Singapore Expats

Wife denied entry need advice

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Kailoon84

Wife denied entry need advice

Post by Kailoon84 » Tue, 08 May 2018 5:03 pm

Hi guys i really need some advice here. Me (SPR) and my wife (we have a son) from thailand have been married for 6 months and we have been travelling to singapore malaysia and thailand on a monthly basis as my work can be done online so travelling does not affect my work. And my son just got his long term pass in malaysia to stay with my parents. So i decided to go back to singapore to look for another full time job to increase my income.

This inccident happened yesterday at tuas check point. My wife and i was travelling to singapore from malaysia, upon reaching my wife's turn for checks she was being called to the office. As usual we showed the immigration officer our married certificate, but this time it is different as officer throw us afew questions.

Q) Do you know that even after getting married it does not guarantee ur wife entry to singapore. You are still bound to checks
A) Yes, i know and thats why we are here to let you check. (Officer doesnt seems happy that i gave him this answer)

Q) Why are you travelling to singapore ?
A) I have work to do and my wife just followed me.

Q) Why is she staying singapore so often ?
A) This is the part that got her into trouble as immigration officer claims that she is not allowed to visit singapore so frequently. This is also the reason why they denied her entry. So i wish to know if there is there such law that i didnt knew existed or is it that the officer took it personally ?

Q) Are u going to apply LTVP for your wife?
A) Yes, we are going to apply it this time since i have decided to stay in singapore to work full time.

Then they brought my wife to scan all her fingers and took her photo.

After all these the officer still decides to deny her entry to singapore. So i told him to apply for LTVP the applicant needs to be in Singapore and he claims that it can be done online. And i told him it cant be done online as the form requires me to fill in her DE card number.(apparently he does not know this ?) Despites the facts i have showed him. He still decided to proceed for her departure.

Facts
1) My wife was previously on scholarship to study in NUS medicine school thus explaining her frequent visits to singapore before we got married.

2) She did not commit any crime or overstaying

3) She stayed in singapore 3 months out of the 6 months we are married.

4) ICA officer were not interested in what i have to say and not being helpful.

5) Officer did not mentioned anything about banning entry so we can try to enter Singapore again ?

I hope someone can advice me what to do as i personally felt that the ICA officer is abusing his authority, being unreasonable and not listening.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Wife denied entry need advice

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 08 May 2018 6:49 pm

Kailoon84 wrote:Hi guys i really need some advice here. Me (SPR) and my wife (we have a son) from thailand have been married for 6 months and we have been travelling to singapore malaysia and thailand on a monthly basis as my work can be done online so travelling does not affect my work. And my son just got his long term pass in malaysia to stay with my parents. So i decided to go back to singapore to look for another full time job to increase my income.

This inccident happened yesterday at tuas check point. My wife and i was travelling to singapore from malaysia, upon reaching my wife's turn for checks she was being called to the office. As usual we showed the immigration officer our married certificate, but this time it is different as officer throw us afew questions.

Q) Do you know that even after getting married it does not guarantee ur wife entry to singapore. You are still bound to checks
A) Yes, i know and thats why we are here to let you check. (Officer doesnt seems happy that i gave him this answer)

Q) Why are you travelling to singapore ?
A) I have work to do and my wife just followed me.

Q) Why is she staying singapore so often ?
A) This is the part that got her into trouble as immigration officer claims that she is not allowed to visit singapore so frequently. This is also the reason why they denied her entry. So i wish to know if there is there such law that i didnt knew existed or is it that the officer took it personally ?

Q) Are u going to apply LTVP for your wife?
A) Yes, we are going to apply it this time since i have decided to stay in singapore to work full time.

Then they brought my wife to scan all her fingers and took her photo.

After all these the officer still decides to deny her entry to singapore. So i told him to apply for LTVP the applicant needs to be in Singapore and he claims that it can be done online. And i told him it cant be done online as the form requires me to fill in her DE card number.(apparently he does not know this ?) Despites the facts i have showed him. He still decided to proceed for her departure.

