Singapore Expats

Working remotely on a visitor pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
theway

Working remotely on a visitor pass

Post by theway » Mon, 21 May 2018 4:21 pm

Hi All,

Scenario is this: Looking to take up work with a non-SG company. They have office in other cities in SEA, but none in SG - yet. Very likely to change in the next few months. Can I take an offer of employment up from their BKK office, but reside in SG on a visitor pass (for up to three months)?

Note, I am currently in SG working for another company on EP. Obviously, would be leaving that company to start at new one.

1. Is the working on a visitor pass for a non-SG company legal?
2. Do I pay taxes in SG or, in this case, in TH?

Advice is appreciated!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Working remotely on a visitor pass

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 21 May 2018 8:42 pm

What kind of pass? If you are on a DP or LTVP with a right of permanent residence in Singapore, and, the company you plan to work for remotely a) provides no products or services in Singapore, and b) has no legal presence in Singapore, then you can work remotely for the company without a work pass, and, you must file personal income tax returns with IRAS.

You can't do any of this on a short term visit pass.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 22 May 2018 8:38 am

Op might get away with it for a few months on a SVP except taxes are an issue. And bank accounts.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 22 May 2018 9:50 am

PNGMK wrote:Op might get away with it for a few months on a SVP except taxes are an issue. And bank accounts.
Yes, although I think his big issue is residency, ie, he can't legally be renting a flat. If he can afford a legit AirBnb then maybe he'd be OK on that front.

Here's the deal, OP. People do come in on SVP and work. As a matter of fact, IRAS specifically recognizes that if you are in the country less than 60 days, you won't pay Singapore income tax.

But, that's because the whole thing is predicated upon the idea that you are a VISITOR; hence, the implication is that you live and are TAXED somewhere else.

As PNGMK stated, you might be able to fly under the radar for a while but the gahmen will seriously give you problems if they get wind of what you are doing. My $0.02. It's not their intention that you can live and work in Singapore on a SVP.