Singapore Expats

Toilet seats almost always wet!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
NCD22

Toilet seats almost always wet!

Post by NCD22 » Mon, 16 Apr 2018 8:06 pm

Evening everyone,

I’m a guy so i don’t usually use the actual toilet most times in a public restroom (urinals take care of most of my personal needs), but our daughter is two and now potty training so i now do so on a semi-regular basis and have noticed that, almost without fail, every toilet we use the toilet seat is spattered or almost entirely covered in water droplets (even the ones that don’t have the hose next to them). I initially got upset and made my daughter wait a few moments for me to spray the seat with sterilizer and then wipe it down, but as that is uncomfortable for my daughter and because it is sooooo prevalent, i got tired of it and now just hold her up and don’t let her touch the ‘dirty’ seat.

Anyways, not a critizism really as perhaps it is a cultural thing and i have found a way to circumvent the situation, but am just curious as to why the toilet seats are almost always wet?

Cheers,
:wink: ››NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE REAL THING‹‹ :wink:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Toilet seats almost always wet!

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 16 Apr 2018 9:39 pm

They are being cleaned for you. I've found this phenomenon in many places, even in the airport at Dubai. Wet toilets... they have washed it down for you. No sprayer? There's often a jug for exactly that purpose.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Tue, 17 Apr 2018 8:17 pm

Im not sure if Strong Eagle is taking the piss (sorry, couldnt resist :-" ) but I find that in the mens toilets the reason the toilets are wet is because guys pee in the cubicles without lifting the seat first.

Personally I think its because their package is so small they are ashamed to use the urinal, but when they have privacy they think it is so much bigger and stand back. I have seen this happen where guys dont bother to close the door just stand there and publicly urinate with the seat down. It takes every ounce of my self control not to say what a filthy pig they are.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:59 pm

The Ref wrote:Im not sure if Strong Eagle is taking the piss (sorry, couldnt resist :-" ) but I find that in the mens toilets the reason the toilets are wet is because guys pee in the cubicles without lifting the seat first.

Personally I think its because their package is so small they are ashamed to use the urinal, but when they have privacy they think it is so much bigger and stand back. I have seen this happen where guys dont bother to close the door just stand there and publicly urinate with the seat down. It takes every ounce of my self control not to say what a filthy pig they are.
I am well aware of the assholes who piss all over the toilet seat... in my office building there is one such dickwad... always a turd in the punchbowl, yes.

But, I am serious... washing down the toilet is a very common practice in many parts of Asia and the middle east. Take a leak. Take a dump. Flush, then spray shower. Now perhaps you won't find this at the Hilton in Saigon or Hanoi but you will in many other places.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Tue, 17 Apr 2018 11:27 pm

its better here than most other places in the world. Ever tried to find a clean public toilet seat in San Francisco, even in the posh parts of town?

Go on and continue sanitizing the seat yourself. That’s what I do.
NCD22 wrote:Evening everyone,

I’m a guy so i don’t usually use the actual toilet most times in a public restroom (urinals take care of most of my personal needs), but our daughter is two and now potty training so i now do so on a semi-regular basis and have noticed that, almost without fail, every toilet we use the toilet seat is spattered or almost entirely covered in water droplets (even the ones that don’t have the hose next to them). I initially got upset and made my daughter wait a few moments for me to spray the seat with sterilizer and then wipe it down, but as that is uncomfortable for my daughter and because it is sooooo prevalent, i got tired of it and now just hold her up and don’t let her touch the ‘dirty’ seat.

Anyways, not a critizism really as perhaps it is a cultural thing and i have found a way to circumvent the situation, but am just curious as to why the toilet seats are almost always wet?

Cheers,

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 1:51 pm

Clean public restrooms is one of the perks of living in the USA. Even the restrooms at the rest stops along freeways are very decent. My daughter was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness when she went to her first baseball game at the park, given the volume of visitors. No doubt they maintain a legion of cleaners at that park but it is impossible for the cleaner to clean up after each person. Ultimately, it is up to the users to maintain the cleanliness.
Strong Eagle wrote:
But, I am serious... washing down the toilet is a very common practice in many parts of Asia and the middle east. Take a leak. Take a dump. Flush, then spray shower.
I have seen the occasional wet seats in the ladies restrooms. I am not sure about the washing down. By who? The users or the janitors? Shouldn't they dry it off for the next users? I know, we may be talking about a different cultural mindset too ? In short, I don't know how the toilet seats get wet.

But what I do know is that Singapore still has ways to go in that respect. There are instances where I had to hold it in to avoid dealing with the stench in some public restrooms e.g MRT stations. I understand it is aggravated by the humid weather but really, if people are careful about containing it within the allocated receptacle, there should be no stench?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 2:06 pm

The Ref wrote: I have seen this happen where guys dont bother to close the door just stand there and publicly urinate with the seat down. It takes every ounce of my self control not to say what a filthy pig they are.
They are indeed very selfish. No consideration for the needs of other people, only their own needs. It also begets the question, what are parents for? Why aren't they teaching their kids hygiene, manners and social responsibility of the sharing of the public space. I can understand if this takes place in an impoverished country where people are so poor that they would be preoccupied with meeting the most basic needs. But we are talking about a first world country here.