Singapore Expats Forum

What's wrong with my aircon?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Shadou
Regular
Regular

What's wrong with my aircon?

Postby Shadou » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:09 pm

I seem to be having a major problem with my aircon unit for the past 6 months and at this point in time, I'm not sure what to do. The aircon unit in my bedroom leaks water every few weeks, even though this unit is only 3 years old. It's a McQuay aircon, I run it at medium speed and I always leave my doors closed when it's on so it's not working harder to cool a bigger space. Every few weeks for the last 6 months, this has been occuring and everytime a repairman comes out to fix it, I'm told that it shouldn't happen again. But it always does. I have now used four different aircon service companies, and they all say that it needs a chemical wash due to algae growth. I have now had that done TWICE but yet it still leaks. And each time, it's more than $150 out of my own pocket. My landlord won't pay as he says it's my responsiblity (it's in my contract). Well, I refuse to pay to have it fixed and have now told my landlord that he needs to get the aircon replaced as this is getting to be to much.

Does anyone have any advice on what could be causing the drainpipe to constantly get clogged? The repairmen don't seem to know what the problem is. The only option I see is to get the whole unit replaced. Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:46 pm

I've had the same problem. Its due to a build up of jelly-ish algae blocking the drainage pipe.

Usually, after a chemical cleaning or just the repairman suction-cleaning the pipe, its goes away for a few months right?

Well, my repairman threw in his two cents and said if I'd stop smoking and lighting incense in an enclosed space, there would be less algae! Seems like a little more inconvenience than I was willing to deal with, so I got a new aircon (old one was a National) - and a new repairman to fix it too! :lol:

No problems so far, but then again, its only a couple of months old. Try Whirlpool aircons maybe?

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yoongf » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 9:03 am

As previously mentioned, it's due to the buildup of algae in the drain pipe.

Buildup usually occurs when the condensate water has to travel a long horizontal distance before dropping into some U trap or drain. The long horizontal distance means water travels slowly, like a meandering river delta, depositing algae along the pipe walls. It's not related to the brand of aircon, but the installation of the pipe. When service companies come to clean, they just use a brush to scrub a short section of the pipe, not the entire length.

To prevent such buildup, I pour drain cleaner into the pipe occasionally. Just pour some powder into the drip pan and then pour some hot water.

me too

Postby me too » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:47 am

I've been having the same problems as OP and used several companies without much success.

Now my aircon is dying and needs replacing anyway.

My current aircon is a National and has lasted me about 8 years. Is this a good lifespan for an aircon that is used about 4 hours every night at about 22 degrees C?

I've been thinking of getting all aircons replaced with a centralised unit but don't know whether my condo management will have any problems with that as the condensor unit is different from all others in size and shape. Do I need their permission to go ahead and change to a different size and shape? All the condensor units in my condo are facing inward and are not visible from the exterior unless one specifically looks for them near the garbage chute. i.e. not viewable from roadside or general public view, yet outside my units walls.

Also, what brans and models of our traditional split aircons are great and economical? I was thinking of Mitsubishi Starmex or LG or Daewoo instead of Japanese brands...

Perhaps even Carrier or so as I want a very sturdy aircon this time around.

Thanks!

moloch71
Regular
Regular

Postby moloch71 » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:23 am

Bummer dude .... sounds like the problem is endemic to alot of people, the price you pay for living in a hot environment eh ?

You could always get an indoor pot plant underneath the water drips tho ! :)