Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application and NS chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
BananaBender

PR Application and NS chances

Postby BananaBender » Tue, 01 May 2018 5:06 pm

Hi everyone! I have been lurking this forum on and off for PR info and finally got around to posting.

To try and keep my description as short as possible:
  • Australian citizen by birth (Aussie dad, SG mum)
  • Raised/studied fully in Australia (obtained double bachelors)
  • After graduating been working in Singapore (S-pass, ~$4k) for the past 5yrs
  • I have traveled in and out of SG semi-regularly without issues
  • Recently married (wife's SG)
My intention is to apply PR without having to do NS.. However I am not sure whether I'll be considered a 1st Gen PR due to my mothers citizenship.. From my own research it seems applying PR through the PTS scheme is safest as that exempts NS obligations (if any). I have tried applying this route once before over a year back and was rejected so have since been looking at the other avenues to apply again (through marriage mainly).

So my questions:
  • What are my chances this time around if I apply PR through PTS scheme again? Since my last attempt I've up-skilled with some professional accreditation and am now married although I understand ICA doesn't consider this as much anymore until it's more 'established'.
  • Are my concerns about getting called for NS justified? I'm no young lad anymore but still quite a few years off of 40. Applying PR through family or marriage may be a quicker option but 2yrs out of career will seriously affect me and my wife's mid term plans of getting out of renting.
  • Will obtaining LTVP first help with getting PR in any way? I have been looking at LTVP to provide some security of me staying here with my wife say during a job change, etc.. But have been considering it a bit redundant if I'm really wanting PR.
Thanks and look forward to hearing your advice!

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: PR Application and NS chances

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 01 May 2018 8:00 pm

I don't think you'll be considered second gen as you were born overseas with a clear line of citizenship to Australia. You're not for example a child who was whisked away to Australia after birth in Singapore and then is trying to come back in (which really is difficult). I would apply under family scheme. Your chances are much higher. Esp if you're likely to bring children.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!