Singapore Expats

Music performing career advancement

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Elyvia

Music performing career advancement

Post by Elyvia » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 12:20 am

Hi all! I've just took on violin a year ago and currently am working hard to get up the grades. Am an adult beginner. Am thinking of a career change towards a music performer but I want to ask around for opinions as well. I know it's hard to pursue music in Singapore, but I'm willing to try. Teaching seems like an easier path to earn money in Singapore, but if I have a choice, I would want to go for performer rather than teaching..

First, for musicians out there, will you think getting a diploma in music from any school (eg, Nafa) will be of any use if I want to pursue the career path of music performer? Or do you think I should focus on getting just my ABRSM grades

Second, have anyone gone through degree in music in Nafa? I read that the degree allows you to travel to RCM in London for experience. How was the trip? Does it help in career advancement back in Singapore, or are there any opportunities for overseas studies/jobs ?

Last but not least, finance wise. I've checked the fees for diploma and degree in music. In Nafa's case, the diploma is still manageable but the degree fees are quite high, since there's a trip to RCM. Any tips on the finance??

Thanks in advance for any opinions!