Facts
1) My wife was previously on scholarship to study in NUS medicine school thus explaining her frequent visits to singapore before we got married.

2) She did not commit any crime or overstaying

4) ICA officer were not interested in what i have to say and not being helpful.

5) Officer did not mentioned anything about banning entry so we can try to enter Singapore again ?

I hope someone can advice me what to do as i personally felt that the ICA officer is abusing his authority, being unreasonable and not listening.
Issue is the below

They may have internal rules on how long anyone can stay in SG on a tourist visa. example > 3 months -> Resident of SG

Kailoon84

Post by Kailoon84 » Tue, 08 May 2018 11:23 pm

Yes i agree that they may have internal rules how ever that is not the law of singapore ? I did not applied ltvp for my wife as we were still traveling often now i have a new full time job in sg and intending to apply ltvp for her this visit. However ica officer refused to listen.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 09 May 2018 10:42 am

Your ignorance is stunning. You simply cannot expect your wife to effectively reside in Singapore without a formal residency pass of some sort. You've now made your life far more difficult as the LTVP will probably take months to get.

FYI the answer for DE card number is just to use the number from a blank card when applying outside of the country. Use that card when actually entering.

Also arguing with immigration officers is never productive and usually counter productive. NOW if you had an onward ticket for your wife (like a week later) then you'd probably have been able to come in to Singapore with her. What you looked like you were doing (and actually were doing) is a visa run and you got caught. This is why the older members on the forum ALWAYS advise against visa runs as a strategy for staying in Singapore.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Wed, 09 May 2018 11:06 am

Kailoon84 wrote:Yes i agree that they may have internal rules how ever that is not the law of singapore ? I did not applied ltvp for my wife as we were still traveling often now i have a new full time job in sg and intending to apply ltvp for her this visit. However ica officer refused to listen.
The general law for any immigration department is that they can deny entry for any foreigner. So do you want to argue that it is unlawful for them to do so for your wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 09 May 2018 11:21 am

bcheng74 wrote:
Kailoon84 wrote:Yes i agree that they may have internal rules how ever that is not the law of singapore ? I did not applied ltvp for my wife as we were still traveling often now i have a new full time job in sg and intending to apply ltvp for her this visit. However ica officer refused to listen.
The general law for any immigration department is that they can deny entry for any foreigner. So do you want to argue that it is unlawful for them to do so for your wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually by right, they don't even need to reveal the reason for denying entry.

Kailoon84

Post by Kailoon84 » Wed, 09 May 2018 12:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:Your ignorance is stunning. You simply cannot expect your wife to effectively reside in Singapore without a formal residency pass of some sort. You've now made your life far more difficult as the LTVP will probably take months to get.

FYI the answer for DE card number is just to use the number from a blank card when applying outside of the country. Use that card when actually entering.

Also arguing with immigration officers is never productive and usually counter productive. NOW if you had an onward ticket for your wife (like a week later) then you'd probably have been able to come in to Singapore with her. What you looked like you were doing (and actually were doing) is a visa run and you got caught. This is why the older members on the forum ALWAYS advise against visa runs as a strategy for staying in Singapore.
But one of the online application criteria is that applicant needs to have a short term pass with 10 or more days validity.

For all applications, if you fulfill all the following conditions, you can submit an application online:
your Travel Document has a validity of 6 months or more
your Visit Pass (short term) has a validity of 10 days or more
you would require a Local Sponsor of at least 21 years old and has a SingPass (apply for SingPass)
applicant applying for Child Scheme must not be above 21 years of age

Copied directly from ica website.

And and we are definately not doing visa run as each time we leave singapore we did not come back after 1-2 months later.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 09 May 2018 1:35 pm

Kailoon84 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Your ignorance is stunning. You simply cannot expect your wife to effectively reside in Singapore without a formal residency pass of some sort. You've now made your life far more difficult as the LTVP will probably take months to get.

