Singapore Expats

LTVP driver’s license

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Pinningfor2

LTVP driver’s license

Post by Pinningfor2 » Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:25 pm

Hi, can someone please tell me if I need to convert my license to a Singapore one if I am on LTVP?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: LTVP driver’s license

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:26 pm

If you are going to drive you will need to convert your license, if not, no need.

Pinningfor2

Post by Pinningfor2 » Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:53 pm

Thank you for the info. Yes I will need to drive so I’ll have a look at how to do it.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:58 am

You can convert anytime but after 12 months in Sg you can no longer (legally) drive. Conversion involves a theory test and the wait time to sit can be up to 3 months. Best factor that in, it's easy to get caught out.

Pinningfor2

Post by Pinningfor2 » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:06 am

So if I live in Singapore for more than 12 months under LTVP, I’ll be able to drive only for the first 12 months? Do I get an option to renew?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 12:27 pm

Pinningfor2 wrote:So if I live in Singapore for more than 12 months under LTVP, I’ll be able to drive only for the first 12 months?
Correct, on your existing licence.
Pinningfor2 wrote:Do I get an option to renew?
To continue driving after 12 months you need to convert your licence to a Sg licence.

You also will not be able to get insurance after your first 12 months without a Sg licence.

Pinningfor2

Post by Pinningfor2 » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 1:13 pm

Oic. I misunderstood what you said earlier. That’s perfect then. I’ll just get a sg license as soon as I can. They do require proof of living in SG as I tried earlier before I got my LTVP and they won’t give me one.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 9:06 pm

There are a LOT of expats playing silly games around this and using EP renewals and LTVP renewals (or expiry dates more likely) as excuses to say they will not be resident more than 12 months in a single period. This will eventually attract a crack down I expect. The main issue to ensure you are insured. Driving without valid insurance is a far worse offense it seems that not having converted your licence. I was arrested road side for this many years ago and it was not 12 months that was the issue but rather that a foreigner cannot drive a goods vehicle with valid insurance, (at least at that time).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!