Singapore Expats

British Nanny seeking employment in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Dorme93

British Nanny seeking employment in Singapore

Post by Dorme93 » Fri, 04 May 2018 4:40 am

Hello everyone,

My partner and I are looking to start working in Singapore later in the year. He has made lots of progress with a job, but I am unsure of the specifics of gaining employment as a nanny in Singapore, as I know it's possible, but it seems like most people would rather hire domestic helpers so there's not a huge amount of information out there.

We would be really grateful to anyone who would be willing to give us a bit more information if they have been through the process themselves- still lots of unanswered questions!

Thank you in advance!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: British Nanny seeking employment in Singapore

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 May 2018 6:44 am

You will not be able to be hired as a nanny as the government will not grant you a work permit for that job.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 04 May 2018 8:26 am

Strong Eagle wrote:You will not be able to be hired as a nanny as the government will not grant you a work permit for that job.
Eh? I though it was possible to be a high end Nanny under MOM (even if you don't come from a traditional FDW country like Indo/PI)? The term Nanny has a different meaning to brits to what it has here - in Britain it's more like a private governess or young child hood educator I think? it's certainly not a 'maid' type job.

This might show what OP is thinking of (ad for a english governess - degree qualified - in Singapore at a rate somewhat more than what you earn SMS!):

http://www.jobs.lady.co.uk/job/detail/id/4040

I'm sure that the employers didn't apply for a Domestic Worker Permit for their eventual hire but probably an EP or SP for a private childhood educator.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 May 2018 12:03 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:You will not be able to be hired as a nanny as the government will not grant you a work permit for that job.
Eh? I though it was possible to be a high end Nanny under MOM (even if you don't come from a traditional FDW country like Indo/PI)? The term Nanny has a different meaning to brits to what it has here - in Britain it's more like a private governess or young child hood educator I think? it's certainly not a 'maid' type job.

This might show what OP is thinking of (ad for a english governess - degree qualified - in Singapore at a rate somewhat more than what you earn SMS!):

http://www.jobs.lady.co.uk/job/detail/id/4040

I'm sure that the employers didn't apply for a Domestic Worker Permit for their eventual hire but probably an EP or SP for a private childhood educator.
You may be right, PNGMK... SMS will have to chime in here. The only woman I knew in my eight years in Singapore that was working as a nanny was officially a student. I've never seen a class of pass that would encompass the job description you mentioned but that doesn't mean anything.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 May 2018 4:30 pm

I have heard of it being done and I think I know how it is being done. A local company hires the governess just like a local company hires a programmer. This is high end, as mentioned, and I'm pretty sure MOM has a qualification for a certified Nanny/Governess. They, in turn, hire out to the Client end user family. There are cleaning companies here that do much the same thing. I suspect getting an EP or S pass instead of a WP may be a bit more difficult but it's probably the degree and certification that would allow MOM to do it. This link is a company in the UK who somehow manages, but I've not investigated to find out how. I'm pretty sure that they have figured it out though.

http://www.nanniesinc.com/nannies-singapore

Nanny Salaries in Singapore
Salaries for professional full-time nannies in Singapore

Start at £600 net per week
Going up to £1000 (++) net per week and upwards.

So I think the best place, that the OP to start, might be to contact them at the link provided.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

imrj

Post by imrj » Thu, 31 Oct 2019 12:27 am

Hello!
We are in Singapore looking to hire a British nanny. Are you looking for a family at the moment?Were you successful in getting a work permit? I'm trying to navigate the system and would be very grateful to learn about your experience!
Regards