Singapore Expats

Direct Winery Wine Business in SG

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
BluePoles

Direct Winery Wine Business in SG

Post by BluePoles » Wed, 09 May 2018 2:25 pm

Guys,

I own a small boutique winery in Margaret River, Western Australia and we're looking to potentially export our wines into Singapore. We have a few clients that come through from Singapore and it is a natural progression as I travel through SG myself quite often as well. Rather than seek out a distributor and/or agent we were contemplating importing the wines in directly ourselves and on-selling to clients directly.

To complete this we most probably would require a business permit, and a license to sell alcohol in SG. My query is, do we have to be a national to complete these tasks? Is the liquor license a difficult ask?

The reason why we feel doing it ourselves would be better suited is that it dramatically lowers costs to the consumer, and knowing how much Singaporeans are getting nailed over in regards to price for basically generic dross. It would be a win / win, as though we sell out quickly of our wines, we could slowly develop this market to contain a greater percentage of the total make if we increase volumes.

As a follow up, how best is it to do promotions? In Australia we have lots of wine forums and we also have many etailers who provide a good starting point. SG appears to be pretty disappointing in this area and it implies more direct marketing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Direct Winery Wine Business in SG

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 May 2018 3:03 pm

With regard to all things around establishing a business for this venture, start at the following website. I daresay you should, for a business startup perspective be able to find out just about all you will need to know. Be sure to follow the various links in the texts as well.

https://www.customs.gov.sg/businesses/r ... on-matters
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 09 May 2018 10:40 pm

You will need a locally registered business entity to do business and you will need a "normally resident" director (for a private limited) or manager (for a sole proprietorship). Although not directly specified, the rules are such that about the only people that will qualify for you would be citizens or Singapore PR's... employment pass holders generally cannot and dependent pass holders can possibly, after jumping through a bunch of hoops.

Therefore, unless you have a citizen or PR in mind, you will need one of the rent a director agencies. I suggest you do a search on starting a business or on my handle... you will find a lot of information about foreigners starting a business in Singapore.

Then, if you still have questions, ask away.

BluePoles

Post by BluePoles » Thu, 10 May 2018 9:10 am

Thanks guys - just checking through the storage and in-bond options at the current. Will also try and chase down some wine tasting groups - anyone part of an arrangement like this?

Cheers

Sia White

Post by Sia White » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 7:19 pm

I am interested in the size of your sales in Singapore. I have never imagined that Singapore has a potential for wine market. Thank you for sharing such an interesting topic