Singapore Expats

Returning to Singapore: Parents renounced my PR on my behalf.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ScotSigh

Returning to Singapore: Parents renounced my PR on my behalf.

Post by ScotSigh » Sat, 17 Mar 2018 5:59 pm

Hi all,

Greetings from Scotland!

I am going to dive straight into the questions I have and the problems my partner and I are facing. We would greatly appreciate any assistance and help we can get.

We are British nationals looking to relocate to Singapore. I am scientist with a PhD and 2-3 years of Posdoc experience. I have been offered a position as A*Star however the recent changes in visa requirements of confirming a base salary of $6000 means that a postdoc salary at A*Star (~$5500) won't allow for a dependency visa for my wife - which I understand is proving to be hugely problematic for Investigators in Singapore to attract and fill research positions in academia. My wife has a 1st class degree from a top UK university and has been consistently employed in the housing sector for 5-6 years, but it appears that she may not get a S/EP pass of her own as most property-related jobs would be given to SG citizens first.

Furthermore I used to be a PR in SG until I was 13-14 years old when my parents decided to relocate to the UK and they renounced my PR status on my behalf without my knowledge (to avoid me having to serve NS - bearing in mind that I would have happily served NS if I was given the option when younger). Would I be able to reapply for PR? What would be the penalty for renouncing my PR as a child when I was completely unaware of the situation? I have been made aware that the SG government is highly critical of individuals renouncing their PR.

So we are now wondering would be the ways to circumvent the visa issues to allow my wife to relocate with me to Singapore?

We would be ever in your debt if you could help us with our questions,
ScotSigh.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Returning to Singapore: Parents renounced my PR on my behalf.

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 9:30 am

ScotSigh wrote:Hi all,

Greetings from Scotland!

I am going to dive straight into the questions I have and the problems my partner and I are facing. We would greatly appreciate any assistance and help we can get.

We are British nationals looking to relocate to Singapore. I am scientist with a PhD and 2-3 years of Posdoc experience. I have been offered a position as A*Star however the recent changes in visa requirements of confirming a base salary of $6000 means that a postdoc salary at A*Star (~$5500) won't allow for a dependency visa for my wife - which I understand is proving to be hugely problematic for Investigators in Singapore to attract and fill research positions in academia. My wife has a 1st class degree from a top UK university and has been consistently employed in the housing sector for 5-6 years, but it appears that she may not get a S/EP pass of her own as most property-related jobs would be given to SG citizens first.

Furthermore I used to be a PR in SG until I was 13-14 years old when my parents decided to relocate to the UK and they renounced my PR status on my behalf without my knowledge (to avoid me having to serve NS - bearing in mind that I would have happily served NS if I was given the option when younger). Would I be able to reapply for PR? What would be the penalty for renouncing my PR as a child when I was completely unaware of the situation? I have been made aware that the SG government is highly critical of individuals renouncing their PR.

So we are now wondering would be the ways to circumvent the visa issues to allow my wife to relocate with me to Singapore?

We would be ever in your debt if you could help us with our questions,
ScotSigh.
Have you even got an EP? I doubt you'll get one as a NS dodging ex PR (and blame your parents for slamming the door to Singapore damn hard in your face). The A* will probably get a letter with the sentence "outstanding CMPB issues" or similar. If you get through you're an excellent limit test on what the CMPB will allow in.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Returning to Singapore: Parents renounced my PR on my behalf.

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 2:46 pm

PNGMK, sadly, echoes my thoughts exactly. Good luck. I feel you will need it, just to get to 1st base (EP).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers