Singapore Expats Forum

National Service Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

laaussi

National Service Singapore

Postby laaussi » Thu, 08 Mar 2018 8:08 pm

Hi there,
My boyfriend is born in Singapore and moved to Australia with his parents and siblings at the age of 8. He is turning 19 soon and currently studying. So far i know Singapore delayed his NS as he is currently studying but wants him to serve by the age of 21 now. The thing is he knows exactly what he wants to achieve in his life and serving NS does not involve that, especially because he lived mainly in Australia and feels more Australian. He is worrying a lot because the day will come at some point and he has big plans for his future and me too. He would give up his singaporean citizienship but of course he does not want to become a enemy of the country. He means the world to me and I am trying to find a way out of it for him. Is there anything we could do?
Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Nadine

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: National Service Singapore

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 08 Mar 2018 8:57 pm

Yes. Encourage him to man up and do his NS. Nothing else keeps all options open.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 08 Mar 2018 8:58 pm

Yes. Encourage him to man up and do his NS. Nothing else keeps all options open. FYI he probably cannot give up his SC this late anyways as he most likely has not followed the requirements to emigrate without an NS obligation.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
Tax advice? CPA

laaussi

Postby laaussi » Thu, 08 Mar 2018 9:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:Yes. Encourage him to man up and do his NS. Nothing else keeps all options open.

Its not like he would not do it at all. If he really has to, he has no choice. Of course he is a bit intimidated and reared differently in Australia. But don't you think it is a bit unfair for someone who has not been in Singapore for more than 10 years and is Citizen of another country to not give him the choice to choose if he wants to join or not? He feels Australian and wants to build a career and then he will be ripped out of it for something he does not even want to do and where he feels no connection to it at all for two years? Don't get me wrong we both hold high regard towards your culture. Moreover I am not really sure if I am even allowed to stay and work in Singapore for that amount of time.
Thanks for any help and advice.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Postby BBCDoc » Thu, 08 Mar 2018 9:41 pm

Fair or unfair is completely relevant to Singapore’s national interests. Perhaps if he were to be a registered, active member of ‘unhealthy interest’ groups, then they may have no interest in having him gain knowledge in military operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 6:39 am

laaussi wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Yes. Encourage him to man up and do his NS. Nothing else keeps all options open.

Its not like he would not do it at all. If he really has to, he has no choice. Of course he is a bit intimidated and reared differently in Australia. But don't you think it is a bit unfair for someone who has not been in Singapore for more than 10 years and is Citizen of another country to not give him the choice to choose if he wants to join or not? He feels Australian and wants to build a career and then he will be ripped out of it for something he does not even want to do and where he feels no connection to it at all for two years? Don't get me wrong we both hold high regard towards your culture. Moreover I am not really sure if I am even allowed to stay and work in Singapore for that amount of time.
Thanks for any help and advice.

Blame his parents, not Singapore. There is literally a brochure available from CMPB that shows how to correctly emigrate and void the NS obligations. Getting onto a plane and just flying off is not the correct method. He's been in Australia since the age of 9 by my count; he could have emigrated and avoided NS if his parents had just picked up the phone and called CMPB before they left Singapore. It's NOT Singapore's fault.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
Tax advice? CPA

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 12 Mar 2018 5:58 pm

laaussi wrote:My boyfriend is... turning 19 soon and currently studying... The thing is he knows exactly what he wants to achieve in his life...

famous last words!

also, if he simply ignores the NS call ups, and gets caught when his plane lands in Singapore (whether planned or not - bearing in mind the kangaroo route)...

there will be a bigger price to pay.

so, take the advice of the others and tell him to sort it out now.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

vlogin

Postby vlogin » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 10:02 pm

Do not cross post the same thread in multiple forums. It only confuses things.

Your post will be read and addressed if there is anyone knowledgeable enough to answer your questions.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:52 am

vlogin wrote:Do not cross post the same thread in multiple forums. It only confuses things.

Your post will be read and addressed if there is anyone knowledgeable enough to answer your questions.

We have a new mod?! :P
Arrested? Lawyer Up
Tax advice? CPA