Singapore Expats

Good Investment Options for EP holders

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
genuineexpat

Good Investment Options for EP holders

Post by genuineexpat » Sun, 01 Apr 2018 11:13 am

Thank You for your kind attention. I need an investment advise. I am a bginner in investments. I totally understand that this is a broad question. I will try to be specific.

Context:
Say I have c.10K savings per month.

Expectations are:
1. Plan for child's education (until University) - two kids 1 year and 2.5 years - still some more time before they strat school
2. Plan for retirement at 55 or 60
3. Plan for parent's medical expenses (no insurance)
4. Plan for self medical expenses
5. Life insurance
6. Buy house in Singapore (applying for PR for the second time after 7 years of stay)...even if we get PR (for the family) it takes 3 years before I can own. HDB flat

Questions:
1. Advise a quality investment book or channel that I should refer to

2. Given I am in SG and a foriegner, what are my options? (I will assume I will get PR in 2 years from now)

Possible options of investment:
1. SG stocks vs. Indian stocks
2. Deposit in Indian banks - Indian interest rates are better than SG bank interest rates
3. Home in SG (3 to 5 years from now)
4. Crypto currency
5. Real Estate
6. Life Insurance

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Good Investment Options for EP holders

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 01 Apr 2018 2:47 pm

Go to money mind forum in hardware zone. You will find Shiny Things thread there. Thank me later :)

I am also Indian EP holder working in SG since 9 years, I invest in global ETFs via interactive brokers. About 70% of my money is still in Indian NRE FDs. Rest is offshore. Singapore is the best country to keep your wealth as there is no capital gains tax. Singapore PR though, for an Indian is next to impossible.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 02 Apr 2018 10:48 am

Wd40 wrote:Go to money mind forum in hardware zone. You will find Shiny Things thread there. Thank me later :)

I am also Indian EP holder working in SG since 9 years, I invest in global ETFs via interactive brokers. About 70% of my money is still in Indian NRE FDs. Rest is offshore. Singapore is the best country to keep your wealth as there is no capital gains tax. Singapore PR though, for an Indian is next to impossible.

I would add that SRS is in effect an excellent savings tool for an EP holder (in the long term).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Apr 2018 1:55 pm

Wd40 wrote:Go to money mind forum in hardware zone. You will find Shiny Things thread there. Thank me later :)

Hi WD40,
Are u referring to this?

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/stoc ... ndices-92/

OR

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/

Which one?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 03 Apr 2018 2:06 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:

Hi WD40,
Are u referring to this?

OR

Which one?
The latter one, in that there is a thread, called official Shiny Things thread. It is a gold mine of knowledge of investments.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Apr 2018 2:36 pm

Wd40 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

Hi WD40,
Are u referring to this?

OR

Which one?
The latter one, in that there is a thread, called official Shiny Things thread. It is a gold mine of knowledge of investments.

Thanks WD40

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Sun, 15 Apr 2018 7:49 am

Singapore PR though, for an Indian is next to impossible.

1.Singapore PR though, for an Indian is next to impossible. that's not true..it depends on your job sector.

2. I wouldn't introduce myself as an Indian in that forum if I were you :mrgreen: .

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 15 Apr 2018 8:57 am

emergency234 wrote:

1.Singapore PR though, for an Indian is next to impossible. that's not true..it depends on your job sector.

2. I wouldn't introduce myself as an Indian in that forum if I were you :mrgreen: .
I have introduced myself as an Indian and I am a regular there now, that this forum is dead. No problems. The money mind forum is exactly opposite of the Edmw forum. Edmw is the 30% and money mind is 70%. :)

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Sun, 15 Apr 2018 9:29 am

Wd40 wrote:
emergency234 wrote:

I have introduced myself as an Indian and I am a regular there now, that this forum is dead. No problems. The money mind forum is exactly opposite of the Edmw forum. Edmw is the 30% and money mind is 70%. :)

haha.will have a look through the forum.

Gaurav123

Post by Gaurav123 » Mon, 09 Aug 2021 6:02 pm

emergency234 wrote:
Sun, 15 Apr 2018 7:49 am

Replying on your 1st Point where you say not it is not and it depends on your job sector ... "Yes it is near impossible regardless of sector, as compared to other nationalities who just get within 6 month (don't want to name but it is the most obvious). 14% drop in foreign workers already and all from 1 country, yet they are blamed all the time. That is the truth on ground if you had looked closely."

Rocketboy

Post by Rocketboy » Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:15 pm

From your 6 options - bank deposit is the worst idea, rest looks good, why not do all. I am not sure if US stocks are not in the list due to legal limitations you may have because if not I would surely prefer US over SG stocks (not sure about Indian).

At 10k investable a month you can start looking at private equity as well.

I would add that your strategy should heavily depend on how actively you plan to manage your investment and how much you are willing to risk.

Lets take Crypto - if you go with major 2 (BTC / ETH) and use a DEfi lending platform with compound interest, or keep it in cold wallet this is a very good hedge long term but you may see short term loss.
But if you take crypto and go with trading alts vs btc for example, you could outperform the market (assuming you know how to trade) but its a daily effort.

You take stocks - if you do option trading you can be at around 20% annual returns regardless of the stock price (with no risk of loosing money - covered calls) but again - you need to do fundamental analysis and manage your positions actively.

You could take dividend paying funds, and enjoy 6-7% annual without doing anything...

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 13 Aug 2021 8:23 am

Whatever you do, time in the market, as opposed to timing the market. Though that said, today may well be the exception to the rule, given the awful mess fiat is in.

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:29 pm

Gaurav123 wrote:
Mon, 09 Aug 2021 6:02 pm
emergency234 wrote:
Sun, 15 Apr 2018 7:49 am

Replying on your 1st Point where you say not it is not and it depends on your job sector ... "Yes it is near impossible regardless of sector, as compared to other nationalities who just get within 6 month (don't want to name but it is the most obvious). 14% drop in foreign workers already and all from 1 country, yet they are blamed all the time. That is the truth on ground if you had looked closely."
Health sector - restructured hospital - know quite a few Single ( not married ) colleagues who got PR 1st submission.