Singapore Expats

What are the harmful ingredients in Cosmetic products?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Urica1

What are the harmful ingredients in Cosmetic products?

Post by Urica1 » Sat, 05 May 2018 12:48 pm

I have been hearing much about this, such as lipsticks being paraben free as well as nail polishes being 7 free (so many?). How harmful are these chemicals really? Or are they just a marketing fad?

feliciabangwalldie

Re: What are the harmful ingredients in Cosmetic products?

Post by feliciabangwalldie » Sat, 05 May 2018 1:03 pm

Hey there fellow newbie!

I don't really know much about cosmetics in general, but I do know abit when it comes to Nail products.

Generally, there are in fact more than 7 ingredients that are actually harmful for your Nails. If you were to look back into the past, you can see that there were things like mercury in Nail polish even.

Right now, I would say that alot of these chemicals are no longer present in Nail polishes, however stuff like Toluene, DBP, Formaldehyde can be still found within it. Some of which are endocrine disruptors (AKA Hormone disruptors) and are proven to be carcinogenic (Source: here https://trishandtash.com/nail-health-care/3417/). So it is best to look out for them when you are looking to get Manicure or Nail polishes.
Last edited by feliciabangwalldie on Sat, 05 May 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urica1

Post by Urica1 » Sat, 05 May 2018 1:29 pm

feliciabangwalldie wrote:Hey there fellow newbie!

I don't really know much about cosmetics in general, but I do know abit when it comes to Nail products.

Generally, there are in fact more than 7 ingredients that are actually harmful for your Nails. If you were to look back into the past, you can see that there were things like mercury in Nail polish even.

Right now, I would say that alot of these chemicals are no longer present in Nail polishes, however stuff like Toluene, DBP, Formaldehyde can be still found within it. Some of which are endocrine disruptors (AKA Hormone disruptors) and are proven to be carcinogenic (Source: herehttps://trishandtash.com/nail-health-care/3417/). So it is best to look out for them when you are looking to get Manicure or Nail polishes.
Interesting.... did not know that there are that many harmful chemicals in the first place. Wonder if it is the same for all Cosmetics.

candy_c

Post by candy_c » Tue, 08 May 2018 6:54 pm

i always go for the paraben free products as long term use over time can be harmful. But soemtimes these ingredients are very hard to avoid. so i try to buy the makeup and skincare made from natural ingredients , and also which are not tested on animals

taroyam

Post by taroyam » Wed, 23 May 2018 4:44 pm

Alcohol is actually quite irritating and damaging for your skin especially when in high content, you can check your products ingredient list (the highest content will be listed in the beginning and vice versa)
You will be very surprised how a lot of products we use are filled with so much alcohol :\

Pennykee

Post by Pennykee » Fri, 29 Jun 2018 2:48 pm

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/vanessa- ... 68587.html

It is said there're these 10 ingredients that we need to avoid. It's really not that easy to looking out for all these ingredients.