Singapore Expats

Job hunting while on SVP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ribenzo

Job hunting while on SVP

Post by ribenzo » Tue, 15 May 2018 10:44 pm

Hello,

Simple question but I cannot find a clear answer to it. Is it OK from ICA point of view to be job hunting (tech related jobs) in Singapore while on short term SVP? Is there a risk to be refused entry if you mention job hunting to the immigration officer when entering Singapore?

Thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Job hunting while on SVP

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 May 2018 11:11 pm

ribenzo wrote:Hello,

Simple question but I cannot find a clear answer to it. Is it OK from ICA point of view to be job hunting (tech related jobs) in Singapore while on short term SVP? Is there a risk to be refused entry if you mention job hunting to the immigration officer when entering Singapore?

Thanks
You can look all you want. Get all the interviews you can. You just can't actually work. But why mention job hunting at all? Tell them you are here for pleasure and to see the sights. You are, you know, with a bit of job hunting on the side.

worrylad29

Post by worrylad29 » Sat, 02 Jun 2018 8:27 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

Thanks
You can look all you want. Get all the interviews you can. You just can't actually work. But why mention job hunting at all? Tell them you are here for pleasure and to see the sights. You are, you know, with a bit of job hunting on the side.
Harsh realities! It is so hard! Even if you have a magnanimous resume if you dont have the work rights you cannot work in Singapore. But maybe lady luck is in your side and you are able to get a job.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Jun 2018 8:48 am

worrylad29 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Thanks
Harsh realities! It is so hard! Even if you have a magnanimous resume if you dont have the work rights you cannot work in Singapore. But maybe lady luck is in your side and you are able to get a job.
In reality, if you have the right CV and experience (required for foreign talent) and an employer who is interested in you, he can apply for a work pass for you. In fact, you cannot get a "right to work" pass in Singapore at all. All workpasses are applied for by the employer. That workpass is only good to work for THAT employer only. If you want to change jobs the new employer has to apply anew for work pass for you. When you leave the previous employer you are automatically put on a short term, non-extendable social visit pass. If you don't find a new employer before that pass expires, you will be required to return to your home country before you can return to Singapore. With the granting of passes being tightened up here, it is advisable NOT to job hop after you find the first job here as if you found eligible for a work pass for one company, does NOT mean you will automatically get it for the next try. Both you AND the company are vetted for the pass issuance.

Lady Luck doesn't have too much to do with it. Academics, Experience, and job position and the ease of a company to find a local for the same position are what matters.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers