Singapore Expats

Help for possible Options for moving there - early stages, Visas etc

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
globalmark

Help for possible Options for moving there - early stages, Visas etc

Post by globalmark » Thu, 05 Apr 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Guys

I am a British and Australian Citizen and in a relationship with a Singapore girl - and just wondered if in the future it goes anywhere which it is looking like it might - what are the options to move to Singapore -
I have looked on this site and googled alot - and most are related to a Employer relocating you and sorting visa out for you etc -
However i would not have one of those as I am a tradesman -
Cabinet Maker, Furniture maker, shop fitter, Ex mechanic - Scuba diving Instructor also

Would there be any option short of Marriage which might happen in future who knows !
Of me moving there (moving in with her or my own place) getting a Job and staying there so can continue with relationship and hopefully 1 day maybe marry her .

I am not bothered about PR or citizenship at this time unless i would have to - I OWN my house in Australia and have some money - so not a strain on Gov (Australians care about this) .

Any suggestions or recomendations or ideas would be much appriciated - I have no idea what visa's or whatever necessary I have looked on the GOV Immigration site but could spend days decifering the info there ..

Thanks all
Mark

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Help for possible Options for moving there - early stages, Visas etc

Post by The Ref » Thu, 05 Apr 2018 11:53 pm

I am not an expert in this, but the skills you have are valued in Australia but are not valued here. Cabinet makers and mechanics are generally either Malay or older Singaporeans who dont get paid much. While money may not be important to you, it is to the Government - why should they give a pass to someone who is taking the jobs from current Citizens.

Jobs like Cabinet making, electrical, plumbing, etc are not licensed here.

There are many people who do Scuba training here, however many go to one of the neighboring countries where you can learn to dive on a tropical island rather than a busy metropolis.

I dont want to be a downer, but if you want to move here then finding a job that pays enough to live and where you get a pass issued may be tough with your skill set. Maybe looking at getting a job with a cabinet furniture maker where you can look at improving the build process, or project manage the fitouts?

globalmark

Post by globalmark » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 12:11 am

Hi The ref

Thank for Honest reply - gives me some idea's at least, no dont want to take a job from a Local for sure
But if going to be with this Lady from Singapore i will have to go there as she has 2 kids already so hard for her to move to me.
So looks like will have to sort something out - whatever it maybe be - I am aware diving is not great there and shops take people to Indonesia or Malaysia - option to work in a dive shop in the city but guess same thing. My cabinet making skills are limited as only worked a couple years at that so dont know about managing Fit outs etc - but worth looking into Thanks for the suggestions .

ANy other ideas or suggestions anyone has would also be appriciated

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 12:26 am

If she makes enough money in theory she could sponsor you for a long term visa if you were in a deactivate (defacto) relationship. In the meantime you're limited to thirty day visits.
Last edited by PNGMK on Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

globalmark

Post by globalmark » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 12:35 am

Hi Pngmk

Thanks for that - yes guess might be lots 30-day trips for now and see what the future brings -

she could sponsor me (interesting worth looking into) I guess- not sure her salary as she is a full-time School teacher and school counsellor and never mentioned a specific salary) But i have enough money to pay for myself thats not a issue. But guessing the GOV required a amount.

Just trying to see if would be possible even 1 day to move there live and work - just to be with her.
anyway Thanks for that info
Cheers Mark

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 6:11 am

globalmark wrote:Hi Pngmk

Thanks for that - yes guess might be lots 30-day trips for now and see what the future brings -

she could sponsor me (interesting worth looking into) I guess- not sure her salary as she is a full-time School teacher and school counsellor and never mentioned a specific salary) But i have enough money to pay for myself thats not a issue. But guessing the GOV required a amount.

Just trying to see if would be possible even 1 day to move there live and work - just to be with her.
anyway Thanks for that info
Cheers Mark
Sponsor doesn't mean pay you, it means she can assure the government that you won't be a burden. School teachers make enough to do this. Also a 30 day visa (SVP) can be extended online once or twice while you're in country.

globalmark

Post by globalmark » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 6:32 am

Hi PNGMK

Thanks for that - I sorta understood that sponser doesnt pay anything as works same in Australia - Plus i can prove I have enough savings to not be a burden myself anyway if needs be.
Do you know if she sponsered me i could find a job and work or is that a long term non working option
I was looking for a way i could be there with her and work as cannot just sit in Singapore on tourist Visa 30 days even if can extend it . (As i presume thats what a 30 day visa is for)

Thanks again Mark

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 9:45 am

globalmark wrote:Hi PNGMK

Thanks for that - I sorta understood that sponser doesnt pay anything as works same in Australia - Plus i can prove I have enough savings to not be a burden myself anyway if needs be.
Do you know if she sponsered me i could find a job and work or is that a long term non working option
I was looking for a way i could be there with her and work as cannot just sit in Singapore on tourist Visa 30 days even if can extend it . (As i presume thats what a 30 day visa is for)

Thanks again Mark
I think the only way you could do this (without being married or defacto and certified as such) is to start a business. It doesn't appear you have the profile that would get you a job. IF you start a company you can (it's complicated) eventually issue yourself a work permit which means you can live in Singapore.

Pathways open to you:

1. SVP -> defacto/marriage ->LTVP+ (lets you work).

2. SVP -> Find a job -> get an EP and work in Singapore.

3. SVP -> start a business (need a Singapore director/partner) -> business obtains a work permit for you. Business needs business plan, bank accounts yada yada. Strong Eagle posts a lot on this topic.

4. Investor status PR > pay $5MM upwards (I think).

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 9:46 am

How old are you?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 10:02 am

globalmark wrote: I was looking for a way i could be there with her and work as cannot just sit in Singapore on tourist Visa 30 days even if can extend it . (As i presume thats what a 30 day visa is for)
Correct, it's for tourists, not working. And Aussies and Brits used to get 90 days, that may have changed. You can renew several times by travelling abroad. Best not to do the visa runs to Batam or Malaysia, go further afield. I have known people who have lasted years here on that sort of arrangement, but it's not a recommendation, you could quickly find yourself outside Sg and unable to return.

Here and not working gets tired pretty quickly, unless you have interests to keep you occupied. I've seen plenty of people, mainly trailing spouses, go quietly insane.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:29 am

Yes there is no point coming here if all you're going to do is drink. My wife didn't work for a few years and she kept herself busy with a whole load of voluntary work via our church and some other orgs. If you have the wherewithal to fly up regularly for a few years and keep yourself busy elsewhere that's possibly an option until her kids are old enough to be on their own.

globalmark

Post by globalmark » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 4:10 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for the replies So far - I am getting lots great options and Info here.
All useful info to absorb and find a way.
PMGMK - I am 45 - (i Know in Australia when i became citizen was under 35 to get more points on visa etc)

yes I know I am not the sort of person that can sit around and do nothing or drink much - been a traveler for many years - and never stayed in one place to long. Have lots hobbies but thats not the point as would not want her paying for me.
Her kids are 4-7 so that would be a long wait there.

I guess there would be a option for me to live in close by Malaysia and work in Diving there - but not sure how far would have to go for good spot ..

Thanks again guys for info much appriciated ..
and if anyone has any other info - ideas also be great
Cheers Mark

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 6:38 pm

Malaysia has a MMH2 program which you can use your money to get a 10 year resident visa. You can consider that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk