Singapore Expats Forum

Scammed by tuition agency: Strong feelings of shame and anger

Discuss various schooling options for your children here.
flyawayhome

Scammed by tuition agency: Strong feelings of shame and anger

Postby flyawayhome » Mon, 30 Apr 2018 1:06 am

A few months ago I made the dumb decision to join this ‘tuition agency’ that required me to pay $780 for a six month contract as a freelance tuition coordinator. I was rash and anxious to earn some quick bucks, so I said okay, against my better judgement.

Buyer’s remorse soon set in, and after a huge scolding from my mother (adding to that, several months of shaming by my family afterwards ) I realised how stupid it was to have to put down payment in advance just to secure a job. I was devastated but the money was already gone. I couldn’t find students to match with tutors; in the process I completely lost confidence in myself and my sense of judgement.

I also took a pay cut during that period so I felt even worse. Words cannot describe the anguish I felt when my family members shamed me for being scammed of $780, constantly reminding me that amount could have been contributed to household expenses.

{sanitized by moderator}

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: Scammed by tuition agency: Strong feelings of shame and anger

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 30 Apr 2018 8:59 am

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Please report them to CASE and possibly the police for fraud. At least then you feel you've done something to protect others.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 02 May 2018 6:21 pm

flyawayhome wrote:A few months ago I made the dumb decision to join this ‘tuition agency’ that required me to pay $780 for a six month contract as a freelance tuition coordinator. I was rash and anxious to earn some quick bucks, so I said okay, against my better judgement.

Buyer’s remorse soon set in, and after a huge scolding from my mother (adding to that, several months of shaming by my family afterwards ) I realised how stupid it was to have to put down payment in advance just to secure a job. I was devastated but the money was already gone. I couldn’t find students to match with tutors; in the process I completely lost confidence in myself and my sense of judgement.

I also took a pay cut during that period so I felt even worse. Words cannot describe the anguish I felt when my family members shamed me for being scammed of $780, constantly reminding me that amount could have been contributed to household expenses.

{sanitized by moderator}

Sounds like you have a nice supportive family structure backing you up in your moment of need.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

shikuyoe

Postby shikuyoe » Wed, 20 Mar 2019 8:44 pm

Hi. I recently forked out $780 as well. I was really sucked into it and they hardsell really hardcore.
I worked in a sales company before, and that company was very honest and upfront, and never, EVER, did hardselling.

Actually, I'm thinking of gathering a few people who have been scammed to report this tuition agency for good, and check on their records. This is fraud and false advertising in itself. Can you get back to me if you are interested and still active?