Singapore Expats Forum

Employment Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
aj2050

Employment Pass

Postby aj2050 » Fri, 16 Mar 2018 9:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I am holding an EP through Indian company and working in Singapore from past 4 months on deputation to client location, my wife is working on LOC. Now my client is terminating the contract. If my EP is cancelled then she will also leave her job as her employer wont give her an EP.
Is it possible as per MOM that my company retain the EP for 3-4 months, I go back to India and join offshore while she continues to work in Singapore on LOC? Have any one come across such situation?
And what will be the tax implication for us? Will it be on the number of days I get paid or for the duration EP stays.

Thanks in Advance!

Strong Eagle

Re: Employment Pass

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:06 pm

aj2050 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am holding an EP through Indian company and working in Singapore from past 4 months on deputation to client location, my wife is working on LOC. Now my client is terminating the contract. If my EP is cancelled then she will also leave her job as her employer wont give her an EP.
Is it possible as per MOM that my company retain the EP for 3-4 months, I go back to India and join offshore while she continues to work in Singapore on LOC? Have any one come across such situation?
And what will be the tax implication for us? Will it be on the number of days I get paid or for the duration EP stays.

Thanks in Advance!

If you're company is willing to continue to pay you for the three or four months, then you can keep your EP.

What is not legal is for your company to terminate your services but fail to notify MoM of your termination and cancel your EP. This would be the case if they no longer pay you but keep you on EP.

So... short answer is... if you are not working for the company, they must terminate your EP. LOC is automatically terminated as well. Anything else is cheating the system.