Singapore Expats

I feel so sad having to choose between SG and Canada

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
esperanza_ca

I feel so sad having to choose between SG and Canada

Post by esperanza_ca » Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:13 pm

I am originally from China and have studied and worked in Singapore, on and off for more than 8 years. However, due to the tightening of immigration after 2008, my attempts at obtaining SPR were repeatedly frustrated.

Disheartened (and honestly, feeling resentful), I applied for permanent residence in Canada and the application was approved without a hitch. I became a PR of Canada early last year, but instantly returned to Singapore to continue my employment here for another year. The plan was to leave for Canada mid-2018.

However, for reasons best known not even to myself, I made my last attempt at SPR last year, and this application was approved last month! I have already received my NRIC. I guess I had expected this application to be also rejected, making my move to Canada psychologically easier.

For various reasons, a decision must be made now on whether to remain or to leave.

I guess it is good that I have a choice to make (and I should feel blessed), but since I am unable to maintain residence in both places (unless I marry a Canadian citizen while living in Singapore, which is out of the question), the decision to remain or leave means that the other status will lapse eventually. I am very torn between the two choices.

I love Canada for his democratic institutions, freedom, tolerance (LGBT rights are relevant to me), vast and beautiful land, no crowding, transparency in the naturalization process, and an opportunity to start over (I do not quite like my current job/profession here).

I love Singapore mainly because she is my first love, despite everything. In addition, I like the convenience, excellent infrastructure, a sense of familiarity, an apparent sense of belonging (I am the majority race here), and having a job (which, as I said, I do not quite like, but it pays my bills very well).

Should I follow my heart and start all over? Or should I heed the admonition that one may go further and fare worse? These are tough decisions for me ...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: I feel so sad having to choose between SG and Canada

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 08 Mar 2018 12:08 am

From a practical perspective: There is nothing "permanent" about a Singapore permanent residence permit. Sure, if you never, ever leave the country, you will never lose your residency but you can lose your REP for a variety of reasons, including having no job for an extended period of time or being out of the country for an extended period of time.

Canada's permanent residency is just that... permanent. The only way you will lose it is to commit a criminal act or violate residency terms... like never living in Canada.

If having reliable residency is important to you, that is, you want to ensure that you don't end up back in the country of your passport if things go backwards, then Canada is the logical choice.

Shitpot of snow, though... I know... I was born there.

esperanza_ca

Post by esperanza_ca » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 8:32 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:From a practical perspective: There is nothing "permanent" about a Singapore permanent residence permit. Sure, if you never, ever leave the country, you will never lose your residency but you can lose your REP for a variety of reasons, including having no job for an extended period of time or being out of the country for an extended period of time.

Canada's permanent residency is just that... permanent. The only way you will lose it is to commit a criminal act or violate residency terms... like never living in Canada.

If having reliable residency is important to you, that is, you want to ensure that you don't end up back in the country of your passport if things go backwards, then Canada is the logical choice.

Shitpot of snow, though... I know... I was born there.
Thank you for this reply, and from a (ex?) Canadian too!. You were quite spot-on there. I do not want to end up going back to China. I am indeed leaning towards Canada for this very reason. Actually, I want to go one step further and get citizenship as soon as I am eligible to apply. In the case of Canada, it is a very transparent process, whereas for Singapore, ICA does not publish the assessment criteria; so it would just be another shot in the dark (that my SPR application was).

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Mar 2018 9:51 pm

I'm still a Canadian... and a UK citizen... and a US citizen...

This post, while anecdotal in nature, tends to sum things up about the PR and citizenship process in Singapore.

viewtopic.php?t=121453#p786574

I think the big difference between Singapore and other countries that have relatively liberal immigration policies (Canada and Australia come to mind) is that those countries really only want to determine if you will work and support yourself, and put down roots. They don't much care what color you are, or whether you're a plumber or a brain surgeon.

Singapore, OTOH, has this vision of what the future ought to be looking like, where everything is plugged into neat little boxes, and if you're going to win PR or citizenship, then you best fit into those neat little boxes as well.

Then again, you do have somewhat of a leg up... you're Chinese... part of the majority population, which the gahmen apparently wants to keep exactly that way.

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Sat, 10 Mar 2018 12:25 am

Your dilemma is the exact same as what my best friend from China had to choose from. He received his Singapore PR first in 2005 and then a year later received his Canadian PR. His desire for strong LGBT rights and having considerably more opportunities in a large country like Canada made the decision easy. Nevertheless, Singapore was home for him, and he initially missed it. However, he now lives in Vancouver as a Canadian citizen, and loves it. He made the right choice.

If you needed some time to choose, you could accept your Singapore PR and still head to Canada to give yourself a year or so to see if it suits you. If you love it, then making a trip back to Singapore later on to renounce your PR would be easy.

Good luck in your decision.

Regards,
Rob

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Sat, 10 Mar 2018 1:29 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:...countries that have relatively liberal immigration policies (Canada and Australia come to mind)...
The key word there might be "relatively" as far as Oz is concerned.

I had hoped to relocate there and get PR, but I'm now too old (over 45) and not rich enough (don't have a few million dollars spare).

