Singapore Expats

Children on DP in local school and parents EP cancelled.

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
singularity

Children on DP in local school and parents EP cancelled.

Post by singularity » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 9:34 pm

Hi all
I’m speculating this scenario.
If the parents of children (on DP) studying in local school, loose their job, and their EP is cancelled, is there an option for children to continue schooling here?
Any pass for parents to stay here till they find another job? Or an extended stay (more than currrent 1 month after EP cancellation)?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Children on DP in local school and parents EP cancelled.

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 9:56 pm

Not sure..May be can try for Student Pass?

https://www.ica.gov.sg/pass/studentpass/gov

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 10:36 pm

The only problem with that is only Peidu Mamas are allowed. This means either , the mother or the grandmother, either or. Father is not allowed nor would the father be allowed to be in Singapore either. I'm afraid there is no joy there.

Sadly, there are no provisions made for dependents in local schools if the parent cannot get their work passes renewed. It's just the way it is.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 07 Apr 2018 6:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The only problem with that is only Peidu Mamas are allowed. This means either , the mother or the grandmother, either or. Father is not allowed nor would the father be allowed to be in Singapore either. I'm afraid there is no joy there.

Sadly, there are no provisions made for dependents in local schools if the parent cannot get their work passes renewed. It's just the way it is.
In Thailand when this happened to a colleague they were able to get a guardian visa for each parent as they had two kids in school. Could this be a workaround here if there are two children?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Apr 2018 8:35 pm

I've never heard of one successfully done but I suppose it is worth a try. Not sure if they even have such a thing. Well, they do, but it's what I referred to. The Study Mama visa. It's only eligible to mothers and grandmothers. All of the documents are required and preclude the father (except he has to be divorced or dead), to wit:
Passport biodata page
Disembarkation/Embarkation (D/E) card
Marriage certificate
Divorce certificate and custody papers, if any
Your recent passport-sized, digital, colour photograph taken within the last three months.
Your child’s birth certificate, passport and Student’s Pass card (if the applicant is the child’s mother) or;
Your grandchild’s birth certificate and those of his/her parents, and his/her Student’s Pass card (If you are the child’s grandmother).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 08 Apr 2018 11:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've never heard of one successfully done but I suppose it is worth a try. Not sure if they even have such a thing. Well, they do, but it's what I referred to. The Study Mama visa. It's only eligible to mothers and grandmothers. All of the documents are required and preclude the father (except he has to be divorced or dead), to wit:
Passport biodata page
Marriage certificate
Your recent passport-sized, digital, colour photograph taken within the last three months.
Your child’s birth certificate, passport and Student’s Pass card (if the applicant is the child’s mother) or;
Your grandchild’s birth certificate and those of his/her parents, and his/her Student’s Pass card (If you are the child’s grandmother).
Time for the sexist crap to be challenged.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

skipper
Regular
Regular

Post by skipper » Wed, 18 Apr 2018 5:29 pm

PNGMK wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've never heard of one successfully done but I suppose it is worth a try. Not sure if they even have such a thing. Well, they do, but it's what I referred to. The Study Mama visa. It's only eligible to mothers and grandmothers. All of the documents are required and preclude the father (except he has to be divorced or dead), to wit:
Passport biodata page
Marriage certificate
Time for the sexist crap to be challenged.
My friend lost her job last Jan, she was on EP and her daughter was studying in an IS under SP. Apparently she was able to get an LTVP under her daughter's SP. Fortunately, she just found a job a few weeks back. Can't imagine though the depression she went through, as she was also worried about her daughter's SP.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:17 pm

skipper wrote: My friend lost her job last Jan, she was on EP and her daughter was studying in an IS under SP. Apparently she was able to get an LTVP under her daughter's SP. Fortunately, she just found a job a few weeks back. Can't imagine though the depression she went through, as she was also worried about her daughter's SP.
Student Passes will always be renewed if the fees are still being paid. Surviving here with International School fees and living costs without a job will be more of the issue.
(I have no idea if the initial issuing of Student Passes will be impacted by non working parents)