British Nanny seeking employment in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Dorme93

British Nanny seeking employment in Singapore

Post by Dorme93 » Fri, 04 May 2018 4:40 am

Hello everyone,

My partner and I are looking to start working in Singapore later in the year. He has made lots of progress with a job, but I am unsure of the specifics of gaining employment as a nanny in Singapore, as I know it's possible, but it seems like most people would rather hire domestic helpers so there's not a huge amount of information out there.

We would be really grateful to anyone who would be willing to give us a bit more information if they have been through the process themselves- still lots of unanswered questions!

Thank you in advance!

Strong Eagle

Re: British Nanny seeking employment in Singapore

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 May 2018 6:44 am

You will not be able to be hired as a nanny as the government will not grant you a work permit for that job.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 04 May 2018 8:26 am

Strong Eagle wrote:You will not be able to be hired as a nanny as the government will not grant you a work permit for that job.
Eh? I though it was possible to be a high end Nanny under MOM (even if you don't come from a traditional FDW country like Indo/PI)? The term Nanny has a different meaning to brits to what it has here - in Britain it's more like a private governess or young child hood educator I think? it's certainly not a 'maid' type job.

This might show what OP is thinking of (ad for a english governess - degree qualified - in Singapore at a rate somewhat more than what you earn SMS!):

http://www.jobs.lady.co.uk/job/detail/id/4040

I'm sure that the employers didn't apply for a Domestic Worker Permit for their eventual hire but probably an EP or SP for a private childhood educator.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 May 2018 12:03 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:You will not be able to be hired as a nanny as the government will not grant you a work permit for that job.
Eh? I though it was possible to be a high end Nanny under MOM (even if you don't come from a traditional FDW country like Indo/PI)? The term Nanny has a different meaning to brits to what it has here - in Britain it's more like a private governess or young child hood educator I think? it's certainly not a 'maid' type job.

This might show what OP is thinking of (ad for a english governess - degree qualified - in Singapore at a rate somewhat more than what you earn SMS!):

http://www.jobs.lady.co.uk/job/detail/id/4040

I'm sure that the employers didn't apply for a Domestic Worker Permit for their eventual hire but probably an EP or SP for a private childhood educator.
You may be right, PNGMK... SMS will have to chime in here. The only woman I knew in my eight years in Singapore that was working as a nanny was officially a student. I've never seen a class of pass that would encompass the job description you mentioned but that doesn't mean anything.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 4

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 May 2018 4:30 pm

I have heard of it being done and I think I know how it is being done. A local company hires the governess just like a local company hires a programmer. This is high end, as mentioned, and I'm pretty sure MOM has a qualification for a certified Nanny/Governess. They, in turn, hire out to the Client end user family. There are cleaning companies here that do much the same thing. I suspect getting an EP or S pass instead of a WP may be a bit more difficult but it's probably the degree and certification that would allow MOM to do it. This link is a company in the UK who somehow manages, but I've not investigated to find out how. I'm pretty sure that they have figured it out though.

http://www.nanniesinc.com/nannies-singapore

Nanny Salaries in Singapore
Salaries for professional full-time nannies in Singapore

Start at £600 net per week
Going up to £1000 (++) net per week and upwards.

So I think the best place, that the OP to start, might be to contact them at the link provided.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

imrj

Post by imrj » Thu, 31 Oct 2019 12:27 am

Hello!
We are in Singapore looking to hire a British nanny. Are you looking for a family at the moment?Were you successful in getting a work permit? I'm trying to navigate the system and would be very grateful to learn about your experience!
Regards