But one of the online application criteria is that applicant needs to have a short term pass with 10 or more days validity.

For all applications, if you fulfill all the following conditions, you can submit an application online:
you would require a Local Sponsor of at least 21 years old and has a SingPass (apply for SingPass)

And and we are definately not doing visa run as each time we leave singapore we did not come back after 1-2 months later.
3 times in 6 months is considered as Visa Run.

suplammah

Post by suplammah » Wed, 09 May 2018 2:58 pm

Visitors pass (white card) have a limit on the number of days they can stay in Singapore. And I do not mean the number of days that was stamped or written in the white card.

Foreigners have to leave Singapore for a consecutive amount of days before this limit is reset. This depends on the nationality as well.

E.g. For Malaysians I believe they can stay up to 90 days in SG before they have to reset the limit again by not returning for 30 days consecutively.

If the Malaysian leave SG for 5 days during the 90 days period the total expiry will be 95 days later. Which he will need to leave for 30 days to reset after that.

If he stayed in SG for 30 days and then leave for 30 days he can come back SG for 90 days the next time.

That means if you leave SG and come back within 30 days you won't reset the count but will add on the expiry.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

Kailoon84

Post by Kailoon84 » Wed, 09 May 2018 4:01 pm

suplammah wrote:Visitors pass (white card) have a limit on the number of days they can stay in Singapore. And I do not mean the number of days that was stamped or written in the white card.

Foreigners have to leave Singapore for a consecutive amount of days before this limit is reset. This depends on the nationality as well.

E.g. For Malaysians I believe they can stay up to 90 days in SG before they have to reset the limit again by not returning for 30 days consecutively.

If the Malaysian leave SG for 5 days during the 90 days period the total expiry will be 95 days later. Which he will need to leave for 30 days to reset after that.

If he stayed in SG for 30 days and then leave for 30 days he can come back SG for 90 days the next time.

That means if you leave SG and come back within 30 days you won't reset the count but will add on the expiry.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk
What u mentioned i have heard people saying before but we dont know what is ica rules on that. So far i have travelled to singapore with my wife and stayed for about 25 days and leave for more then a month before returning.

Kailoon84

Post by Kailoon84 » Wed, 09 May 2018 4:03 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Kailoon84 wrote:

3 times in 6 months is considered as Visa Run.
Opps sorry i thought visa run is like staying sg for 30 days and go to msia uturn for another 30 days

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 09 May 2018 4:37 pm

Kailoon84 wrote: Opps sorry i thought visa run is like staying sg for 30 days and go to msia uturn for another 30 days
A visa run is leaving and then returning to Sg just to extend a visa. Regardless of intention it's the pattern that raises flags. And I'm sure nationality plays a part. But at the end of the day, what really matters, is what the guy on the desk thinks.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 09 May 2018 6:51 pm

Stop playing ignorant. It's selfish jerks like you who make it harder for everyone else.

Kailoon84

Post by Kailoon84 » Wed, 09 May 2018 7:16 pm

PNGMK wrote:Stop playing ignorant. It's selfish jerks like you who make it harder for everyone else.
Why am i ignorant ? You mentioned that i should fill up the form with an empty DE card number and use that card for entry, while ica website stated that to apply for ltvp, applicant needs to have at least 10 days or more validity of visit pass. So which should i be following ?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 09 May 2018 7:36 pm

Kailoon84 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Stop playing ignorant. It's selfish jerks like you who make it harder for everyone else.
Why am i ignorant ? You mentioned that i should fill up the form with an empty DE card number and use that card for entry, while ica website stated that to apply for ltvp, applicant needs to have at least 10 days or more validity of visit pass. So which should i be following ?
You can't read. There is an answer right there. For an ONLINE application you need a SVP. What does that tell you? You played the game and you got caught. Stop mucking it up for other SPR.