Singapore Expats Forum

Employment pass issues...

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Penny

Employment pass issues...

Postby Penny » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 3:25 pm

Once an employment pass application is declined is it likely, that if you submit an appeal, the appeal will be successful?

I am currently waiting for a response for my appeal... Is the appeal process pointless, am I getting my hopes up for nothing?

If anyone has been through this I would appreciate your advice.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:38 am

Having an EP rejected is always a bad sign. Unless your company has managed to find some really pressing reasons for why you should be allowed in (or increased your salary), your odds aren't good. To date I can recall precisely one (1) case where an appeal was successfull... ...

Penny

Postby Penny » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 1:28 pm

Appreciate your honesty.

impossible is nothing

appeals can be successful

Postby impossible is nothing » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 1:41 pm

When I applied for my EP in 1999, it was rejected for a whopping 5 times before getting approved.

my employer had the patience to appeal so many times and everytime with a strong letter from the director why company cannot do without me.

jpatokal

Re: appeals can be successful

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 03 Mar 2005 9:00 pm

impossible is nothing wrote:When I applied for my EP in 1999, it was rejected for a whopping 5 times before getting approved.

my employer had the patience to appeal so many times and everytime with a strong letter from the director why company cannot do without me.

Can I ask what your line of work and salary was? Did you keep them the same throughout the process?

impossible is nothing

Postby impossible is nothing » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 9:03 am

I work in IT and my salary at that time was S$ 2500/-. After my first EP application, appeal were rejected, I found another job with even lower salary S$ 2200/- and applied for a fresh EP, which was rejected thrice and finally got approved.

im not happy

Postby Guest » Sat, 05 Mar 2005 7:02 pm

hi guys, good thing this topic has been started. iwould like to ask advise from you all. I am currently working in a company where I didn't really practice my field. Probably you are asking why did I accept the job. Well it's because I thought I will like it but unfortunately, I didn't. My current job's client is the one that I am concerned of. The client of my company is my dream company. So I would like to serve them as best as I can. However, I dont like my salary. It's so low. =( I am working for about 3 months already and I am thinking to apply to another company. I currently have an E-Pass. I saw from the MOM website that the existing E-pass may not be cancelled while you are applying for the new pass. Please see below esp. the words in bold:

Where there is a change of employer, the Employment / S Pass holder is required to submit a new application. Each application made will be considered based on the merits of the case. Submission of new Employment / S Pass applications under a different employer can be made without the cancellation of existing Employment / S Pass.

What does that merit mean? I hope you could enlighten me. Thanks!

Postby Guest » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 2:03 pm

would like to up this thread. :roll:

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 3:00 pm

Dear Guest,

Employment passes exist to control immigration. The idea is that no foreigner can get a job unless it can be shown that the needed skills and experience cannot be found locally. If you came in on an EP, your company was able to demonstrate that you had skills they could not readily find.

If you change jobs, your next company must also demonstrate they cannot find your skills anywhere else. Since you already have an EP, the chances are good you will have the same "merit" but it is not guaranteed. Your old company may have a better ratio of locals to EP's and/or do a better job of writing justification letters.

If you interview, one of your questions should be the ability of a company to get you an EP, given you already have one.

Strong Eagle

Postby Guest » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 4:16 pm

Dear Strong Eagle,

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it. The reason why I am asking this is because I heard that some foreigners (like me) who tried transferring to another company were denied by MOM. I am not so sure if this is so true though, but whatever it is, I still would want to work here. It is just the way I am feeling. It seems I always chicken out trying.
Some of my ex colleagues in my previous company/employer (outside singapore) were not given an employment pass that time and only 4 of us out of 10 were granted.

What if I have tried to several different companies, would this give me a de merit to MOM? Thank you so much for giving me an advice....

jpatokal

Re: im not happy

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:Each application made will be considered based on the merits of the case. Submission of new Employment / S Pass applications under a different employer can be made without the cancellation of existing Employment / S Pass.

What does that merit mean? I hope you could enlighten me. Thanks!

It means that, like immigration/employment offices anywhere, they are free to do exactly what they please and don't have to give you an EP if they don't feel like it.

If you're going to do job-hopping in Singapore, it's highly advisable to get PR first -- not least because without it, you have two (2) weeks to leave the country if you get fired.

gotta_think
Regular
Regular

Postby gotta_think » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:34 pm

Hello, thanks for that information. I think I won't able to apply for PR yet cos I just came last December. Thing is, the requirement for getting a PR would also depend on the current salary cos you will pay for your CPF. My salary won't allow cos it's too low (i'm underpaid)... :(

gotta_think
Regular
Regular

Postby gotta_think » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:49 am

up :roll: