Singapore Expats

SPR marrying Indian Citizen - EP/DP/LTVP - Confused!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
easterndigital

Post by easterndigital » Sun, 13 May 2018 2:28 am

Hello everyone,
I have read up on the internet and here regarding my situation. Surprisingly, I have not found something suitable to what I’m looking at - so I thought of posting here to learn from the wisdom of the community!

First a background about me: I am 32+, Indian ethnicity, Single, Singapore PR for around 11+ years and living in SG for 16+ years. BEng, MBA - both from top schools (eg NTU). Getting 6k+ total, working in Digital Tech, own a condo. Active in condo-related activities but not yet in NC. Other random info so you know me better than my ex ever did: I’m planning to set up (unsure) my own consulting sole prop. Yes, the thought of SG citizenship has occurred to me, but I didn’t act on it - for no specific reason.

My situation: I tried (hard) to find a partner here but did not find anyone long term. Now, I am going via an Indian arranged marriage. One of the likely partners is an Indian citizen, 28+, MBA, Consulting and works for an MNC that also operates in Singapore. She is willing to continue working in Singapore. However, she reports that internal transfers are difficult in her company. Of course, if she were to find another job - we all know about our tight job market here ;). I am happy to apply for an LTVP, but that requires a “common law marriage” certificate, not recognised in India.

What I understand is: The first option is for her to get an Employment Pass individually on her own merit and come over to SG. I can, in parallel, apply an LTVP for her without jeopardizing her EP chances, followed by an NOC in case the EP does not succeed. Dependents Pass, while applicable, is not preferred as I can’t apply for this while she attempts for an EP (or converts into an EP).

My questions are:
What are my options for the common law marriage and how have you managed this? What is your suggestion on passes that I should try for her (LTVP/DP/EP/…), and how should I approach this situation? Please highlight if there is anything else I need to be aware of. Steps in the process would be super helpful.

If you're in a chatty mood: Would any of your responses to above change considering I am planning to set up a sole prop and also apply for SC in the future? A ton of karma points to you if you've reached here :)

Thanks a bunch to the community once again!

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sun, 13 May 2018 7:12 am

Since you are SPR, the options of DP and common law spouse LTVP do not apply to you.

You only have two choices:

1. Marry her officially and apply for e-VP (Long Term)
2. Let her apply for internal transfer and EP on her own merit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elena Kwa

Re: SPR marrying Indian Citizen - EP/DP/LTVP - Confused!

Post by Elena Kwa » Thu, 24 May 2018 3:11 pm

easterndigital wrote:Hello everyone,
I have read up on the internet and here regarding my situation. Surprisingly, I have not found something suitable to what I’m looking at - so I thought of posting here to learn from the wisdom of the community!

First a background about me: I am 32+, Indian ethnicity, Single, Singapore PR for around 11+ years and living in SG for 16+ years. BEng, MBA - both from top schools (eg NTU). Getting 6k+ total, working in Digital Tech, own a condo. Active in condo-related activities but not yet in NC. Other random info so you know me better than my ex ever did: I’m planning to set up (unsure) my own consulting sole prop. Yes, the thought of SG citizenship has occurred to me, but I didn’t act on it - for no specific reason.

My situation: I tried (hard) to find a partner here but did not find anyone long term. Now, I am going via an Indian arranged marriage. One of the likely partners is an Indian citizen, 28+, MBA, Consulting and works for an MNC that also operates in Singapore. She is willing to continue working in Singapore. However, she reports that internal transfers are difficult in her company. Of course, if she were to find another job - we all know about our tight job market here ;). I am happy to apply for an LTVP, but that requires a “common law marriage” certificate, not recognised in India.

What I understand is: The first option is for her to get an Employment Pass individually on her own merit and come over to SG. I can, in parallel, apply an LTVP for her without jeopardizing her EP chances, followed by an NOC in case the EP does not succeed. Dependents Pass, while applicable, is not preferred as I can’t apply for this while she attempts for an EP (or converts into an EP).

My questions are:
What are my options for the common law marriage and how have you managed this? What is your suggestion on passes that I should try for her (LTVP/DP/EP/…), and how should I approach this situation? Please highlight if there is anything else I need to be aware of. Steps in the process would be super helpful.

If you're in a chatty mood: Would any of your responses to above change considering I am planning to set up a sole prop and also apply for SC in the future? A ton of karma points to you if you've reached here :)

Thanks a bunch to the community once again!
Hi EasternDigital,

When do you intend to register your marriage with your partner? From my experience, Indians seldom go for common-law marriage and usually proceed with a lawful marriage. Should your partner wish to reside in Singapore prior to marriage, then yes, she will have to obtain a valid work pass (SPass / Employment Pass) by being employed with a Singapore-registered entity. As you are an existing PR, she will not obtain Dependent's Pass (DP) in any way as DPs are only for spouses or children under the age of 21 years old of foreigners working in Singapore.

