Singapore Expats

Landlord almost wipe out all my deposit, need help

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
liangchendean
Regular
Regular

Landlord almost wipe out all my deposit, need help

Post by liangchendean » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 1:24 am

When we did our flat handover back to the landlord, there are a lot of findings in the handover list and when I receive the repair quotation, I was shocked, $2400 security deposit with a balance of $40. They have already done everything, never inform us before hand for the cost incurred though.

Anyway we are willing to pay reasonable repair costs, however the landlord demand us to pay $899 to replace a new TV. As the old set suddenly has a vertical fine line in the middle of the screen while it’s off, but when we test it by turning on the TV, no issue at all, works as per normal, can’t see the line. And also there are some patches on the screen as they mention, frankly speaking we hardly use this TV for past 2 years. The landlord insisted that it was a damage and crack from outside, kinda misuse and negligence. But the problem is that he never show me the diagnosis report to prove the issue addressed by him and replaced it without asking us, It is a pretty old LCD set, and it should be considered as wear n tear. It is not a new set while handed over to us 2 years ago. We should only be liable for $150 max according to the contract. But the landlord demand $899 without negotiation.

What should I do? Am I right to say that I am liable for $150 only??? I have attached pictures.

Pls help!

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Landlord almost wipe out all my deposit, need help

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 7:19 am

Respond with a letter outlining your case. If he doesn't pay back the money take the case to SCT.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Landlord almost wipe out all my deposit, need help

Post by JustSee » Wed, 11 Apr 2018 1:32 pm

PNGMK wrote:Respond with a letter outlining your case. If he doesn't pay back the money take the case to SCT.
Second that.