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 3:46 am

Strong Eagle wrote:From a practical perspective: There is nothing "permanent" about a Singapore permanent residence permit.
Same with citizenship. Singapore has been known to strip people of their citizenship.

Ljaz

Post by Ljaz » Fri, 20 Sep 2019 5:16 pm

esperanza_ca wrote:
Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:13 pm
I am originally from China and have studied and worked in Singapore, on and off for more than 8 years. However, due to the tightening of immigration after 2008, my attempts at obtaining SPR were repeatedly frustrated.

Disheartened (and honestly, feeling resentful), I applied for permanent residence in Canada and the application was approved without a hitch. I became a PR of Canada early last year, but instantly returned to Singapore to continue my employment here for another year. The plan was to leave for Canada mid-2018.

However, for reasons best known not even to myself, I made my last attempt at SPR last year, and this application was approved last month! I have already received my NRIC. I guess I had expected this application to be also rejected, making my move to Canada psychologically easier.

For various reasons, a decision must be made now on whether to remain or to leave.

I guess it is good that I have a choice to make (and I should feel blessed), but since I am unable to maintain residence in both places (unless I marry a Canadian citizen while living in Singapore, which is out of the question), the decision to remain or leave means that the other status will lapse eventually. I am very torn between the two choices.

I love Canada for his democratic institutions, freedom, tolerance (LGBT rights are relevant to me), vast and beautiful land, no crowding, transparency in the naturalization process, and an opportunity to start over (I do not quite like my current job/profession here).

I love Singapore mainly because she is my first love, despite everything. In addition, I like the convenience, excellent infrastructure, a sense of familiarity, an apparent sense of belonging (I am the majority race here), and having a job (which, as I said, I do not quite like, but it pays my bills very well).

Should I follow my heart and start all over? Or should I heed the admonition that one may go further and fare worse? These are tough decisions for me ...
Hi, may I know how do you apply for Canadian PR?

esperanza_ca

Post by esperanza_ca » Sun, 06 Oct 2019 12:23 pm

Ljaz wrote:
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 5:16 pm
Hi, may I know how do you apply for Canadian PR?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... entry.html

All the best!

hkmapleleaf

Post by hkmapleleaf » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 12:16 am

On the flip side...me a Canadian here got my Singapore citizen in principal here...wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation and decided to switch to being singaporean before? or have any of you considered taking it up but backed down eventually?

Thank you

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 09 Oct 2019 3:53 am

hkmapleleaf wrote:
Wed, 09 Oct 2019 12:16 am
On the flip side...me a Canadian here got my Singapore citizen in principal here...wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation and decided to switch to being singaporean before? or have any of you considered taking it up but backed down eventually?

Thank you
There are two reasons that I would be cautious about Singapore citizenship.

You must revoke your Canadian citizenship. And this means doing it the official way in front of Canadian officials. Once done, you can't get your Canadian citizenship back.

Your Singaporean citizenship is not absolute. It can be revoked for "You have shown by act or speech that you are disloyal or disaffected towards Singapore." They can't revoke it if it would make you stateless, however.

I suppose that if your long terms plans are to make Singapore your home, it makes sense, for the Singapore passport is a widely accepted document. From another perspective, it would also depend if you prefer to live in the rather messy situation that is Canadian parliamentary democracy, or in a Singapore pseudo-democracy where things are tightly controlled. There are benefits to each.

hkmapleleaf

Post by hkmapleleaf » Mon, 14 Oct 2019 11:41 am

Definitely not an easy decision...mixed emotions as I stepped into the high consulate last week to enquire about the process.
:?

aprilmood

Post by aprilmood » Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:40 pm

Interesting story, this is definitely not the first time that I heard about how someone waited more than long enough for their pending SG citizen application and got approved immediately right after they obtained Canadian green card.

Each person clearly has their own considerations but if I were you I would take the Canadian one. It allows you to own dual citizenship, at the same time easier access to US which clearly has a better job market.

SG citizenship does not allow you to get dual citizenship, also less much (and less interesting) job opportunities. Plus, all things being discussed above about democratic etc. are very true.

aprilmood

Post by aprilmood » Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:45 pm

aprilmood wrote:
Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:40 pm
Interesting story, this is definitely not the first time that I heard about how someone waited more than long enough for their pending SG citizen application and got approved immediately right after they obtained Canadian green card.

Each person clearly has their own considerations but if I were you I would take the Canadian one. It allows you to own dual citizenship, at the same time easier access to US which clearly has a better job market.

SG citizenship does not allow you to get dual citizenship, also less much (and less interesting) job opportunities. Plus, all things being discussed above about democratic etc. are very true.
Sorry I just realized what you got is SPR not citizenship. THat's even easier a decision. Your re-entry permit linked with SPR expires only after 5 years. You can always relocate to Canada for now. Worst come to worse if you really don't find Canada any good, you always have the chance of relocating back to Singapore while still has your SPR status within the next 5 years.

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Sat, 22 Feb 2020 12:40 am

esperanza_ca wrote:
Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:13 pm
an apparent sense of belonging (I am the majority race here)
One wonders why you left China.