Singapore Expats Forum

MRT to Changi airport

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

MRT to Changi airport

Postby Yutenji » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 6:23 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question that everyone else knows the answer to, but ...

Why didn't they build the MRT line to Changi as a direct service (e.g. don't need to change at Tanah Merah)?

I understand that not -every- train would go directly there, but maybe every third or fourth one could be a direct service.

Its a pain in the *** changing at Tanah Merah, particularly with luggage, and waiting in the humidity.

I look forward to the usual selection of helpful replies, plus the usual selection of pointless flames and abuse. :roll:

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 8:26 pm

*shrugs* No idea? They had direct service before??? Wondered why... :wink:

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:00 pm

SMRT's side of the story:
http://www.smrt.com.sg/pressrele_arch90.htm

The real reason, presumably, is that ridership was too low, although obviously converting to shuttle service didn't help things one bit. The MRT is painfully slow for going to (say) Jurong, what they really need is express services...

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 9:54 am

jpatokal, you put me to shame!!! :oops:

Guess I'm not very "involved" or following up closely what's been happening around me... when I've been "trapped" in this concrete jungle for the past 2X years... *LOL* :P

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Yutenji » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 6:12 pm

jpatokal wrote:SMRT's side of the story:
http://www.smrt.com.sg/pressrele_arch90.htm

Aha, ima wakarimasu. My timing was very bad; I moved out of Singapore in 2002 (before the line opened) and came back last year (after they'd changed to the Shuttle service). Thereby, by a stroke of genius, I missed the brief period when I could have actually benefited from the direct service. :twisted: :cry: :oops: :evil: :shock:
Thanks

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:07 am

:lol: zan nen ne?

Postby Guest » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 6:30 pm

One of the reasons they don't operate an "express" service to Changi or in general, is because it's an MRT and not a train line. With only two tracks total, they couldn't afford to build extra or dedicated express lines for these mrts to operate on, unlike Japan that can afford to do so. Singapore would have to restructure the whole entire MRT line just to be able to operate in this fashion. It would be nice though, as like many others, I get sick and tired of stopping at every single station and having to change at Tanah Merah to get to Changi. The MRT is so damn slow to begin with and always, no matter the time of day, crowded. Especially the worst line of all going from City Hall east towards Pasir Ris. Oh well, life goes on...

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Yutenji » Mon, 28 Feb 2005 5:51 pm

Thanks, but ...
Anonymous wrote:... With only two tracks total, they couldn't afford to build extra or dedicated express lines ... Singapore would have to restructure the whole entire MRT line just to be able to operate in this fashion.

Actually, while I agree it would take a lot of work, they only need to provide the extra lines at the stations. Then the express trains would 'leapfrog' the slower trains while they (the slow trains) are stopped at the stations. Definitely a tough and non-trivial task, but Singapore is pretty good at thinking ahead, organising these things and getting them done. [Which is why I'm so suprised that they cocked-up the Changi route so badly :roll: :( ]

Anonymous wrote:The MRT is so damn slow to begin with and always, no matter the time of day, crowded.

Hmmm, definitely more crowded than it was a couple of years back, but still quite ok compared with UK or Japan.

Anyway, thanks again to you and the others who responded to this.