Singapore Expats

Delivering baby in SG vs. India

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
genuineexpat

Delivering baby in SG vs. India

Post by genuineexpat » Sun, 01 Apr 2018 11:21 am

Hello There,
Kindly advise if there is singnificant value in delivering our baby here in Singapore versus India.

Considerations:
1. Medical costs in Singapore are much higher. 3.5K - 6K more in SG - includes travel cost of pregnant couple and their parents depending on the scenario

2. We are planning to apply for PR for the baby - not sure if place of birth of the kid makes any difference

4. Child will be educated here in SIN
Last edited by genuineexpat on Sun, 01 Apr 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Delivering baby in SG vs. India

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 01 Apr 2018 11:53 am

Are the parents PR?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 9:29 am

genuineexpat wrote:Hello There,
Kindly advise if there is singnificant value in delivering our baby here in Singapore versus India.

Considerations:
1. Medical costs in Singapore are much higher. 3.5K - 6K more in SG - includes travel cost of pregnant couple and their parents depending on the scenario

2. We are planning to apply for PR for the baby - not sure if place of birth of the kid makes any difference

What's a pregnant couple

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 11:34 pm

genuineexpat wrote:Hello There,

Considerations:

As I recall, you are the folks that are also thinking about applying for PR but really want to go to the USA on a job offer, and want to know if that will affect later PR chances. Yes?

"Significant value" in delivering a child in Singapore? What's that? Here's my two cents. Having a baby anywhere but in Singapore will once again demonstrate the transient nature of your commitment to Singapore. Jobs? Better job in USA but I'll come back when done. Pregnancy? Cheaper in India... but we'll come back.

My sense is that you aren't really married to Singapore at all, only looking for the "best deal". And, there's nothing wrong with that... we all look for the best deal in our lives.

And, you need to determine whether your actions are in line with your stated goals of PR in Singapore. In the end, I don't think it matters where your child is born, given the other PR issues that you have previously described. Then again, if you've got the ability to settle permanently in India or the USA, I'd have to question the transient nature of Singapore PR... these days, it ONLY keeps you from being tossed from the country if you lose your job.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Apr 2018 1:24 pm

This! ^^^^
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers