Singapore Expats

Conversational Mandarin classes for non-chinese kids

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
kozizi

Conversational Mandarin classes for non-chinese kids

Post by kozizi » Thu, 08 Mar 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Members,
I am non-chinese, and would like my 2y+ daughter to start learning Mandarin early. I am looking for a classroom-based program that focuses more on verbal communication, than writing. The idea is for her to pick up another language, not really to prepare for primary school. I've looked at the websites of some of the chinese language schools in town and can't really tell how good they are with toddler classes, especially for non-chinese speaking folks.. Any recommendations based on your experience? Central/East would be good.
Thank you very much!

Adamly2006

Re: Conversational Mandarin classes for non-chinese kids

Post by Adamly2006 » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 3:29 pm

Better to find a play mate for her. Where do you live? My daughter is 3+ and my son is 1 yr. my daughter now can speak both English and mandarin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chloe3

Post by Chloe3 » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 9:58 pm

I just signed up my 5 year old girl and 2 year old boy in Youle Mandarin Enrichment School in Tanglin Shopping Centre. They have different program for different age group. My boy is in a parent accompanied playgroup while girl is in speech & drama. They offering satisfaction guaranteed, can refund within 30 days.

chelsealee

Post by chelsealee » Tue, 10 Apr 2018 4:06 pm

Maybe you can try Mandarin lessons online for kids. I sign up for my son last month, I think it's flexible and efficient.
https://www.echineselearning.com/services/kids-chinese/

EllenaZhang

Post by EllenaZhang » Fri, 18 May 2018 8:30 pm

Online classes is really convenient, my son is studying in Lingo Bus,take a Chinese class in the car, place of your choice!

Answers?
Regular
Regular

Post by Answers? » Sun, 17 Jun 2018 6:47 pm

Jennifer Smith wrote:Since your child is only 2+ years old, you can consider going for the YCT classes (for young kids that can eventually take the HSK exams) at kirinmandarin.com
My child took their classes before under Ms Zhang. You can try contacting her at 83593876 to see if she still has slots for her classes. There is one free trial class so you should check that out!
Why is that? The site says "designed for kids from 5-17 years old" so 2 sounds a bit early doesn't it? You wouldn't by chance be a Chinese tutor at the school, would you? After all, you are using a nick that is like using "John Doe" in the USA.

MariaGiovanni

Post by MariaGiovanni » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 2:35 pm

EllenaZhang wrote:Online classes is really convenient, my son is studying in Lingo Bus,take a Chinese class in the car, place of your choice!
Hi! I was previously considering private tutoring for my child but online classes seem quite good from what you've mentioned. Could I ask how the online classes are? Are they similar to language learning apps that are avail for free on the app stores.