Singapore Expats

swim school or private coaching?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
lujca37

swim school or private coaching?

Post by lujca37 » Tue, 27 Mar 2018 10:22 pm

Hi everyone, I have a 4 year old daughter and a 5 year old son and i plan on getting them both started on swimming.

My wife and I have considered swim schools such as aquaDucks and Happy Fish, but often we find that sending the kids to and fro from music classes during the weekends do take up our free time for other activities.

We live in a condo and were thinking of getting private lessons for our kids in the pool instead as that might be convenient for both of us. What are the price differences between swim school and private coaching? And do any of you have recommendations for children private swim coach?

flyingwater

Re: swim school or private coaching?

Post by flyingwater » Wed, 28 Mar 2018 5:32 pm

The best option is to find a swim school that is walking distance from your house, so that at the least somebody like your domestic helper (if you have one) can send and pick up the kids from the swimming lesson.
Nonetheless, swim schools are few and far apart and a private swimming instructor for your kids might just be a better option. I have a friend (Shawn) who is a swimming instructor for kids and can coach at condos. You can text him at 91711553. Cheers and I hope that helps!

lujca37

Post by lujca37 » Sun, 01 Apr 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks flyingwater, Shawn has gotten back to me and scheduled with me my kids' swimming lesson timeslot.
Those of you looking for a private coach for your kids, do not hesitate to drop him a text for further enquiries as he still has many timeslots available for private coaching. Thanks and God Bless!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 02 Apr 2018 8:47 am

Make sure your condo allows this first - some have rules about no coaching in the pool (it can interfere with others use of the facility). We did a year of private coaching and then moved our 7 yo into a class at Serangoon - she actually does better in a group setting.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

lujca37

Post by lujca37 » Mon, 02 Apr 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks for the advice PNGMK, I'll check with my condo management first before starting anything.

Was it her private coach, or does she prefer having other kids around during lessons? I understand some kids prefer attending lessons with their siblings rather than alone. Thanks

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 02 Apr 2018 8:00 pm

lujca37 wrote:Thanks for the advice PNGMK, I'll check with my condo management first before starting anything.

Was it her private coach, or does she prefer having other kids around during lessons? I understand some kids prefer attending lessons with their siblings rather than alone. Thanks
She likes being in groups.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Cheri778

Post by Cheri778 » Sat, 09 Jun 2018 3:48 pm

I came across his blog a few days ago. He writes about topics on children's swimming and development.

http://www.young-swimmers.blogspot.sg

I think it is quite an interesting and informative read for parents :)