Singapore Expats

Looking for Advice to Get Exempted From NS

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
NSAdvice

Re: Looking for Advice to Get Exempted From NS

Post by NSAdvice » Thu, 31 May 2018 5:17 am

Well it looks like I better get myself mentally prepared for NS then. Anyone can give any insights as to how it's like? How are the living conditions? Do you get free time while in there?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 31 May 2018 7:44 am

The Singapore subreddit is a good place for advice seeking on life in NS. Your main issue will be that you'll need a place to stay when out of camp.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 May 2018 1:26 pm

NSAdvice wrote:Well it looks like I better get myself mentally prepared for NS then. Anyone can give any insights as to how it's like? How are the living conditions? Do you get free time while in there?
When my son when to do his BMT (basic military training) the wife and I went to the orientation and they showed us around the camp and facilities and treated us to lunch, etc. I sure didn't have barracks like these pampered lot have. They had real 6" thick mattresses on the beds, good ventilation, lighting, fans and other amenities. The food from the mess was actually very good.

I reckon if he had to "put up" in Singapore as long as he travelled light he could get by with lodging in and HDB rental room for 300~500 month (depending on location, whether Master BR or normal BR or not) As he is at least 1/2 chinese (he's not mentioned his father's race) he will fit in okay. Hell, he might actually enjoy it once he settles down to the fact that it's unavoidable. And he will come out of it a much more rounded individual and with a different perspective of the world as well.

After BMT, once you are assigned to a unit-it could be the Army, Navy (probably not - everybody was shocked when my son was transferred to the Navy), Airforce (doubtful), Police force (doubtful) or SCDF (Singapore Civil Defense Force - possible). Then, it's almost like a normal job aside from the pay. You get to go home every night. It's not like in the US where Military is in bases for the most part. Here they don't have much room for "bases" but do have some compounds. In fact, one of my nephews is a regular (signed on after his NS for a 10-year hitch - he's in the commandos).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 03 Jun 2018 12:13 pm

NSAdvice wrote:Well it looks like I better get myself mentally prepared for NS then. Anyone can give any insights as to how it's like? How are the living conditions? Do you get free time while in there?
It's tough man !!. I almost died eating too much food

Weather so hot I could sleep all day on no one bother

Train a bit but sleep alot !!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Jun 2018 1:49 pm

Hey, MS! Been awhile. Hope all is well. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Jun 2018 6:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey, MS! Been awhile. Hope all is well. :cool:
Hey buddy,

Yup been awhile alright.

Body is OK, just the bloody knees not holding up.

Putting off the knee reconstruction for years on end but I think have to go under the knife soon

Damn Kiwi weather, been raining for past four days non stop since I came home.

How's the wife and family ? Hope all is good.

Take care yourself, don't work too hard
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed, 29 Aug 2018 8:42 pm

:evil: Hope your knee reconstruction goes OK, I have arthritic knees and am reluctant to undergo reconstructive surgery. :evil: