Singapore Expats

MOM help: Regarding mismatch of names in educational certificate and passport

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Obscurityspeaks

MOM help: Regarding mismatch of names in educational certificate and passport

Post by Obscurityspeaks » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 5:37 pm

Hi,

I'm getting married soon and moving to Singapore. There's a company that's interested in taking me for the position for a social media manager but there's a catch. I recently had a name change (a few years ago) a total name change and so my educational certificates carry a different name from my passport. I'd like to be addressed by my recent name in Singapore and wouldn't like my passport name to be changed to match my certificate name. Will MOM decline my application for epass? What does it take to come clear? Any supporting documents can help?

Anyone faced the same issue?

-meghna

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: MOM help: Regarding mismatch of names in educational certificate and passport

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 5:48 pm

This one is easy. Bring a copy of the Deed Poll/legal document that was used to legally change your name. If you don't have one, then I'm afraid you might be out of luck. Although stranger things have happened.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: MOM help: Regarding mismatch of names in educational certificate and passport

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 8:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:This one is easy. Bring a copy of the Deed Poll/legal document that was used to legally change your name. If you don't have one, then I'm afraid you might be out of luck. Although stranger things have happened.
I would add that if you don't have one you can create a new one. See a solicitor.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 8:39 pm

PNGMK wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:This one is easy. Bring a copy of the Deed Poll/legal document that was used to legally change your name. If you don't have one, then I'm afraid you might be out of luck. Although stranger things have happened.
I would add that if you don't have one you can create a new one. See a solicitor.
That MIGHT work, but only if the solicitor is willing to backdate it to cover the issuance of her passport. Otherwise, it would look even shadier.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 8:42 pm

As her primary document will be a passport she could get a new deed poll and then a passport and the time line works.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!