Singapore Expats Forum

IT Positions

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

plaxibo26

IT Positions

Postby plaxibo26 » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 4:51 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to relocate to Singapore, but having trouble finding any positions in IT open to someone who is not a local. I don't want to relocate without a securing a job.

Has anyone had luck finding a position in IT from outside Singapore? as it seems difficult to get anything from the Singapore agencies.

I have 10 years experiences and currently work for one of the large MNC.

Cheers,
Plaxibo.

Postby Guest » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:58 am

There are many IT jobs still available. However if the jobs can be performed by Singaporean why would they wanna go through trouble hiring foreigner?

Do you have any special skill that no singaporean have? language? New technnology thats just starting in Singapore? If the answer is no....it would be hard. There are many Singaporean IT workers with 10 years experience.

If the company had an option between two candidate of local and foreigner with similar qualification, they will always choose the local. Simplay they don't want to be bothered with immigration process and don't want to spend too much time waiting for interview and paper process.

Only thing I can tell you is be more competitive in terms of wages. Accept 1000-2000 less then what they are paying locals. I don't know where you are coming from but if you are from china, India, Indonesia....You'll still end up making better money then you home country.

Why do you think companies in USA hire asians although they have to apply for their VISAS(Their visa process is more complecated and harder to get in US)? Because asians are willing to work for much less then their american counter part will.

Choice is yours.