Singapore Expats Forum

Scammed by tuition agency: Strong feelings of shame and anger

Discuss various schooling options for your children here.
flyawayhome

Scammed by tuition agency: Strong feelings of shame and anger

Post by flyawayhome » Mon, 30 Apr 2018 1:06 am

A few months ago I made the dumb decision to join this ‘tuition agency’ that required me to pay $780 for a six month contract as a freelance tuition coordinator. I was rash and anxious to earn some quick bucks, so I said okay, against my better judgement.

Buyer’s remorse soon set in, and after a huge scolding from my mother (adding to that, several months of shaming by my family afterwards ) I realised how stupid it was to have to put down payment in advance just to secure a job. I was devastated but the money was already gone. I couldn’t find students to match with tutors; in the process I completely lost confidence in myself and my sense of judgement.

I also took a pay cut during that period so I felt even worse. Words cannot describe the anguish I felt when my family members shamed me for being scammed of $780, constantly reminding me that amount could have been contributed to household expenses.

{sanitized by moderator}

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: Scammed by tuition agency: Strong feelings of shame and anger

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 30 Apr 2018 8:59 am

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Please report them to CASE and possibly the police for fraud. At least then you feel you've done something to protect others.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 02 May 2018 6:21 pm

flyawayhome wrote:A few months ago I made the dumb decision to join this ‘tuition agency’ that required me to pay $780 for a six month contract as a freelance tuition coordinator. I was rash and anxious to earn some quick bucks, so I said okay, against my better judgement.

Buyer’s remorse soon set in, and after a huge scolding from my mother (adding to that, several months of shaming by my family afterwards ) I realised how stupid it was to have to put down payment in advance just to secure a job. I was devastated but the money was already gone. I couldn’t find students to match with tutors; in the process I completely lost confidence in myself and my sense of judgement.

I also took a pay cut during that period so I felt even worse. Words cannot describe the anguish I felt when my family members shamed me for being scammed of $780, constantly reminding me that amount could have been contributed to household expenses.

{sanitized by moderator}
Sounds like you have a nice supportive family structure backing you up in your moment of need.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

shikuyoe

Post by shikuyoe » Wed, 20 Mar 2019 8:44 pm

Hi. I recently forked out $780 as well. I was really sucked into it and they hardsell really hardcore.
I worked in a sales company before, and that company was very honest and upfront, and never, EVER, did hardselling.

Actually, I'm thinking of gathering a few people who have been scammed to report this tuition agency for good, and check on their records. This is fraud and false advertising in itself. Can you get back to me if you are interested and still active?

angxlicsky

Post by angxlicsky » Wed, 24 Apr 2019 7:38 pm

Hi I've also recently been scammed by their 2 year contract and I'd like to report this tuition agency. Not sure if user: shikuyoe can help as well?

shikuyoe

Post by shikuyoe » Wed, 24 Apr 2019 8:30 pm

Hi!

I'm really sorry to hear that. My investigation officer notified me that the case was passed on to the Commercial and Affairs department, and that their hands were tied. This company is really good at scamming, with so many loopholes.
The shitty feeling passes after a while, so for me I decided to just terminate my contract and bear the losses. But if you want your money back, you can try submitting a case to the police officer because I feel that a reasonable number of lodged cases will eventually lead to more investigations into the agency.

All the best, and hope you feel better soon!

angxlicsky

Post by angxlicsky » Wed, 24 Apr 2019 8:58 pm

Hi @shikuyoe, is it possible if you send me a private message? I'd like to ask you some questions regarding your termination.

Daralee

Post by Daralee » Tue, 30 Apr 2019 5:21 pm

Hi!
I've signed the contract after their much persuasive selling method on that day itself as well. It was a total waste of money and time as I did what I could, going around primary school to give out flyers.

I was lucky that my flyer were really cheap at that time, so I didn't make much lost besides my $700.

Before I sign I've actually tried looking for suspicious context but couldn't find any till recently. So I'm writing this to share me experience so more people would think twice before paying them.

Their database does work at that time when I joined probably a few years back? I was using my time and phone bill to call and contact parents/tutors. It was really hard to get people to join, find parents that need tutors as well as matching them up.

Maybe tough luck for me? Not sure if it was the same for others.

Do basically, you earn by getting new people to sign the contract (6month/1yr/2yr subscription for their database of tutors).

Or.. Matching parents (find yourself) with tutors from their database and you earn through the tutor's pay for I think 1 full month? Then subsequently a few dollars per month.

During that 6 months, I've found some parents but didn't manage to match any parents with any of their tutors (besides my friend)

The tutors I've contacted actually wanted to do it without going through trust tuition but share their pay with me instead. (but it was against the contact so ](*,) )

I wouldn't say its a TOTAL scam as they did pay me when I match my friend with a tutor. But it is not as easy as you think it can be.

Maybe the database now is dead unlike how it used to be? Last time probably HALF dead?

It was really a waste of time, effort and our subscription money. Totally not worth it, I rather you go find a decent part time job that's flexible.

REMEMBER to unsubscrip before they EAT more money from you. If I'm not wrong they did deduct money from my bank

forreals

Post by forreals » Thu, 02 May 2019 10:53 am

---

swatdylan

Post by swatdylan » Sun, 26 May 2019 6:30 pm

Hi, I came across this forum thread while google seraching...

I also feel very lousy after signing up... I signed up for 6 months and really thought to myself, "Why do I have to pay to work" It's so stupid... and i regret now... I do have a few students who are looking for tutors, but I still feel stupid for signing up for this... HAIZZZZ

vina12

Post by vina12 » Thu, 30 May 2019 6:14 pm

Hi, I came across this article, and realise you guys might have gotten misunderstood.
I've attended the briefing before together with my sister, and understood that there will be a fee you need to pay if you intend to sign up, but we are not obligated to do so if we feel we couldn't afford to pay or if thats not our cup of tea. Eventually we decided to sign up to give it a try. During training, the trainer openly told us that we have to put in our effort in order to see results, guide us through the methods to find for students and also thru advertising. We are glad to share that we have been earning pretty well per month as not only the agency solely pays us when we match tutors but also when we refer others to take up the coordinator role(and they sign up), we also do get earned. On top of that we have also found potential tutors who have not been registered with the agency to register as tutor so that we could immediately do the match.
Quoting Daralee's statements: I was using my time and phone bill to call and contact parents/tutors.( now we do not have to worry so much as we could contact them thru whatsapp and its a freelance homebased job) :D
My point of view is if you have put in your 100% effort and hardwork into finding students/parents and referring , sure to see good results, but if didnt, then obviously wouldnt see any results. It might be difficult at the start, but surely could see results once u master it!

If you guys had signed up, then I guess you guys should take full responsibility for your decisions made and not fully put the blame on the agency.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 May 2019 8:02 pm

Sounds scammy to me.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 31 May 2019 10:07 pm

Bit like a pyramid scheme, but selling service instead of physical products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

christina Neo

Post by christina Neo » Tue, 02 Jul 2019 5:42 pm

Hi,

I am going to report Trust Tuition Agency.

Anyone reported to them before?