Singapore Expats

PR appln timing advice for divorce-in-progress mom

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kozizi

PR appln timing advice for divorce-in-progress mom

Post by kozizi » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 3:59 pm

Hello forum members,
Been a silent reader on this forum for a long time, hoping to get some advice this time ...

I'm an Indian/33/Female, been in SG for 3 years on EP, and have 3 NOAs now. Have a 2yo daughter with me here on DP, and my mom is currently here as well on LTVP to care for my daughter while I'm at work.
Husband lives in India and we are in the middle of a divorce (case filed in India already). He has never lived in SG (though he held a DP once that has since expired). Contested divorce cases take way too long in India, could be 5yrs / 10yrs or more :roll: before the case concludes, so as of now I have no visibility into when I will get legal closure on the marriage.

I am quite keen on raising my daughter here in SG for multiple reasons, and would therefore like to apply for a PR. I know, given my ethnicity, a PR is a long shot, but if I never apply then I'll never get it for sure, as one of the forum members here likes to often say :wink: . Problem is, I am not able to decide whether to (a) apply for PR right away, along with my daughter, or (b) apply for PR after the divorce cases is concluded and I have the court's decree in hand.

The issue I see with (a) is that right now I am still legally married, so it may be perceived as a weak application, i.e. not applying with 'full' family, while in the case of (b) it would be very clear to ICA that my full family comprises of myself & kid only. Going with (a) means I can get started with my application attempts, and even if the first one is rejected, at least I would have 'failed faster'.. Don't know how many years it would take before I get to (b)

Any thoughts or suggestions, to help me decide on the way forward with regard to PR application are welcome..

Thank you very much
~ Kozizi

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: PR appln timing advice for divorce-in-progress mom

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 5:04 pm

Single mothers can and do get PR. My hairdresser from Malaysia is exactly that. I would apply. I would also investigate faster divorce options. You could possibly obtain a divorce through Singapore?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

kozizi

Post by kozizi » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 5:23 pm

Thank you PNGMK.
I am working on faster divorce options in India - mutual consent divorce - which concludes within about 6 months to 1yr of filing, however it is not looking very feasible at the moment as husband and I haven't reached an agreement yet (still hoping we'll be able to reach middle ground)
Didn't apply for divorce here as Singapore generally awards joint custody while I am aiming for sole custody of the child (she has never lived with her father, nor does he pay for her upbringing anyway, but now wants the child as well as money from me).

Is there any section in the e-PR form where one can specify that a divorce case is in progress..? Because generally forms just have black & white options such as single / married / divorced etc, not in-between options.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 7:31 pm

Ticked divorced. By the time PR comes you'll either be there or close enough to show paperwork for it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!