Singapore Expats

For-profit vs. Not-for-profit international schools

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
ginger_bread

For-profit vs. Not-for-profit international schools

Post by ginger_bread » Sat, 17 Mar 2018 10:44 pm

I have read some discussions here about for-profit vs. not-for-profit International Schools in Singapore.

I've learnt recently that not-for-profit schools in Singapore register as charities with the Singapore Government. (I am not sure I am allowed to post websites; you may google charity portal Singapore to see which schools are registered charities.)

So far I can find Tanglin Trust, UWC, Singapore American School, International Community School, German European School, Swiss School, Hollandse School, Lycee Francaise (French school), Japanese School (I did not check all the schools)

I remember someone mentioned that Nexus is a not-for-profit school but I cannot find it listed as a charity.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: For-profit vs. Not-for-profit international schools

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 9:27 am

ginger_bread wrote:I have read some discussions here about for-profit vs. not-for-profit International Schools in Singapore.

I've learnt recently that not-for-profit schools in Singapore register as charities with the Singapore Government. (I am not sure I am allowed to post websites; you may google charity portal Singapore to see which schools are registered charities.)

So far I can find Tanglin Trust, UWC, Singapore American School, International Community School, German European School, Swiss School, Hollandse School, Lycee Francaise (French school), Japanese School (I did not check all the schools)

I remember someone mentioned that Nexus is a not-for-profit school but I cannot find it listed as a charity.
Excellent information thank you. I think you can post the website. I would agree those schools are definitely in the NFP category and notice the big absences:

Australian International School - owned by HK Investors.
Canadian International School - owned by Michael Milkin and the Russian or Albanian Mafia (if the cars they drive are any indication).

Those phucking schools should NOT be allowed to use the name of my good country or our beloved Commonwealth cousins in their name.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 2:38 pm

For the record, Nexus International School is a for-profit school owned by the Taylor's Education Group out of Malaysia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor%27 ... tion_Group
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bqazi001

Post by bqazi001 » Sat, 10 Nov 2018 8:54 am

Hi There, can someone give me feedback about international community school vs Canadian International School. My son is in grade 9 and we will be moving to Singapore soon. Currently he goes to a catholic school in Canada and is in their AP program. I have read a lot of mixed reviews for CIS and not a lot of reviews about ICS. I am looking for a school that is good academically.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 12 Nov 2018 9:43 pm

ICS is good IMO.

bqazi001

Post by bqazi001 » Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:26 pm

Thanks PNGMK. Unfortunately since we will be coming to Singapore in Feb ICS said they cannot take him as they want students to start in January if entering in the middle of the year.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:35 am

bqazi001 wrote:Thanks PNGMK. Unfortunately since we will be coming to Singapore in Feb ICS said they cannot take him as they want students to start in January if entering in the middle of the year.
Sorry about that. Sometimes the schools here are stupid and arrogant bastards considering what they charge.