The process will be a lot more straight forward upon your marriage with your partner. You will be able to file for a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) via Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) online system known as e-VPAA (Electronic Visit Pass (Long-Term) Assessment and Application System). Your partner will need to be physically in Singapore during the application and processing time with ICA will take up to six (6) weeks.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 May 2018 5:22 pm

No common law marriage for Indians. Only for decadent westerners. LTVP or an EP are your choice. Or go back to India is another.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

easterndigital

Post by easterndigital » Fri, 15 Jun 2018 1:42 am

PNGMK wrote:No common law marriage for Indians. Only for decadent westerners. LTVP or an EP are your choice. Or go back to India is another.
Thanks, this is clear. What do you mean by going back to India -- is that for registering the marriage? I thought I'd do that at ROM here.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 15 Jun 2018 1:45 am

No. I mean bugger off out of here, you're better off back in India.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

easterndigital

Post by easterndigital » Fri, 15 Jun 2018 3:09 pm

Elena Kwa wrote:Hi EasternDigital,

When do you intend to register your marriage with your partner? From my experience, Indians seldom go for common-law marriage and usually proceed with a lawful marriage. Should your partner wish to reside in Singapore prior to marriage, then yes, she will have to obtain a valid work pass (SPass / Employment Pass) by being employed with a Singapore-registered entity. As you are an existing PR, she will not obtain Dependent's Pass (DP) in any way as DPs are only for spouses or children under the age of 21 years old of foreigners working in Singapore.

The process will be a lot more straight forward upon your marriage with your partner. You will be able to file for a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) via Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) online system known as e-VPAA (Electronic Visit Pass (Long-Term) Assessment and Application System). Your partner will need to be physically in Singapore during the application and processing time with ICA will take up to six (6) weeks.
Hi Elena Kwa,
After reading the information from the community, I plan to do two things simultaneously - My partner is attempting to secure an EP and I am also going to sponsor her LTVP (and NOC). We will pick whichever option works out earliest to get her here.

We originally intended to register the marriage with her a few months from now. However, now I am coming to realize that we may need to formalize the marriage earlier before the religious ceremony, so that she secure employment in Singapore, move here all quickly upon completion of the religious ceremony.

You are correct that common law marriage does not work (it is not even an option for Indians) and we need to look at a lawful marriage. I have lived most of my life outside India and am not very familiar with Indian laws - apologies for the wrong original post. This said, I am now confused on the documentation required, but that might be another thing to tackle.

Cheers!
EasternDigital

easterndigital

Post by easterndigital » Sat, 16 Jun 2018 11:22 pm

PNGMK wrote:No. I mean bugger off out of here, you're better off back in India.
Don't know mate - I am more positive about Singapore than many seem to be. I may be making a mistake, but unless personal reasons force me to move countries, this tiny dot has been home for decades, and I'm not liking other places!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 17 Jun 2018 2:05 am

I don't think I would put it quite the way PNGMK did, and there is no security in Singapore any more, particularly for Indians. I hear that you have been here a long time, and I do hope that things work out for you. However, with the populist fervor that treats everyone as "foreign devils", I'd keep a plan B in my back pocket, just in case. Both the numbers and legal rights of EP's and PR's have been dropping.

And your only real options are to get legally married, then apply for LTVP for her. Get married in Singapore. I have no idea what your chances will be but they will certainly be better than your fiance attempting to get an EP to come live in Singapore.

easterndigital

Post by easterndigital » Tue, 11 Sep 2018 6:03 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I don't think I would put it quite the way PNGMK did, and there is no security in Singapore any more, particularly for Indians. I hear that you have been here a long time, and I do hope that things work out for you. However, with the populist fervor that treats everyone as "foreign devils", I'd keep a plan B in my back pocket, just in case. Both the numbers and legal rights of EP's and PR's have been dropping.

And your only real options are to get legally married, then apply for LTVP for her. Get married in Singapore. I have no idea what your chances will be but they will certainly be better than your fiance attempting to get an EP to come live in Singapore.
Thank you @Strong Eagle. As it might have shown, I have thought of Singapore as home, and have not had any alternatives. Thanks for the hard knock (PNGMK, to you too!) - I will think of a Plan B.

Since my previous post, I have had some development. We got married - it is registered in India. I checked with ICA just by walking in. I'm summarising what I have gathered so far:

1. ICA say that my wife should fly in (tourist visa first) and apply for the LTVP along with me as a sponsor.
2. I hear from acquaintances that there is a minimum period of stay (not related to ROM etc) before she/I can initiate the LTVP application. I will update back when I know this.
3. I can take the process forward by acting on her behalf, as her sponsor - this is expected to be about 3-4 weeks after the application, subject to appointment availability.
4. In the end, she needs to fly back to collect the pass - this is expected to be another 3-4 weeks later, again subject to appointment availability.