10:52 am

NSAdvice wrote:Do I have a good chance?
I don't know. Your parents have left it very late but as you left Singapore at 11.5 yo you may have a chance provided you move quick to inform CMPB and begin the process of taking up US citizenship and/or using your Chinese citizenship. You need good legal advice - not urban myths.

NSAdvice

Post by NSAdvice » Mon, 28 May 2018 10:57 am

I'm assuming that I also have to get my exit permit renewed? I also have another question. Assuming I do get the deferment, do my parents still have to pay the bond?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 May 2018 11:15 am

NSAdvice wrote:I'm assuming that I also have to get my exit permit renewed? I also have another question. Assuming I do get the deferment, do my parents still have to pay the bond?
Have you parents got a bond in place now? If you achieve a deferment to 21 to allow you to renounce SC that should cancel out the need for a bond.

You should always have a valid exit permit in place. It's recommended you renew for slightly less than 2 years every time. If you are denied a renewal it means they want you back for NS.

NSAdvice

Post by NSAdvice » Mon, 28 May 2018 11:19 am

I understand. Thank you so much for helping me out!

NSAdvice

Post by NSAdvice » Mon, 28 May 2018 11:36 am

PNGMK wrote: Your family need to cut all ties with Singapore ASAP and you need to inform CMPB immediately of your intention to renounce SC. See the second link I posted above.
Sorry to bother you again, but I'm not sure who to contact in order to inform Singapore of my intention to renounce my citizenship. From all the articles I've been provided, I've been told to tell it to ICA, MinDef, and CMPB, and I'm not sure which department to contact. Also, should I be sending a physical paper letter to an email to them?